Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Small Update on Vita Kernel Exploit from Yifan_Lu

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
AntonRamirez

Re: Small Update on Vita Kernel Exploit from Yifan_Lu

Post by AntonRamirez »

I'm looking forward to PS Vita development I just can't get how the Tutorials It's too complicated.
Advertising
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

wololo wrote:I've called out the need for hardware hackers on the vita more than a year ago: http://wololo.net/2012/04/09/where-are- ... ita-hacks/
I do not know/understand why we are not seeing the same activity on the hardware side that can be seen on other devices. Is it because the Vita is way harder to look into? Is it because hardware hackers have no interest (not enough Vita owners) ? Or are worried of legal action from Sony?
From what I've been hearing, the problem is that the "good" hackers aren't interested in the vita.

Also, regarding people commenting about donations and such: I don't believe in "donations" before a completed work. They almost never work out for both parties, and it's a pretty cop out move. It's essentially throwing money at the problem. I've always said that if people wish to "contribute" they should contribute broken consoles and unused games and such. Nothing good comes from throwing money away.
Advertising
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

yifanlu wrote:
wololo wrote:-snip-
From what I've been hearing, the problem is that the "good" hackers aren't interested in the vita.
I thought so,other than your work and what SKFU was doing,there wasn't anything else publicly known.

I think I know you are against things like flashcards and the like (I think I read so on gbatemp or I could simply be mistaken,pardon me if I am),but would it be possible to get something like that in order to get a bit more freedom with the Vita?
What do I have:
[spoiler]Nothing to lose.[/spoiler]
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

flashcards are in general just dummy hardware that's here to sell you something that would otherwise be free (either a "technique" for people to do it on their own, or a software hack). Think about pandora batteries (which were "sold" on the chinese market before the prometheus guys made the - insanely easy - method public), or the many usb dongles on the PS3, which are just adding DRMs to techniques that would otherwise be easily reversed...

So, today, flashcarts and similar devices are just here to guarantee money revenue for the hackers who created them, they do not add any other value (just like DRMs in movies), which is what I personally see as a problem (not that I want to deny the right for hackers to make money, but doing so with piracy-enabling devices just feels super wrong to me)
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
JJMLGY

Post by JJMLGY »

I'm thinking to few with a Vita out there. Maybe some are interested but they see no reason to buy one. (dang you Sony make more games)
ViRGE

Post by ViRGE »

wololo wrote:flashcards are in general just dummy hardware that's here to sell you something that would otherwise be free (either a "technique" for people to do it on their own, or a software hack). Think about pandora batteries (which were "sold" on the chinese market before the prometheus guys made the - insanely easy - method public), or the many usb dongles on the PS3, which are just adding DRMs to techniques that would otherwise be easily reversed...

So, today, flashcarts and similar devices are just here to guarantee money revenue for the hackers who created them, they do not add any other value (just like DRMs in movies), which is what I personally see as a problem (not that I want to deny the right for hackers to make money, but doing so with piracy-enabling devices just feels super wrong to me)
Well let's be clear here, there's a very big distinction between reDRM dongles and hardware devices that are necessary to implement a hack. I don't think anyone would call DS flashcarts a ripoff; they provided the necessary hardware to properly emulate a DS flashcart.
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

PCMGR wrote:
yifanlu wrote:
wololo wrote:-snip-
I thought so,other than your work and what SKFU was doing,there wasn't anything else publicly known.

I think I know you are against things like flashcards and the like (I think I read so on gbatemp or I could simply be mistaken,pardon me if I am),but would it be possible to get something like that in order to get a bit more freedom with the Vita?
Tbh, I don't even think Chinese piracy companies have interest in the vita. The market share is too small for even them to make a profit (ironic).
DarkenLX

Post by DarkenLX »

yifanlu wrote:
DarkenLX wrote:I am extremely curious to find out why exactly it is impossible to dump the RAM with hardware.It's because the Vita's RAM is located on the primary SoC itself, in a stacked "system in package" configuration. The 512MB system RAM is at the top of the stack, wire-bonded to the substrate, while the 128MB VRAM is soldered directly to the CPU using BGA ***.

http://chipworksrealchips.blogspot.com/ ... ip-3d.html

This makes it practically impossible to attach any tools to the RAM to dump it. Even if you could open the package and tap the wire bonds for the system RAM, you'd still need to tap the VRAM too, and that's simply not going to happen since it's directly attached to the CPU.
true attaching tools is a no go in the sense of the way e3 works on ps3 or whatnot but soldering wires to the needed points of the cpu then attaching tools to said wires should allow the tools to be connected we have done serial connections via jtag on psp we would just be attaching stuff to the cpu via wires same idea ..
Where did you hear this? Afaik, no usable interface is exposed by the SoC, especially not the ram.
you misunderstood that i was speculating / theorizing if there were the needed contacts (didnt know if there were) to do this. i never said that it was do-able im just stating that we would need to hack the cpu to do this task.
PsVita 1: OLED Model 3G [3.36] [PSN?: Y]
PsVita 2: OLED Model 3G [mOFW3.00/eCFW] [PSN? :N]
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

wololo wrote:flashcards are in general just dummy hardware that's here to sell you something that would otherwise be free (either a "technique" for people to do it on their own, or a software hack). Think about pandora batteries (which were "sold" on the chinese market before the prometheus guys made the - insanely easy - method public), or the many usb dongles on the PS3, which are just adding DRMs to techniques that would otherwise be easily reversed...

That I know,but they may well lead to softmods.
A softmod for the 3DS for example is bound to happen (as it is based on a kernel exploit).
What do I have:
[spoiler]Nothing to lose.[/spoiler]
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

DarkenLX wrote:
yifanlu wrote:
DarkenLX wrote:I am extremely curious to find out why exactly it is impossible to dump the RAM with hardware.It's because the Vita's RAM is located on the primary SoC itself, in a stacked "system in package" configuration. The 512MB system RAM is at the top of the stack, wire-bonded to the substrate, while the 128MB VRAM is soldered directly to the CPU using BGA ***.

http://chipworksrealchips.blogspot.com/ ... ip-3d.html

This makes it practically impossible to attach any tools to the RAM to dump it. Even if you could open the package and tap the wire bonds for the system RAM, you'd still need to tap the VRAM too, and that's simply not going to happen since it's directly attached to the CPU.
true attaching tools is a no go in the sense of the way e3 works on ps3 or whatnot but soldering wires to the needed points of the cpu then attaching tools to said wires should allow the tools to be connected we have done serial connections via jtag on psp we would just be attaching stuff to the cpu via wires same idea ..
Where did you hear this? Afaik, no usable interface is exposed by the SoC, especially not the ram.
you misunderstood that i was speculating / theorizing if there were the needed contacts (didnt know if there were) to do this. i never said that it was do-able im just stating that we would need to hack the cpu to do this task.
So your statement was "to hack the CPU, we need to hack the CPU"?

Return to “Programming and Security”