Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Specs for a good gaming PC?

Everything related to computers that doesn't go in other categories
NNNRT

Re: Specs for a good gaming PC?

Post by NNNRT »

fate6 wrote:well if I try to run Win7 my computer tries to kill itself but with Win8 it works even better than XP ;)
(a lot smoother/faster)
oh and Aero works on Win8 but not on Vista/7
That's because you're using Consumer Preview, which had no checkups for requirements. Try Pro or Enterprise & you'll see for yourself. ;)
Advertising
Elyseux

Post by Elyseux »

jc_gargma wrote:What resource is it better in? Its uses the same RAM to run as Win7, and uses more space on disk.

And from the sounds of that older games bug, its a total flop for anything but the newest titles. At least on Win7 its possible to fix the older-game-related gameux.dll bug yourself.
Elyseux wrote:
NNNRT wrote:Windows 8 makes games made before 2006 appear in 4:3 on a 16:9 screen, Microsoft released fixes for that but none worked.
BTW OP is dead now. :lol:
That wasn't my point. Even if it does do that, it still produces higher FPS then 7 in the same settings and environment.
Running in a lower resolution tends to do that.
I meant if they were running on the same resolutions. And apparently, it uses less resources( or just optimizes better), because when I was running Windows 7 on my laptop, it had a lower benchmark score and lower FPS range than when I upgraded to 8, although the differences were small
Advertising
XxGodOfWar2xX

Post by XxGodOfWar2xX »

NNNRT wrote:
OP, it'll really help if you can give us a price range, country where you are at, and anything you need( like a keyboard, mouse, etc.)
Windows 8 makes games made before 2006 appear in 4:3 on a 16:9 screen, Microsoft released fixes for that but none worked.
Correction. I have a 2007 latitude d630, that is running Windows Vista Ultimate/Windows 8 Pro (Media Center Extension pack) And I'm able to run games before 2006 in full screen. It all depends on your video card, and if you have the correct settings applied.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

XxGodOfWar2xX wrote:Correction. I have a 2007 latitude d630, that is running Windows Vista Ultimate/Windows 8 Pro (Media Center Extension pack) And I'm able to run games before 2006 in full screen. It all depends on your video card, and if you have the correct settings applied.
Maybe because of that pack? My laptop is a 2011 Lenovo G560, maybe that's the problem. :? But hundreds are suffering from this on the whole web.
sss0

Post by sss0 »

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

(feel free to lock the thread now, nothing else will surpass this)
XxGodOfWar2xX

Post by XxGodOfWar2xX »

NNNRT wrote:
XxGodOfWar2xX wrote:Correction. I have a 2007 latitude d630, that is running Windows Vista Ultimate/Windows 8 Pro (Media Center Extension pack) And I'm able to run games before 2006 in full screen. It all depends on your video card, and if you have the correct settings applied.
Maybe because of that pack? My laptop is a 2011 Lenovo G560, maybe that's the problem. :? But hundreds are suffering from this on the whole web.
Most video cards have a built in option to get this 4:3 to stretch to 16:9 (16:10 in my case...But not for long :D ) I'll upload a screenie of my option later.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

XxGodOfWar2xX wrote:Most video cards have a built in option to get this 4:3 to stretch to 16:9 (16:10 in my case...But not for long :D ) I'll upload a screenie of my option later.
I changed this option too (I also have 16:10) depending on the support forums, but no luck. Worked like a charm on the same PC when it had Windows 7 Ultimate.
XxGodOfWar2xX

Post by XxGodOfWar2xX »

This is the option. (On my current PC) Look at the attachment.
Attachments
Snap02.JPG
Snap02.JPG (19.2 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

Ah, I wasn't sure how much Windows restricted it. GPU upscaling ftw. (Personally I prefer aspect ratio, to avoid picture distortion.)
I was under the impression it was mis-rendering the game in a compatibly size, like forcing 800x600 or something.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

Sometimes if I install a new game, it loads in 4:3 then I have to change the resolution in its settings, Modern Warfare 3 for example.

Return to “General”