Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Dust 514

Discuss official PS3 games here
MVP

Dust 514

Post by MVP »

i think this is gonna evolve into one of the greatest shooters ever. if you havent played yet come give it a try, its only beta but its free to play and has tons more stuff coming. you can download it in the ps store.
Advertising
Tonakai

Re: Dust 514

Post by Tonakai »

I actually wrote an article on it recently (when it hit open beta) - I agree that everyone should at least give it a go. I've been playing since the closed beta, and it was amazing then, but now that it's linked with eve and you can call in Orbital Bombardment's; it's just so much more fun.
Advertising
Minimur12

Post by Minimur12 »

with DUST 514 being on 1 server(from what i understand, tell me if im wrong) would it be posibble for cross play PC-PS3???
I'm not on the forum much, if you want to let me know about something, shoot me a PM!
ImageImage
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

Minimur12 wrote:with DUST 514 being on 1 server(from what i understand, tell me if im wrong) would it be posibble for cross play PC-PS3???
You are correct. It's on a single server that is shared with Eve Online. You can cross-pay (to some extent) with players of Eve.
Dust 514/Eve Interaction Interview
By Robert Purchese Published Friday, 22 June 2012

Dust 514, the free PS3 online shooter, will share the same universe (server cluster) as spaceship MMO Eve Online. And the two games will interact. That's been the big selling point of Dust 514 since it was announced.

But we've never really been told specifics by developer CCP. We've never been told how the two games will specifically interact when Dust launches, and how that will evolve - according to a schedule - post-launch.

So we asked.

To begin with, the Dust 514 and Eve Online connection will be an extension of the recent Inferno expansion for Eve Online. This overhauled factional warfare allowed Eve players to embark on faction-given missions take territory within solar systems, upgrade it and earn benefits.

Not to be confused with River Division 514, clearly.
"That's the foundation for the first part of the gameplay interaction with Dust," Eve Online senior producer Jon Lander told Eurogamer. "When Dust goes live on Tranquility, the main live server for Eve, as well as Eve spaceship missions spawning whenever you want to take one of the missions, it will also create mercenary contracts on the temperate planets within those solar systems.

"As Dust mercenaries join your faction, as they win battles, they will contribute to taking over the control of the solar system. And they'll be able to partake in the benefits you get as you develop those systems and keep them and defend them from the enemy.

"That's the very first, almost light touch that we're doing from a gameplay perspective."

It sounds like that will include the much talked about orbital bombardments, too - Eve players firing down to the surface of a planet. As Lander put it: "Air support for Dust mercenaries and factions on the ground."

And the planets will be able to shoot back. "We're going to put it so that if you take control of certain installations on planets, they can fire back up, so you start getting this joint, real-time gameplay between the two," he said.

"To be honest, we've got about a four-and-a-half-year roadmap right now for things we want to do in Eve and Dust as we go down the line."
Jon Lander, senior producer, Eve Online

1/10 Dust 514 screenshots from E3 2012.
PreviousNextView all
Eve and Dust players will share chat channels, the global market and the map/universe. Lander also mentioned being "all in the same boat" in Corporations - Eve Online's guilds.

"We're going to start on that, and it's deliberately fairly light touch," he said. "And what we do then is, we can have a look at - we have a lot of dials we can tweak to balance it, because no one's done this before, we don't know how it will exactly turn out.

"Then what we're doing is we're building out through our roadmap through the end of this year into the next, and our intention is then that we broaden that out so that Dust has a bigger role in 0.0 [nulsec] warfare - the real Wild West where the laws don't apply.

"We'll broaden that out and make the interaction much greater. We'll look at how do you share resources between the games, how do you actually build things like space elevators, how do you build infrastructures?"

A what - a space elevator?

In Eve Online, Lander explained, you can have colonies on planets that farm resources and fire them up to a customs office on an Orbital Control Centre via a rocket and launch pad. Obviously.

"In Dust," Lander went on, "you'll be able to create an SCC - a Surface Control Centre. And there'll be one of those per planet. If you take all the districts in death matches, you take over control of the planet and get the SCC.

"If you and somebody in Eve are allied - so, in Eve you've got control of the Orbital Control Centre - then you get a space elevator, which makes the transport of goods and services that much easier and cheaper."

When that kind of interaction is possible, Lander hopes competing Eve Online corporations will begin hiring Dust mercenaries to shake things up.

Lander's "not sure exactly" when space elevators will arrive. "But certainly we're [Dust 514 is] going to be going live on Tranquility as we go through the second-half of the year," he said. "And then we've got a number of - to be honest, we've got about a four-and-a-half-year roadmap right now for things we want to do in Eve and Dust as we go down the line."

Before Dust 514 effectively goes live by joining Eve Online's Tranquility server, it needs to first move from the Dust 514 production server - where it's been running a closed beta since December - across to the Eve Online public test server.

