Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Halp! New PC, Bootmgr is missing.

Everything related to computers that doesn't go in other categories
bwaka bwaka

Halp! New PC, Bootmgr is missing.

Post by bwaka bwaka »

Well, I just purchased all new pc components and after putting everything together I have a problem.

Everything was fine untill I attempted to install windows, during the installation process I accidently unplugged my pc. Now when I turn it on it tells me "Bootmgr is missing", so I formatted my SDD in my brother's pc(to wipe the half installed os). Now when I boot the pc it says press any button to boot from cd/dvd drive, then quickly gives me the bootmgr is missing. So i can quickly press a button to start the installation, but after it extracts the files and the pc attempts to start windows I can see the starting windows but no logo ever shows up and the pc stays there.

I'm really stumped so if anyone has any advice i would appricate it immensely.
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Halp! New PC, Bootmgr is missing.

Post by fate6 »

use live USB of Gparted to fully format the drive?
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Boot off the install DVD using the BIOS, then do a fresh install. Use the drive partitioning stage to repartition and reformat your drive. The entire part where you took out the SSD to format it was pointless. Also, did you merge the 100MB or something partition into the bigger one?
fate6 wrote:use live USB of Gparted to fully format the drive?
Why? There's no secondary OS there, or any other data that is to be saved.
bwaka bwaka

Post by bwaka bwaka »

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been attempting to boot from DVD with no luck. As soon as it asks me to press any key to boot from DVD the BOOTMGR is missing message appears.I have looked in the bios also with no luck. So if I start the PC without any DVD inserted, I will still get the message but it only appeared once the first windows install went wrong. I'm never able to install windows, it gets passed Windows is loading files(sorry got it confused with extracting) but then if will restart.

Also my problem seems similar to this persons's(http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/43557 ... ws-install) but how to you run DBAN without using the DVD drive?

I've taken a picture maybe it will help?
Attachments
HNI_0003.JPG
HNI_0003.JPG (35.1 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Last edited by bwaka bwaka on Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nurb

Post by Nurb »

You can run the free version of Active@ Killdisk to wipe the drive if that is what you want to accomplish. You can use this tool to create a bootable USB http://software.lsoft.net/killdiskfloppysetup.exe
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

bwaka bwaka wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, I've been attempting to boot from DVD with no luck.
How do you manage that?
Go to BIOS, set DVD drive as highest boot priority, save changes, restart if it doesn't. As long as your DVD is in the drive and not scratched or something, it will load. Consult your motherboard handbook if you need explanations as to where the boot priority options are.
bwaka bwaka

Post by bwaka bwaka »

I have set DVD to priority 1 and I still have difficulties, but i think i messed up because everything was fine(no bootmgr message) up to the point when my PC shut off during the windows installation.

Do the boot priorities look correct?
Attachments
HNI_0004.JPG
HNI_0004.JPG (70.58 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

I believe it is supposed to restart and load the OS from the hard drive at one point. It gives a message before it does. Just load from the SDD now.
bwaka bwaka

Post by bwaka bwaka »

The hard disk the bios is referring to is the SDD. I cannot even install windows, so I don''t understand why it's giving me the bootmgr message. But even if I press a key fast enough(the bootmgr message hasn't appeared yet) to start the installation it will restart the PC(after the very first step the windows installation does, loading files), so I am unable to install windows.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

bwaka bwaka wrote:The hard disk the bios is referring to is the SDD. I cannot even install windows, so I don''t understand why it's giving me the bootmgr message. But even if I press a key fast enough(the bootmgr message hasn't appeared yet) to start the installation it will restart the PC(after the very first step the windows installation does, loading files), so I am unable to install windows.
Try installing linux first, if that doesn't work, it is definitely a hardware problem because apparently you can only get that error if you were using windows.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerr ... issing.htm

It also means that you need to check your win7 disk, I would recommend using a USB Flash Drive instead with something like Unetbootin, doing so is much better than writing a new DVD each time.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"

Return to “General”