Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Read Epubs/Mobi Files on PSP

All the Help you need is here
Smoker1

Read Epubs/Mobi Files on PSP

Post by Smoker1 »

The Following requires
Calibre (EBook Library/Converter). Is like Nook for PC or which ever other PC based EReader for Windows, Mac or Linux
http://calibre-ebook.com/
Next you need either Bookr, or any of the Mods of Bookr like zBookr
zBookr: http://zbookr.narod.ru
WinRAR for the HTMLZ part.

I was looking for anyway to be able to read a Epub/Mobi on a PSP/Vita. but for some reason, all the Viewers I tried either has Errors, or would not work right, or in the case of PSPKVM+Mobipocket Reader, would not detect the MemCard on either Devices. PSPKVM+Albite Reader would not open them either. Bookr would not work with PDF Files even though it should. So, over on GBATemp, I found a Solution thanks to other Users Input.
So, make sure you have WinRAR already Installed. For BookR, we will start with the HTMLZ Files

Install Calibre and run the Program
For all your Books, go to the left side top and hit the Drop Down Arrow by Add Books and Select
Add Books from Directories, including Sub-Directories (Multiple Books per Directory). After you are done, you will see all your Books. Also, they will be copied to the following location:
C:/Users/*User Name*/My Documents/Calibre Library

Now for the Following Steps, they will work for BOTH FB2 and HTMLZ.
Select which Books you want for reading on your Vita/PSP
Right Click on them or Select the Arrow Drop Down by Convert Books and Select either Convert Individually or Bulk Conversion.

Over on the Top Right you will see EPUB. Hit that Drop down and Select either FB2 or HTMLZ.
On the left Side Option Listings, Select Table of Contents
In this Menu, Check Mark "Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents" so that you will keep the Chapter Listings from the original Listings in the EPUB/Mobi.
Nothing more is needed from what I have seen, so press OK.

It will now Process the Book/s you Selected. You can see the Progress by selecting the Bottom Right where it says Jobs and waiting.
When it is done, go to the Calibre Library and take the FB2 Files and place them where you want on your PSP/Vita MemCard.

As for the HTMLZ Files, they are basically just RAR Files containing the Following
Folder/Images/ 2 Cover Image Files
/Cover.jpg
/METADATA.OPF
/STYLE.CSS
and
/index.html <--- Book
Open the HTMLZ File with WinRAR and Extract the Contents in it's own Folder. Basically you will have 1 Folder for each Book with the Contents described.
Take those Folders and place them where you want in your PSP/Vita MemCARD

FB2 Files work with zBookr. They will work with the Normal Version of Bookr, but you will get odd Symbols everywhere for Paragraphs, Quotes, you name it.

HTML Files will work for both, however, you will be VERY low on Memory apparently due to the Cover Image that comes up. In this Case, follow the Error Instructions that come up.
Press Triangle so the Web Options show up
Go over to Tools/Settings/View Settings/
Go down to Conserve Memory and Select ON
It will now go much faster. Suggest doing this from the XMB so hopefully it will stick.

Personally, FB2 Files will be better since you can Rotate them 90 Degrees so that you can view the Books better instead of Landscape Mode.
zBookr on Vita using FB2 Files.jpg
zBookr on Vita using FB2 Files.jpg (190.29 KiB) Viewed 11463 times
Advertising
PS3(BC60GB): 4.65 Rebug CFW
PSP 3000 (03g): 6.20 PRO-C2 (128GB->MicroSD Adapter)
Vita: 3.65 Enso HENkaku - Vita(3G) 400GB+SD2Vita (256GB)
N3DS XL : 11.8 Luma3DS
GPD XD1 (64GB) Rooted
GPD Win1
ali_ihsan21

Re: Read Epubs/Mobi Files on PSP

Post by ali_ihsan21 »

Take a look at my topic too, I collected a few applications which run over pspkvm. There are epub readers sing them too but I'm afraid no mobi.

