Elf Deck = LoL

All created AI or player decks. All discussion related to Wagic AI deck competion and results.
Vaalyne

Elf Deck = LoL

Post by Vaalyne »

I'm relatively new to Magic, so I don't know all the tricks and winning decks that are most commonly played. I just play around with what my own mind comes up with, and today that happened to be a Mono-Green Elf deck. I've put to use several cards that when another elf comes into play, an elf token is created.

After testing it on the random AI, I've come to the conclusion that I am unstoppable with the current list of AI decks. Honestly... it's just insane. The last game I played I must have had 20+ elves on the table, each with 4/4 attack. Not to mention a few of those Scion avatar guys that get attack and defense based on your army count. I popped an Overrun, attacked with everything, and must have done upwards of 200 damage. All by turn... 8 or so. It's pretty hilarious, and the only thing that was able to curb (not eliminate) my winning streak was the white deck with Armageddon and Swords of Pillowshire. Even when my entire army was destroyed, I had plenty of things in my hand to get it started again.

I'm thinking for my next deck, I'll try a Blue/Green combo, so I can control my opponent while I build my army. Unsummon, Persuasion, etc. Keep in mind I've also followed the basic rule of no more than four of one card type. I think my deck is in the realm of fair... so I'm guessing this sort of deck is O.K. in tournament play? I don't really know, but it sure is fun to play!
leungclj

Re: Elf Deck = LoL

Post by leungclj »

tournament play,

there is different type of tournament game.

most popluar is Standard,
where you use the 2 most current block and the latest core set. Which will be very soon: Magic2011, Zendikar block, and Shards of Alara block.

then is extended,
which allows a lot more cards to be played, which you may be able to build a real elf deck to play.

anyways, Elf deck is always fun to play ;)
????????????????????????????????????????????????????
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

have you played against the white AI decks? I'm thinking of Silverblade and good knight. Those are extremely fast decks and sometimes it's difficult to beat them.
I agree though that the AI is no match against a well constructed agro deck, such as elves.
Vaalyne

Post by Vaalyne »

Oh yeah, the white decks can sometimes give me a run for my money for sure.

I just recently added the Ears of the Elves deck from DotP into my deck list, and it's actually very very good against the AI as well. Even with the white decks, they can rarely get me into danger zone unless I pull no mana first turn.

There was one particular white deck that did in fact beat me, though. The son of a biscuit would play too many Vigilante/Haste/First Strike cards before I could get an army started. I'd be somewhere around 5-8 HP by the time I had any sort of chance.

Oh and a quick note:

I was able to get a fully working Ears of the Elves deck into Wagic, minus two cards; Gaea's Herald, Coat of Arms
I was able to get a fully working Mind of Void deck into Wagic, minus two cards; Condemn, Counterbore
I was able to get a fully working Relics of Doom deck into Wagic, minus one card; Sharding Sphinx

I assume these cards haven't been programmed in yet, so I'll leave it at that. (Although I found all of them in cards_.txt...)

I'm going to continue building the DotP decks just because they're nice preconstructed decks for people to get started with! I'll upload them once I've finished :)
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

Vaalyne wrote:I'm relatively new to Magic, so I don't know all the tricks and winning decks that are most commonly played. I just play around with what my own mind comes up with, and today that happened to be a Mono-Green Elf deck. I've put to use several cards that when another elf comes into play, an elf token is created.

After testing it on the random AI, I've come to the conclusion that I am unstoppable with the current list of AI decks. Honestly... it's just insane. The last game I played I must have had 20+ elves on the table, each with 4/4 attack. Not to mention a few of those Scion avatar guys that get attack and defense based on your army count. I popped an Overrun, attacked with everything, and must have done upwards of 200 damage. All by turn... 8 or so. It's pretty hilarious, and the only thing that was able to curb (not eliminate) my winning streak was the white deck with Armageddon and Swords of Pillowshire. Even when my entire army was destroyed, I had plenty of things in my hand to get it started again.

I'm thinking for my next deck, I'll try a Blue/Green combo, so I can control my opponent while I build my army. Unsummon, Persuasion, etc. Keep in mind I've also followed the basic rule of no more than four of one card type. I think my deck is in the realm of fair... so I'm guessing this sort of deck is O.K. in tournament play? I don't really know, but it sure is fun to play!

i want to point you in the direction of saproling and "spore counter" creatures...looks those up on gatherer...i played a match tonight that me and the opponent were at a stand still, i was fighting "evil twin mode" both of us were saproling decks..."fungus" type creatures...by turn 17 we each had about 70 saproling that were 6/6 or higher, then i crashed wagic...i used Image...

and sacrificed 40 of my tokens to him....he had 80 counters on him...next upkeep rolled around and i heard a faint scream of horror from my psp...when it had to token me 80 saprolings at the same time...blue screen of death...ON PSP....yeah it can happen.

and hard Ai decks for me ...that stupid milling one...with the vises, and howling mines...he got me on a turn 3 win tonight and i cried a little tear of sadness and deleted the deck i fought him with...
Alfatron

Post by Alfatron »

I also had blue screen using Elvish Promenade on my green elf deck. I had 100+ elfs in play because when I used Wellwisher I earned 100+ life xD

I have made some changes in the deck and I will continue to change... but here's my current version
http://wagicard.webatu.com/index.php?mod=deck&op=view&id=133

I tested many tribal decks( goblins allys soldiers kithkin zombies faeris merfolk) but i never tried saproling, I will search for one to test in wagic...

