MTG Storyline - 01 - The Brothers' War - V1.7 - WTH 0.13.1

A place to find all custom made campaigns, mods and to discuss the story mode and how to create mods.
abrasax

Re: MTG Storyline - 01 - The Brothers' War - V1.2 - WIP (29/35)

Post by abrasax »

Gustaph_Robert wrote:Hey Abra I loved your magic-story-based-campaign (lol big name) I googled the history of wagic some weeks after getting wagic there's a lot of stories out there !!!But let's go to the subject in fact;
------>Could you help me edit my "Gemstone Array" card I don't know how to do it ...
Open the mtg.txt in your RES/SETS/PRIMITIVES/ folder and replace the code of gemstone array with the one provided.
Gustaph_Robert wrote:------>Can you tell to me all the sets images that I have to download to have a full "picturized" experience ?
That has nothing to do with my campaign, but look here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=726
wololo wrote:Abrasax, don't hesitate to contact me directly for the improvements you need to be added in the code. I'll try to gather a list of requirements from the forums, but I'm getting dragged away by all my current coding projects.
Right now I've revised my priority, as you see I've just coded the rules.txt in order to have an opponent deck and a player deck and as well some cards already in play, hand or graveyard (as for the 1st challenge... By the way I was suprised to see that in the first challenge the wingame condition doesn't trigger with the "steal artifact"....)

So far I could do more or less always what I wanted to, the only issue was the "non-coded" cards, even if those are only needed in the campaign for the "flavor" and not for their abilities, I would like to be able to add some cards like mishra's workshop, Jade monolith, Mishra's war machine, Urza's avenger... etc...etc... only for the "flavor"... that would be cool if it would be possible to add some kind of "primitives" to the campaign folder... I could naturally code an "add-on" to be put in the primitive folder, but then those cards would show in the shop and in the game although they don't really work... If you can think of a solution for that that would be great...

Also the music is getting on my nerve.... if we could change the music between the chapter that would be also great... as well as customizing battlefield & phasebar and menu frame... to give more flavor of the chapter at each time...

Well I'm happy of all the positive feedback... I'm currently at chapter 32 and designed some "duel" challenge that are very hard for the end...prepare to suffer...

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!
New to wagic ? Be sure to check the following :

Bug report: Bug reporting
Help us: Add cards & Compiling.
Customize: Themes FAQ, All images thread, Abra's Mediafire folder
Saint

Post by Saint »

*sigh* finished the chapters so far then it started back at Chapter 1, no reward cuz it isen't finished yet. You should make a temp "To be continued screen" (under the name of your next chapter name) so it won't go in a loopback to chapter one but just gets stuck there until you update it and it automaticly replaces the "To be continued" part.

Just a suggestion,

Greetz,

Saint.
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Saint wrote:*sigh* finished the chapters so far then it started back at Chapter 1, no reward cuz it isen't finished yet. You should make a temp "To be continued screen" (under the name of your next chapter name) so it won't go in a loopback to chapter one but just gets stuck there until you update it and it automaticly replaces the "To be continued" part.
Good idea, well if everything's fine then the next update will be the final one...

There is no reward at the moment at all... but I may give a big amount of money for finishing it completly. I wonder how many we should value it... any thoughts ?

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

I think you can count somewhere between 100 and 300 credits per challenge. So, for the total at the end, just do a multiplication. (200 credits is the base of what a player gets when they win an easy thing such as momir, or random deck mode)
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

So that would make something like 5.000 credits...

Now, I got an issue with one of the last duel.... When I win the game crash... I have no idea why ...

Here included is "spoiler* one of the last challenges:

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I wonder what's the problem is

If someone can have a look... I would be a shame if it does not work at all because I've put some effort in this one...

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!

Saint

Post by Saint »

I'd say a reward of about 2000 and an unlock of all the sets used (think its like 3 or 4 sets used? not sure though I didn't really count) would be a good one, it's a though quest, some is based on luck but most is based on story knowledge/puzzle insight, or maybe a few "special card" rewards (4x mishra's factory and 4x Dragon Engine 4 times that or whatever, if the story ends up based in one faction (either Mishra's or Urza's you could reward them some special cards from either faction, making the replay rate atleast 2x (for the other cards)).

Just suggestions ofcourse you could go with the this challenge gets you *** credits, this challenge gets you **** credits and so on so on.

Greetz,

Saint.
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Saint wrote:I'd say a reward of about 2000 and an unlock of all the sets used (think its like 3 or 4 sets used? not sure though I didn't really count) would be a good one, it's a though quest, some is based on luck but most is based on story knowledge/puzzle insight, or maybe a few "special card" rewards (4x mishra's factory and 4x Dragon Engine 4 times that or whatever, if the story ends up based in one faction (either Mishra's or Urza's you could reward them some special cards from either faction, making the replay rate atleast 2x (for the other cards)).
Hi,

Most of this suggestions make perfectly sense (there is 3 sets fully used antiquities, revised editions and urza's saga, although Urza's saga is only fully used from chapter 4 on... there is also few cards from other sets (MRD 10E, M10), but those are only necessary for the challenges). The only issue is that, as far as I know the reward "choose the set" is not made now... it's only random. I also wanted to reward the player with cards (+ some explanation text) but this is also not possible yet...