They're very function which you can control auto scroll speed, colors, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42875

Back in 2005 PSP was a great ebook reader considering its screen size to most of the mobile phones ( my pda had half its size probably) but now mobile phones such as note series have better and larger screen, more functional applications and also I can charge one battery on a external charger while using the phone. Another negative thing about consoles is the internal battery, its harder too find and even when you can its more expansive than most of the mobiles battery so its more suitable to use it for its gaming purpose.

But on the other hand PSP go is extremely thin, light and efficient to use for reading.
Advertising
PSP-1000 6.20 16 GB Pro C-2
PSP-go 6.20 32 GB LME 2.3 White
PSP-go 6.60 24 GB Pro C-2 / LME 2.3 Black
PS Vita Slim 8 GB 3.60 Henkaku
PS TV 3.60 Henkaku 1 TB Samsung Story
Thank you RepRep, Total_Noob, Suloku, Omega2058, TheFlow
Smoker1

Post by Smoker1 »

Well if you have the Font set right, Line Spacing and Border Size, the Vita/PSP can handle Books no problem. Shame others dont think it is worth it though. A new more recent, more compatible Reader would be perfect. Shame cant find anything that can read PDFs correctly. Bookr will open it, but if it is more than 1 Page, it runs into problems. If there can be a Reader able to run EPubs, PDFs, Mobi, Txt, it would be perfect
GPD XD1 (64GB) Rooted
GPD Win1
ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 »

Smoker1 wrote:Well if you have the Font set right, Line Spacing and Border Size, the Vita/PSP can handle Books no problem. Shame others dont think it is worth it though. A new more recent, more compatible Reader would be perfect. Shame cant find anything that can read PDFs correctly. Bookr will open it, but if it is more than 1 Page, it runs into problems. If there can be a Reader able to run EPubs, PDFs, Mobi, Txt, it would be perfect
There is only one pdf reader for PSP, strangely Java platforms pdf readers aren't working on PSPkvm. There are more than one epub reader in my link, did you check them ?

Pdfs aren't easy for PSP to handle some include Web links, images and audio. Epubs have images too but much smaller when compared to pdf.

Sony could make an ebook reader for PSP but that would ruin their Sony readers market share. Nintendo ds have ebook reader even online book market afaik.

When Sony announced PSP back in 2004 first thing came to my mind was that device could be a great reader then I saw bookr and decided to buy it.
Smoker1

Post by Smoker1 »

Testing on Vita right now. Hold on. Will Edit This later when all are tried

Edit: Anyview does not work. Just Displays Chinese Letters with no way to do anything
ReadManiac: Guessing only Reads .Txt
Foliant: Settings need to be worked out, but think it showed promise at first. Until Im guessing it corrupted ARK on my Vita. Guessing it corrupted the Save/ARK and just ran out of Memory or something. Have to restart the Vita to get it working again.
Albite Reader: Still does not work as expected
GPD XD1 (64GB) Rooted
GPD Win1
ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 »

Smoker1 wrote:Testing on Vita right now. Hold on. Will Edit This later when all are tried

Edit: Anyview does not work. Just Displays Chinese Letters with no way to do anything
ReadManiac: Guessing only Reads .Txt
Foliant: Settings need to be worked out, but think it showed promise at first. Until Im guessing it corrupted ARK on my Vita. Guessing it corrupted the Save/ARK and just ran out of Memory or something. Have to restart the Vita to get it working again.
Albite Reader: Still does not work as expected
Anyview is the one which I use most frequently but you have to set its language to English one time. I use it for txt files, there are explanations how to set it to English on some Web sites but if you want I can help too. People say it opens epub too but never worked on my devices.

Albite opening epubs smoothly what do you expect ?
Smoker1

Post by Smoker1 »

Well I know it opened maybe 1 on my Vita, but that was a 1 time thing. LOL. Just wish there was something that could handle PDFs . Guessing it has to be less compressed like it was back in '04 since now, they are better handled.
GPD XD1 (64GB) Rooted
GPD Win1

Return to “Tutorials”