I found 20 cards in
http://wagicard.webatu.com/index.php?mod=card&op=as&pag=1&cardName=&cardText=&Ocolor=or&oMana=%3D&mana=&Osubtype=or&subtype[]=173&subtype[]=241&Oabilitie=or&oPower=%3D&power=&oToughness=%3D&toughness=&n_forpage=30
that I can use for saproling tribal deck.

I think tribal deck's will be overpower if we had Coat of Arms
Yorien

Post by Yorien »

Yorien says:

I believe an elven decks is the easiest one you can get

Against white decks (specially the soldier deck) game is usually won once you get creature advantage.

Elven decks advantage is that, you can keep playing tokens almost continually continually increasing your army size, while white decks still must relly on drawn cards to increase their army, so it usually doesn't matter if in start/mid-game AI's played cards are more powerful than yours since you'll usually get card advantage and either AI won't attack or you'll overheal the damage done next turn by tapping your Wellwishers.

Also, since you get soo much mana from tapping Priests of Titania or Elvish Archdruids once two-three turns have passed and you start popping tokens like no tomorrow, a great idea (specially against white's playing Moat if you don't like to keep Elvish Hexhunters or Nullmage Shepherds in your deck), is to keep a pair of Killer Bees or Unyaro Bees in the deck, to get use of that unspent mana.

Finally, two creatures that MUST be in any elven deck are the Elvish Vanguard (1G, 1/1; gets a permanent +1/+1 every time another elf comes onto play - and this includes tokens placed by other cards -) and the Immaculate Magistrate (3G, 2/2; Tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature for each Elf you control.) that simply rape everything once they're played.
kucing

Post by kucing »

I also have an elf deck and yes it wins a lot of the games very easily. Almost all of the ones I lost, I was mana scr..ed (no mulligan :().

Unfortunately I have to say that probably 95% of the decks are rubbish when played by the AI. The AI is not very good in evaluating the gameplay.

There are a few cards that can mess up elves deck badly, for example: wrath of god, day of judgement and damnation. Once you have your armies on the field (and not many cards left in hand), one of those spells can ruin your day. Unfortunately the AI does not play good holding and timing game, which reduces the effectiveness considerably. Well placed counterspells can also delay elven deck a lot (e.g. countering the archdruid). Unfortunately the AI never ever plays any counterspell. And that is probably why the elven deck is very strong in Wagic.

I think the best AI deck against mono green elves is the one with Moat and Magus of the Moat (I forgot the deck name). Those two cards prevent non-fliers from attacking. If the Magus of the Moat or Moat cards comes out early, it can completely ruin mono green elves deck since none of their creatures are fliers. I have nullified the Moat problem by adding 4x Elvish Hexhunter (Naturalize and similar cards also work) and Magus of the Moat by adding 2x Aladdin's Rings. The rings are not very elegant but it works.
Yorien

Post by Yorien »

Yorien says:
kucing wrote: I think the best AI deck against mono green elves is the one with Moat and Magus of the Moat (I forgot the deck name). Those two cards prevent non-fliers from attacking. If the Magus of the Moat or Moat cards comes out early, it can completely ruin mono green elves deck since none of their creatures are fliers. I have nullified the Moat problem by adding 4x Elvish Hexhunter (Naturalize and similar cards also work) and Magus of the Moat by adding 2x Aladdin's Rings. The rings are not very elegant but it works.
Against "Moat" type cards... I still prefer to keep some Bees in my deck (killer bees, or Unyaro bees) against them. They may not be elves, but after you tap a Titania and an Archmage for mana (or target them with an Immaculate Magistrate) and buff those pretties to 40/41 or more... I don't mind them not being elves.

Just waiting for Nullmage Shepherd to be available instead of relying on hexhunter sacrifices.

About flyers... You may overheal most damage with wellwishers and decimate flyers with elven "archer" type cards, but I feel archers are somewhat "wasted" if the oponent doesn't play flyers so I'd still keep the bees (and since A.I. "fails" on checking your - usually - enormous mana pool available, inflatable creatures make excelent defenders/attackers)
rawsugar

Post by rawsugar »

when you guys are saying your decks are unstoppable are you talking normal or hardest difficulty?
im currently at a total card value of 160K - 2k cards, so still might have some tricks out there not available yet (tho all decks have a black lotus in them;) - why was that so cheap?), but so far im at ca 55% win w the better decks on harder dificulty...hardly unstoppable.

oh btw my input to elf vs moat:
jagged scar archers 3 mana , power and toughness=# of elves, tap to deal dmg=power to target flying should check enemy dmg
while you wait for 1 of 2 hurricane X1 mana, does X dmg to all flying and players

**** it up last game tho:
[was looking like a 8 turn fight for me, when he got moat down in 4th...]
got akromas blessing down (turn 60), artifact that gives flying, vigilance, first strike and prot from black and red to all creatures (7 mana...annoying to get in starting hand but otherwise pretty sweet),
but by then was in turn 60 and figured i might as well go for immortality (didnt get it for some reason:( 1100 life but...) but managed to **** up and destroy akroma w my own elf with come into play effect.....
a while later i got hurricane but due to recumbent bliss comp was at 160 life and as it turned out i had only mana for 150 dmg....(no way was i going to count:P), next turn i got my only so far) elvish promenade. Was my only hurricane...just added another...
in the end i won by emptying his library...was playing on harder so he was 2 cards ahead...or maybe it was that my deck was 62 cards...in any case yay me:P
Last edited by rawsugar on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.