Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Why is everyone scared of C++?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
NullBit

Re: Why is everyone scared of C++?

Post by NullBit »

I'm sure I made some mistakes in what I wrote, it was mostly off the cuff.

Anyway ...
This is false. I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say here but you're wrong. I understand Wikipedia says this (I just looked), but this is a very ignorant description of scripting languages. I think this would encompass languages more like BATCH and BOURNE SHELL scripting, but not languages like Python, Ruby, or PHP.
It is not a debate, they are scripting languages.
Typically I see any language that isn't a compiled language (C, C++, C#, Java*, Golang, etc.) being labelled as a scripting language. They're typically very dynamic and frequently pass by reference instead of by value (Looking at you Python).

* Java is compiled for the JVM.
Had to read this a few times, not exactly sure what your point is.
WHOA full-stop here. Are you seriously trying to say C# is a C language just because it has the letter C as half its name? Because if you are, you're 100% wrong ...
Multiple items here. When someone says "C Languages" they are talking about the "C Like Syntax" languages - including Java. C# is rooted in both Java 2 and C, Objective C is rooted in Smalltalk 80 and C. The "C" languages are the most pervasive as most devices are running Java on the interface and quite a bit of C on the backed. The .net framework is just that, a Windows framework, if you are not writing for Windows alone don't use it - select the best tool for the job.

For clarification check this out: http://www.digibarn.com/collections/pos ... rt-med.png
Scripting is a form of programming. Also that's not the only reason we use scripting languages. If that was, we'd just write better and better libraries instead of worr...
Pass
I personally use Golang and as long as it exists, I don't think I'll ever have a reason to go back to C++ for anything ever again (you know, excluding existing projects).
Don't pigeon hole yourself, I have seen many relevant programmers do so and have to take an entry level position because they refused to continue their education in the field. Even if you are not chasing it for a career, nothing good comes from having a closed mindset.
Advertising
nomisinformation

Post by nomisinformation »

NullBit wrote:[sic]
Your ignorance is staggering. Reread my words, cross-reference them with basically any document on subject x/y. Arguing with you would be like arguing with a highschool student, you need to have to basic knowledge to participate in basic discourse. Literally Google parts of what you said, and read the results in full, and you'll find that everything I said is correct. I didn't just write it offhand like you did ("I'm sure I made some mistakes in what I wrote, it was mostly off the cuff."), in fact I try to always assume I'm wrong, so I actually tried to find coorborating proof for your words (and obviously failed). If you were interested in an education, you'd read and understand logical arguments instead of attempting to tear educated people down "off the cuff".
NullBit wrote:Don't pigeon hole yourself, I have seen many relevant programmers do so and have to take an entry level position because they refused to continue their education in the field. Even if you are not chasing it for a career, nothing good comes from having a closed mindset.
Pigeon hole myself? Closed mindset? You might genuinely be a moron. Programming is simply a tool for computer sciences. I'm not restricted by language or syntax (Edit: you know ... excluding languages like ****), I have professionally programmed in well in over 30 languages. There's absolutely no way I'm limiting myself in that regard, the suggestion is laughable. I spend my time writing libraries, and reading papers for the most part. I plan to contribute to computer sciences as much as possible before I die. I'm literally continuing my education as much as I possibly can every single day, it's one of the things I value most. I bet you don't even really know what Golang is.

You're trying to suggest I'm ignorant because I refuted some of your aggresively ignorant statements, which isn't a logical route of thought. You need to learn much more about computer sciences as a whole before you bodly go touting nonsense as fact (going as far to cite a barely relevant image as proof of C# being a C language, which by the way to be a C language a language must be a superset of C, which C# isn't [1][2]).

Good luck, I hope you change your outlook and get educated. You seem to have a large chip on your shoulder and believe your distorted view of reality is correct. Computer sciences is just what it says in the name though, a science(s). You're never going to get anywhere in this field unless you use facts and reasoning to backup your arguments. Trying to refute well established fact "off the cuff" though, where there's an insurmountable amount of evidence on the other side, is not the way to move forward in this field.
Advertising
NullBit

Post by NullBit »

You have provided quotes from Wiki and a couple of obscure sites. If you want to back what you are talking about please come back with some IEEE papers on the matter. Shouldnt be much of a problem considering your involvment in the CompSci community. I would be happy to read them, be more educated on the subject matter, and publicly state im wrong. Also please site where i was tearing you down or insulting you, i would be happy to change how i communicate if it would help a meaningful dialoge as so far this has not been it.

Otherwise this ends as obvious troll being obvious. Please, prove me wrong :)
Ninetynine

Post by Ninetynine »

I guess the main problem here is the lack of proper educational means. The only decent book everyone suggests is Bjarne Stroustrup's one, but it's very complicated and outdated. Why not make the learning process as simple as like in this app? I know it's designed for kids who are learning math and languages, but still. Prove me wrong.
vicycleeight

Post by vicycleeight »

Probably because they weren't exposed to programming at a young enough age - I blame parents and schools. ... In computer programming (languages like assembler, C, C++), the language is a way of instructing a computer (of varying architecture and instruction set) of what to do.
kiash

Post by kiash »

Actually now people are entering into programming world by PHP or Python. Those are pretty much easy and more readable. Thats is the why when they have been tried to learn other high level languages like C++ or Java they found scared
I am a full stack python developer working as a lead developer at Slide.pub.
My personal website Kiash.io.

Return to “Programming and Security”