Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Streaming Video Content to Vita?

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
DrRetro

Streaming Video Content to Vita?

Post by DrRetro »

Is there a Software out that can Stream any Videos from your PC to the Vita with reencoding for the right "Vita Format"?

I'm a new Vita User, get my Vita Yesterday, I have searched for this the last Days a couldn't find a solution for that.

The best sounding solution that I could find was to use "Universal Media Server" (UMS) on the PC in combination with the Vita Internet Browser, but I can't found a Vita Profil for UMS on the Web and per default I get a typical Error on the Vita, that this Video can not shown on it (wrong format). UMS reencode the Video and Audio stream to one single format, exactly what I searching.

I watched today YouTube Videos on Vita Internet Browser and it would be great if there is a way to use this YouTube Video Vita Feature (you can use the Buttons to play/pause and spool forward/backward and all in Fullscreen) for PC streaming.
Advertising
reprep

Re: Streaming Video Content to Vita?

Post by reprep »

Not possible AFAIK because vita doesn't support any kind of DLNA or other video streaming protocol.

If you have your movies in "right" format (MP4, AAC audio) in your video folder, you can stream them wireless with OpenCMA. That is what i do.

also if you have a cfw PS3, there is showtime media player which plays everything online, offline, you can use it with Vita Remote Play.
Advertising
DrRetro

Post by DrRetro »

Vita can play YouTube Video Streams over the Browser like I said, so it should be possible too use this. At the Moment I don't know how exactly this works (what I read the Browser didn't support Flash or HTML5 Videos), but I will test this by myself soon.

I don't want to recode all my Videos manually before I could watch they on my Vita, that is all but not really very comfortable.
reprep

Post by reprep »

DrRetro wrote:Vita can play YouTube Video Streams over the Browser like I said, so it should be possible too use this. At the Moment I don't know how exactly this works (what I read the Browser didn't support Flash or HTML5 Videos), but I will test this by myself soon.

I don't want to recode all my Videos manually before I could watch they on my Vita, that is all but not really very comfortable.
vita supports HTML5, but it is limited afaik. PLEX supports what you want (web browser via html5) but unfortunately still same vita restrictions for videos apply (MP4, AAC stereo audio)
DrRetro

Post by DrRetro »

Vita supports HTML5, yes, but what I have read it didn't support HTML5 Videos. But I don't know if a Update have change that, could be that I miss that than.

Yes, and this format restrictions are completely ok when the PC reencode every Video to MP4 max. 720p, ACC Stereo Audio before it send the Stream, like Universal Media Player it already does (but no Vita Profil).

The only thing what I have found (and from this Video I know UMS) was this, with no Infos how he do it... really love such Users. ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkI3K8AYmE

But it seems this not the Player that is used on YouTube, no Button Controls and no Fullscreen (bar on the Top is still shown). But it shows that Streaming with recoding works. So the most important stuff is already done.
reprep

Post by reprep »

I see what you mean. But i don't know any PC side server which reencodes video on the fly to Vita compatible video. BTW 1080p is fine, Vita supports it too.

I got you good news though.

Probably we will get network media streaming soon. http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/ ... on-tv-faq/

Copy pasting:

Will PS TV support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The Network Media Player (coming soon to PS TV and PS Vita) can be used to access media servers over a network. The Network Media Player can be used to view photos and stream music and videos from a media server located on your home network. You can also copy photos, music and video files from the media server to your system.
PS3Y2kvirus

Post by PS3Y2kvirus »

You can stream from pc CMA (Content Manager Assistant) to ps vita but it still needs to be compatible format (mp4). if your pc can not handle it there maybe a website for re-encoding or formatting or muxing. but will have to wait for uploading, than formating, than downloading. CMA wireless connection requires a Router.
PS VITA 3.01
PS3 CECHA01
Ball-N-Cup CFW-RETRO
DrRetro

Post by DrRetro »

@PS3Y2kvirus: thanks, I know this, but this is exactly that what I not want. I already try it and the most of my Videos didn't work natively on the Vita. ;)
reprep wrote:I see what you mean. But i don't know any PC side server which reencodes video on the fly to Vita compatible video. BTW 1080p is fine, Vita supports it too.
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/about/

It can reencode Server side and as far I know it supports MP4 and AAC.
Probably we will get network media streaming soon. http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/ ... on-tv-faq/

Copy pasting:

Will PS TV support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The Network Media Player (coming soon to PS TV and PS Vita) can be used to access media servers over a network. The Network Media Player can be used to view photos and stream music and videos from a media server located on your home network. You can also copy photos, music and video files from the media server to your system.
Sounds not bad, when it is real Video and not only File Streaming. But even than it should work better with UMS because of the DLNA and I didn't need the Vita Browser anymore.
Last edited by DrRetro on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kankertje

Post by Kankertje »

Vita video app can stream from internet, guess it was never officially a feature :lol:

Run this like you would run pkg installer

Code: Select all

video:play?url=http://nsx.np.dl.playstation.net/nsx/material/e/ed8e77a88cae522f17c6d0f7df05fef384efccbf-643388.mp4
and see, no idea about supported formats
DrRetro

Post by DrRetro »

Kankertje wrote:Vita video app can stream from internet, guess it was never officially a feature :lol:

Run this like you would run pkg installer

Code: Select all

video:play?url=http://nsx.np.dl.playstation.net/nsx/material/e/ed8e77a88cae522f17c6d0f7df05fef384efccbf-643388.mp4
and see, no idea about supported formats
The Format must be the same like on all Videos on Vita, so interesting if UMS could send this Way his Videos so you could use the Video Player instead the Browser, will try that too, thx. But first I must look how I run the pkg Installer. ;)

Return to “General”