Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

GBA emulator on VHBL(how i did it)

VHBL (Vita Half Byte Loader) is an open source tool to load PSP homebrews on the Playstation Vita.
VHBL can be downloaded at http://wololo.net/vhbl
QuoteSantos

GBA emulator on VHBL(how i did it)

Post by QuoteSantos »

hello everyone, sorry if this is already around the forum and such, but ive seen a few people comment on the fact they cant see their roms, or they ''need bios'' even tough they put it in the gPSP folder...SO:

First:Download gpsp from zload.net here is where i went to get it, but feel free to go somewhere else.

Second:Get the gba bios, RENAME them to ''gba_bios'' and leave the extension (if you see: gba_bios.bin) alone.

IMPORTANT but simple: Root Folder.after unzipping, unrar-ing your download, you should get a folder named ''UCJS101040001''

Inside, there is another folder named gpsp with an EBOOT.PBP and a few other files:
THAT IS WHERE YOU PUT THE gba_bios.bin (or gba_bios) inside the gpsp, NOT where there is ICON0(PNG), PARAM(SFO) OR DATA(BIN)

Third: Pick and download a game of your choice. I recomend Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga(.gba), but thats my preference ;)
After wich, you will put your xxxxxx.gba (again, if you see an extension, leave it alone) in, and read this Carefuly
Example: UCJS101040001-->gpSP-->GBA-->ROM-->Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga(.gba)

Fourth: After doing all that, you can use winrar or 7zip file manager(my choice) to zip the GPSP folder with the bios and your roms

IMPORTANT but obvious: if you have a BIG rom collection on your Computer, you can put ALL of it in the ROM folder.

ETREMELY IMPORTANT THOUGH I DONT KNOW WHY, I DO IT NONETHELESS:
if you want to do it right and actually play GBA on your VHBL(like Me) you SHOULD ALWAYS open up your rar/zip extractor/compressor:
in 7zip, browse to your UCJS.... folder and rightclick on GPSP, then choose 7zip and then click ''add to archive''

RENAME THE gpSP.zip TO INSTALL.ZIP AND CHOOSE. STORE .AS.COMPRESION.METHOD...ok?

in the end, put your INSTALL.ZIP in your UCJS101040001 folder along with data.bin and param.sfo, etc...
copy the UCJS101040001folder to your ps vita directory in your computer (usually in My Documents\PS Vita) and in your PSAVEDATA\544gerqr4eerhe4(<--example of an acount number under psavedata)\put UCJS101040001 here.

then on your Vita copy the MOTORSTORM: RAGNG ICE with the gameboy advance icon to your vita
Then open your vhbl and install gpsp through savedata, by choosing UCJS101040001. it should ask you to install the homebrew. say yes and it will install to ms0\psp\game\
Go to psp\game and gpsp should be there, so open it choose your rom and play( maybe change the configuration for your specific needs though)

i believe ive covered everything that i did to get this working.

Thanks to The Z, for actually uploading this emulator and wololo.net crew for releasing the exploit
also I apologize for excessive caps lock and posssible grammar mistakes, i am portuguese after all :lol:
later
Advertising
btwo5

Re: GBA emulator on VHBL(how i did it)

Post by btwo5 »

I placed my gba bios were the eboot is, I used two different bios. Bith times gpsphone said I need the bios, do I need to unzip the install.zip. Place bios then zip in back up ?
Advertising
Edzo04

Post by Edzo04 »

Does gpsp save for you? On every game it says save file is corrupt and I can't save anything.
DMTea

Post by DMTea »

btwo5 wrote:I placed my gba bios were the eboot is, I used two different bios. Bith times gpsphone said I need the bios, do I need to unzip the install.zip. Place bios then zip in back up ?

Yes, and when zipping the Folder, make sure the Compression is set to STORE and not NORMAL. Normal compression will not work.

The INSTALL.ZIP is VHBL's way of recognizing homebrew. When you want to add files to homebrew you do so by extracting the INSTALL.ZIP, placing the files, and then repackaging them up again so VHBL can read/install it.
Guize I can haz kernal cuz i got purtty cmd window to say stuffs.
ratifythis

Post by ratifythis »

Hi, I followed your instructions, but the prompt to install the homebrew didn't come up for some reason.
I mean, I found a gba bios online, compressed using 7-zip at store mode, and used the motor cross save data like you said, but when i go into the UCJ folder (when I'm in the vhbl), there's no prompt to install homebrew.
Whats happening?
Edzo04

Post by Edzo04 »

ratifythis wrote:Hi, I followed your instructions, but the prompt to install the homebrew didn't come up for some reason.
I mean, I found a gba bios online, compressed using 7-zip at store mode, and used the motor cross save data like you said, but when i go into the UCJ folder (when I'm in the vhbl), there's no prompt to install homebrew.
Whats happening?
I had the same problem. Make sure when you name the install file that you capitalize the extension as well. INSTALL.ZIP as opposed to INSTALL.zip. Each time I rezipped the file I kept forgetting to do that.
Terricule

Post by Terricule »

Only problem i've run across with the emulator so far is with zelda: minish cap, where you are unable to start because saves are corrupted.
compccs

Post by compccs »

i can get the emulator to run but the sound isnt right ... its like its only using 1 channel... i get the sfx but not the music....
DMTea

Post by DMTea »

compccs wrote:i can get the emulator to run but the sound isnt right ... its like its only using 1 channel... i get the sfx but not the music....

The Apache Exploit doesn't give much RAM I guess, I noticed other emu's having problems so I set the render as Software and it seemed to fix most issues with Sega Gensis Games.

I thought I had the Minish Cap Zelda rom but I didn't load that one up in gpSP, I tried GTA Advanced and it locked up after passing a cut scene lol. Tony hawks proskater 2 worked however.

I realized why gpSP is the best Emulator- it runs the Sega games I would've had in PicoDrive, the few mario games I play on NES/SNES lol right there it lets me save 3 homebrew spaces xD.
Guize I can haz kernal cuz i got purtty cmd window to say stuffs.
ratifythis

Post by ratifythis »

Thanks for the reply. And yeah, I got the emulator to install, but my problem now is how to get it to play the game. I've pressed the triangle button, which brought up some options, one of which was "load new cartridge" which i tried. However, all that appears is gba_bios.bin and wmenu bin. Please help again!

Return to “Vita Half Byte Loader”