Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How to use Fire Emblem: Fates restoration patches with HANS

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
MyLegGuy

How to use Fire Emblem: Fates restoration patches with HANS

Post by MyLegGuy »

What are the Fire Emblem: Fates restoration patches?
===============
Pretty much, it's a rom hack for the US version of Fire Emblem: Fates that restores some JP only content. Stuff like Japanese voices.
Learn more here: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.p ... pic=60728f

What files you'll need
===============
You'll need the old version of Braindump. I don't know where you can still get it, so I uploaded it to dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z06n4orlx6brm ... d.zip?dl=0
You'll also need a romfs extractor that was created by SciresM. I couldn't find any way to get it without getting Asia81's entire packhack, so I just uploaded it to Dropbox. The zip also contains a romfs builder made by the same person. I can't like to Asia81's packhack because of reasons.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sghvskh81bld8 ... r.zip?dl=0
7-zip to extract patch files.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Steps
==============
0. This tutorial assumes you have the homebrew launch installed, have basic knowledge on how to add new homebrew to the homebrew menu, and you have HANS from the homebrew starter pack.
1. Put the old version of braindump on your 3ds. This is the one that dumps the romfs and exefs separate.
1.5 - Launch HANS with your Fire Emblem game. Choose sd->romfs. Note the filename it says it needs. Exit after you've written that down. In the screenshot, it doesn't say (invalid), but it will for you.
2. Launch braindump and select your Fire Emblem game.
3. Note the folder it says it's dumping the game to. That's where you'll find the exefs and romfs.
4. When it's done dumping, grab the romfs.bin from the directory braindump said it would dump the game to.
5. Extract it with the romfs extractor.
6. Download the patch files you want from the restoration patches thread.
7. Wait for it to finish extracting the romfs.
8. Extract the 7z files containing the patch files.
9. Go into the folder called patch, then go into the folder called rom. You should see some more folders in there.
10. Open a new file explorer window and navigate to the root of your extracted romfs.
11. Copy everything from the rom folder inside the patch folder to the root directory of the romfs. Overwrite whatever's already in there.
12. After that's done, open romfs builder.
13. Select the romfs folder in the program and press go.
14. When it's done, it'll ask you where to save the file. Remember when I asked you to write down the file name you needed for the romfs in step 1.5, name the file that name. (It'll be a few numbers and then .romfs.)
14.5 - Put your sd card in your computer.
14.9 - If there isn't a folder called hans created on the root of the sd card, create it.
15. Copy the built romfs to your sd card and put it in the location you noted in step 1.5.
(It should be something like /hans/numbers.romfs)
16. Wait
17. Launch HANS with your Fire Emblem: Fates game.
18. Select romfs->sd. If it doesn't say that the path is invalid, you're good.
19. You're now done, as long as it works.

Hope this works for you guys. Please post if you're having any problems.
Advertising
Last edited by MyLegGuy on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Minsanity

Re: How to use Fire Emblem: Fates restoration patches with H

Post by Minsanity »

on step 14, how many numbers am I suppose to put in to rename the .romfs? the last 6 digits..last 8 digits..all 16?
and what about step 15..am I really suppose to put the .romfs inside the folder that has the exefs.bin and romfs.bin?
I just keep getting invalid for step 18 and I'm not sure what or where did I do wrong ,';^/
Advertising
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

Minsanity wrote:on step 14, how many numbers am I suppose to put in to rename the .romfs? the last 6 digits..last 8 digits..all 16?
and what about step 15..am I really suppose to put the .romfs inside the folder that has the exefs.bin and romfs.bin?
I just keep getting invalid for step 18 and I'm not sure what or where did I do wrong ,';^/
Launch your Fire Emblem game with HANS.
Choose romfs -> sd. It'll tell you the path there.

It looks like it'll be the last 8 numbers.

So
/hans/lastEightNumbersOfTitleId.romfs

What you name it on your computer doesn't matter, it just needs to be in the correct spot when you copy it to your sd.
please reply
Minsanity

Post by Minsanity »

Man I had to wait for my off-day in order to do all this and now today it worked, tyvm for a great guide for a tech dummy such as me! ;^)

this exactly worked for me on my New 3DS XL FirmWare 10.7.0-32U with the Western region of FE:Fates SE and the hans that came with the homebrew by smea's starter kit using the OoT3Dhax + powersaves method

I think you should also tell homebrew/HANs newcomers on step 15 that you should make a new folder called hans (no capitals) in your 3DS SD card..you have to make the location when you're using the HANs software to open the romfs file ~> SD in the correct path
Naotox10

Post by Naotox10 »

I did every step and everything was going fine until I launch HANS with my fire emblem fates game. The screens go black before two horizontal colored strips appear on the left side of the top screen and my 3ds freezes. I've repeated launching HANS several times with the same results. Is there anyway to fix this?
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

Naotox10 wrote:I did every step and everything was going fine until I launch HANS with my fire emblem fates game. The screens go black before two horizontal colored strips appear on the left side of the top screen and my 3ds freezes. I've repeated launching HANS several times with the same results. Is there anyway to fix this?
I don't know.
Maybe you did something wrong?
please reply
Naotox10

Post by Naotox10 »

MyLegGuy wrote:
Naotox10 wrote:I did every step and everything was going fine until I launch HANS with my fire emblem fates game. The screens go black before two horizontal colored strips appear on the left side of the top screen and my 3ds freezes. I've repeated launching HANS several times with the same results. Is there anyway to fix this?
I don't know.
Maybe you did something wrong?
Possibly, this is my first time doing something like this. But I don't know what went wrong. I'll just redo everything and see if that changes or fixes anything.
Ansatsu

Post by Ansatsu »

Hi there. I was referred to this guid by thedude28 from Serenes Forest if you choose to patch the game using HANS. However, I noticed that this guide is written for the restoration patch for the NA Fire Emblem Fates. I was wondering if your guide can also be used for playing the translation patch for JPN Fire Emblem if version? I have a physical copy of the game and homebrew installed on Firware 10.7. I'm asking this since I'm rather new to the homebrew scene and all other guides seem to have either become outdated or are more tedious by using CFW other than HANS.
nyeongcat

Post by nyeongcat »

Ansatsu wrote:Hi there. I was referred to this guid by thedude28 from Serenes Forest if you choose to patch the game using HANS. However, I noticed that this guide is written for the restoration patch for the NA Fire Emblem Fates. I was wondering if your guide can also be used for playing the translation patch for JPN Fire Emblem if version? I have a physical copy of the game and homebrew installed on Firware 10.7. I'm asking this since I'm rather new to the homebrew scene and all other guides seem to have either become outdated or are more tedious by using CFW other than HANS.
Hello! I'm not the OP but I hope my answer is okay. xD

I believe this method will work for any patches that are similar. The only differences would be that you would use the patches that were made specifically for the Japanese version of FE. As well, the .romfs file which is the end-product of these steps would be renamed to the title id of the Japanese version.
runoverbyelvis

Post by runoverbyelvis »

I've followed every step on this to the point, trying to install the name patch, and everything seems to be working...except the chapter names have mysteriously vanished on the save files. On my first attempt the chapter names were there, but there were some glaring errors I had to fix so the game was playable. Is there any way to restore the text in that one specific area? Thanks.

Return to “Tutorials”