Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Why do PSP games look so rough? (TN-V7)

Total_Noob's PSP Emulator Custom Firmware for the Vita. CEF can be downloaded here.
Gamester42

Why do PSP games look so rough? (TN-V7)

Post by Gamester42 »

Hey guys,

I just got TN-V7 eCFW running on my new Vita, with the help of some of you great folks, and I'm really loving it so far! There really is only one thing that sticks out as problematic to me is and that is the quality of PSP game playback. Does TN-V7 render PSP games at 50% resolution of PSP or something? Why is it so rough looking?

For example, I remember back when I had a PSP and playing Gran Turismo. The game looked very smooth and clean. On the Vita with TN-V7 the game looks very jaggedy with blurry textures and even apparently has "holes" in environment models.

Is this just the early stages of Vita PSP emulation or something? I really do greatly appreciate the ability to run PSP ISOs on Vita, but I was expecting the games to look a lot better than they do.

Can someone fill me in on why it looks so rough and if it will get any better in the future?

Thanks
Advertising
mlc

Re: Why do PSP games look so rough? (TN-V7)

Post by mlc »

The PSP is 480 x 272, the Vita is 960 x 544. You're just seeing the flaws better due to the larger screen, probably, as the Vita should be able to render PSP games just as a PSP would with that size screen. Also, you're probably remembering it differently than it actually was. Beyond that, I think the PSP Go graphics always looked fantastic, but that's because my eyes aren't so excellent as to be able to easily see flaws on a Go screen that I can see on a PSP screen; the Vita does the opposite, making the flaws more apparent.

EDIT: But to be clear, the PSP emulation on the Vita is as good as it is likely to get. It seems highly unlikely due to a probable lack of resources, but theoretically we might see some higher quality screen filters or (much less likely) higher resolution rendering once the Vita kernel is hacked. That's the only way that the image quality may one day get better.
Advertising
Gamester42

Post by Gamester42 »

Ah, ok. I didn't realize that the PSP resolution was that low. Yea, I hope when/if we get a native CFW for Vita that they can at least upscale the PSP games or apply filters of some sort. I'll just keep an eye on the community and hope for the best ;)

Thanks a bunch for the info!
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

The most you can do is activate bilinear filtering in the options. There is no way to increase the resolution even with a hack because of how the emulator works. The only thing that can be done is that the images can be filtered to make them look better.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
LennyVita

Post by LennyVita »

as other posters stated there is a difference in the vita screen size and psp size, have you tried to enable bilineair filtering in the settings of the game. it does make abit of difference, some games it may look worse. depending on what looks better to your eyes. touch the vita screen for a few seconds in the game to get the menu.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

mlc wrote:You're just seeing the flaws better due to the larger screen, probably, as the Vita should be able to render PSP games just as a PSP would with that size screen. Also, you're probably remembering it differently than it actually was.
This.
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Gamester42

Post by Gamester42 »

thanks guys, the bilineair filtering helped a bit ;)
reprep

Post by reprep »

i remember playing Tekken 3 on psx and saying "wow, graphics can't get better than this.". Just play it on ps3 now.

i compared psp games on vita side by side by psp go. psp go is much more clear because of lower res and lower screen size. PS vita isn't as sharp but the larger OLED screen makes up for it. Plus second analog joystick is a welcome addition. remember to enable bilinear filtering and disable color space. These will help a lot.
MadZiontist

Post by MadZiontist »

I believe I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think PSP games look way better on the Vita screen and with bilinear filtering OFF.
PSP Star Wars 2001 TA-085v1 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3
PSV 1001 3G 64GB 3.60 HENkaku Enso
PSTV 64GB
The Z
VIP

Post by The Z »

reprep wrote:i remember playing Tekken 3 on psx and saying "wow, graphics can't get better than this.". Just play it on ps3 now.

i compared psp games on vita side by side by psp go. psp go is much more clear because of lower res and lower screen size. PS vita isn't as sharp but the larger OLED screen makes up for it. Plus second analog joystick is a welcome addition. remember to enable bilinear filtering and disable color space. These will help a lot.
It has the same resolution as every other PSP, but if you were comparing it with the Vita, then I did not say a word :)
White PSV TV - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
White PSV 1000 - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
2x PSV 2000 - 32/64GB - 3.65 CFW
PSP Fat 1000 - TA-081 - 6.61 ME-2.3
PSP Slim 2000 - TA-085¹ - 6.61 ME-2.3
4x PSPgo & 1x PSP 3kº⁴ᶢ - 6.61 LME-2.3∞

Return to “TN CEF”