Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS3 no longer obtains IP address from PC...

Everything that is PS3-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Zero_Cool

PS3 no longer obtains IP address from PC...

Post by Zero_Cool »

Any network knowledge on this forum? I'm been running my PS3's internet connection through my PC via my iPhone. Basically my phone (using MyWi) is tethered to my PC, which is connected to my PS3 via an ethernet cable. This has been working great actually, and I've even been playing online for weeks with no issues or lag. But all of a sudden my PS3 can't connect to the internet via the PC anymore. My computer gets internet from my phone just fine, but it's not getting to my PS3 anymore.

I've checked my settings in my Network and Sharing Center (windows 7) and everything looks good, the connection is being shared and all that. I've tried restarting my computer/phone/PS3 several times with no luck. What could it be? It just keeps timing out when searching for an IP address.

Any help would be appreciated.
Advertising
hammer_420

Re: PS3 no longer obtains IP address from PC...

Post by hammer_420 »

while you might not notice the lag, I'm sure everyone you play against is screaming about the guy skipping all over the place. This is a horrible set up and I'm sure its just your ps3 saying no I will not ruin gaming for others.
Advertising
Zero_Cool

Post by Zero_Cool »

I would normally agree, I've been asking a lot of people that I play with about my online performance and nobody has noticed me "skipping all over the place". So far the performance is fine, contrary to popular belief. But then again I'm not exactly playing COD here. Mostly I just get online to download demos or access DLC.

Any helpful advice to solving this connectivity issue would be appreciated
hammer_420

Post by hammer_420 »

you would probably be better of just using the ps3's wifi connected straight to your phone's mifi.
the less routes the better ,if you go to the ps3's internet settings and test your connection there is something called NAT type. For example NAT type 1 is the best it means you are connect straight to your modem with no router in the way, NAT 2 means you have 1 router in the way not as good as NAT 1 but your still good to go, NAT type 3 is the worst rating you can get and will come with a warning about some online functions not working, it means you have 2 or more routers in the way some games will have more trouble then others (the psvita won't even allow you to game online with a NAT type 3).
connecting the ps3 to a phone wifi hotspot will get you a minimum of NAT 3 and putting your computer in the way will only make it worse.

cell connections can get good download and upload speeds but they generally get poor ping times and bad line jitter add the fact that you have to pass through too many routers and you can see why its a poor choice for gaming.
Zero_Cool

Post by Zero_Cool »

Interesting that you say that. Since this has stopped working I've only been able to get my PS3 online via wireless. Most people will say that the PS3 and iPhone's MyWi are incompatible due to the phone being AD-HOC, which is partially true. You can get online for a short time, but it will eventually drop the signal shortly after. However I only got a NAT 3 connection type when connected wirelessly, not when I was wired through my computer.

I should also point out that when I was running a wired connection my PSN downloads were horribly slow, but gameplay was fine :? This was even confirmed by other players. Bizarre...
hammer_420

Post by hammer_420 »

you could have gotten lucky when you were testing (full bars, no network traffic, close to servers, ect.). But even if the connection test was reporting a lower NAT type than 3, it would wrong, as you still need to pass trough the phone companies router ,then your phone acting as a router, through your PC acting as a bridge. 2 routers and a bridge is worse than just the 2 routers if you cut out the PC.

Return to “General”