At the moment I did not make the player choose the faction, with the exception of the battle in sarinth/tomakul.... but that's a good idea actually.. there is two battle at the same time either on mishra or urza's camp in the forest of argoth in chapter 4... I could make it a choice... but not for now... this two last challenges are hard...

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!

Gustaph_Robert

Post by Gustaph_Robert »

Hey Abra here I'm again
I'm here to thank you the coding scheme worked (the gems card thing)
I'd like to ask you something, my nephew is willing to play your campaign(after a lot of merchandising of my part)
The point is He is not so good at magic like me I mean magic it's not so popular to young people here in brazil.
I would like to ask you to do a little faq to you campaign with some tips (maybe a walkthrough) that wouldn't be so big and would help a lot)
He got Stuck at the roc's stuff, He came to me me and said
-Uncle (by the way I'm 17) I'm going to throw you psp through the window!!!
I asked Why...
-There's this infernal chicken that never dies ¬¬'
I'm gointo to tell the truth play wagic with someone else that enjoys it it's much more fun ! like make decks and everything else...
I don't know how to give him a tip on how to pass the roc (bcuz he told me that he does not want me to spoil and he wants to find the answer by himself,anyway he tolme me to ask to the creator a way to think got it ?)

Oh big post LOL, resuming 1-)Possible Faq 2-)tip for my Nephew

I'm sorry if I'm bothering, I know you have a real life (I guess auhauh)
Thanks for the fast reply for the other post

Gus.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Actually that's a good point. The Roc challenge is the first of the game, and it's quite tough. Maybe a hint should be displayed in the "onlose" page, like what I did in the basic tutorial (it doesn't take you directly to the previous chapter, but instead gives you a hint, and then when you click on continue, you get to the previous chapter)
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

As I said, for the moment I deberatly didn't give any tip... if I was to do it, it would eventually be too easy... But, I could make an optional "give me a tip" answer screen so that people that want to solve the challenge by themself could still do it...

I've added, here and there some "skip this challenge" in the loose screen, only for those challenges that have been reported not to work (also the duel_machine from chapter 4 and the duel_apocalypse, which is not yet released but crash the game when you win it.).

Regarding a "tip" for your nephew (and eventually for the "tip" screen) I don't know either what exacly we could give for a hint without spoiling the game... here are some proposal:
- The secret of this challenge is to get cards from both graveyards...all cards in "game" are to be used to solve this challenge.
- Use your mana wisely, to solve this challenge you need to use all but one of your land in the first turn... you can only defeat the roc by blocking it...

Well, if I have time (one day) I will eventually post a walkthrough... I must admit I trapped myself one or two time with some challenges, I've redone this campaign from the beginning several time to improve the dialog screen and by doing so I've also had to face my own challenges more than once... end eventually I was shouting in rage because I was loosing... first because I forgot how to solve them, and second because some actions needs to be peformed at a specific phase (upkeep and/or main)... if you tap your mana in the wrong phase and losse only 1 turn, it can be just enough the screw the whole challenge...

I must admit some of the challenge are particularly hard... and some are easy. There is no real "progression" in the difficulty, the roc one is really a though one, I must admit... but I don't think it is the most difficult one, because you need to use all the cards... some other challenges have "dummy" cards that are of no use to solve the challenge, if you don't know exacly what to do and you have a lot of cards in hand then that can be tricky to know exacly what is the win conditions...

I'm currently at chapter 34... also the final battle between urza & mishra, which in fact will be a "puzzle" challenge (the big final real duel between both army is just before)... after that there is only the "epilogues" (chapter 35) which is a succession of dialog screen to explain what happen after the end...designing the duel (or challenges) is what take the most time...and I only have 1 more to go... I want it to be as twisted and hard as possible... something like a chess game...where the opponent would perform some "predifined" actions... I more or less force that with the current engine...(e.g. this is the case for the challenge in terisia city...although sometime the opponent use it's mana to boost the dragon engine, instead of peforming the actions he should be doing...if you've done this challenge and don't know what I mean, then you have been lucky..)

When that is finish, I would probably go in holliday... so I will not have so much time to work on this campaign anymore... but you are free to give "correction" ideas for new challenges... additional screen, graphics... whatsoever you think could improve this campaign or its replay value... I would personnaly try, once the complete campaign is done to add more "path" to choose... that would ultimately lead to different "view" on the story (e.g. for some battle you could be urza faction or mishra faction...)... I also wanted to add some branched dialog to some of the dialog screen...

Also final release will probably come tonight (european time) or tommorow...

stay tuned.

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!