The Dust 514 open beta, which starts 29th June, will begin on this production server.

"We've got a number of releases as we go through the summer, which actually move us across our servers," Lander detailed. "Right now, Dust is working on its own production server. As we go through the summer, we're going to move that on to Eve public test server, so that will be when two games first sort of link up."

But it won't be "real". That's what happens when Dust 514 transfers to the Eve Online Tranquillity server. "It's at that point that everything's real, everything's persistent. No wipes," said Lander.

"Dust is joining a nine-year-old game. And it's not just a nine-year-old game, it's a nine-year-old world, where there's a lot of stories, a lot of effort, a lot of time that's going into it from the players. And we haven't wiped the servers, we haven't done a reset, so Dust will start contributing its own stories into that world."
MVP

Post by MVP »

the cross play is only in its beginning stages. eventually eve players will be able to offer air support to dust mercs on the ground and vice-versa. its going to be epic.
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

MVP wrote:also i just read that next build will introduce planetary conquest... time to dominate the universe!
I swear to god that I didn't just make very high pitched and girly noises. :shock:
MVP

Post by MVP »

Tonakai wrote:
MVP wrote:also i just read that next build will introduce planetary conquest... time to dominate the universe!
I swear to god that I didn't just make very high pitched and girly noises. :shock:
thats what that was, i thought someone was killing a hyena.

new game mode being added tomorrow!

Ambush (OMS): Two teams of mercenaries will fight to the death, each team attempting to deplete the available clone reserves of the other team within the allotted mission time. As the battle progresses, off-map support in the form of turrets and other assets will be dropped from orbit onto the battlefield to assist whichever side is able to claim them. If the mission timer expires before a team is eliminated, the team with the most available clones will be deemed victorious.

they are also removing some maps.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx ... ind=unread
tigahawk

Post by tigahawk »

MVP wrote:the cross play is only in its beginning stages. eventually eve players will be able to offer air support to dust mercs on the ground and vice-versa. its going to be epic.

CCP also overhyped the **** out of walking in stations, to the extent people thought they'd be able to dock at a station, go to a bar and grab drinks, even put player corpses in trophy cases and dress them up in costumes. Then they actually released it however........ extrordinary letdown. CCP was quick to turn around and say "we're still working on it!!!" and a year later... well.... it's still an epic dissapointment.

I've played it, i am happy with keyboard and mouse support, i am not happy with the skilltree and how they are so heavily pushing you to spend $$ for gear and how they treat each "Drop suit" as an eve spaceship. If you do the math, 50 suits fully fitted is expensive. You'll go through that in 3hours play easy. the balance between newbies and long time players is huge. You wont understand untill you come across a dude with a laser rifle and fully upgraded shields/armor that can easily take down 3 people head on repeatidly untill you specifically gang up on the guy, and if it's an even game you cant afford to focus on one guy all the time as the rest of their team will **** you instead... so you're screwd unless you commit the time to get as many skillpoints as they have or like losing over and over whenever there's a huge skillpoint variation between the teams.

If they can follow through and introduce the planetary conquest it will be amazingly popular. Good coordinated teams can impact eve significantly...say faction A hires an elite group of Dust players to assault faction B's space, specifically some 0.0 corp renter space and take all the planets in a particular constellation. The renters will QQ to their hosts as they're paying $$ to live in the space and they can no longer do PI (one of the bonus's of 0.0, planets yeild great returns and there's money do be made manufacturing pos fuel and other items) and threaten to leave if the hosts do not do something about it. If the hosts are busy fighting a war elsewhere and tell them to get stuffed, the renters may up and leave, that takes a buffer away from the host's space making it easier for other eve players to invade , etc etc. That and it allows people playing FPS currently to actually fell like they make an impact and are important rather than just being top scorer of all the games they play.

As an aussie tho 300+ latency is a game killer, combined with graphical lag and the skillpoint inbalances.... i wont be playing :D Which is sad because i've been waiting for a FPS that isnt a *** clone of COD/BF and Dust genuinely feels different/more fun.
PS Vita 3.01 - PS4 - 1.61 - PS3 - 4.55
MVP

Post by MVP »

tigahawk wrote:
MVP wrote:the cross play is only in its beginning stages. eventually eve players will be able to offer air support to dust mercs on the ground and vice-versa. its going to be epic.

CCP also overhyped the **** out of walking in stations, to the extent people thought they'd be able to dock at a station, go to a bar and grab drinks, even put player corpses in trophy cases and dress them up in costumes. Then they actually released it however........ extrordinary letdown. CCP was quick to turn around and say "we're still working on it!!!" and a year later... well.... it's still an epic dissapointment.

I've played it, i am happy with keyboard and mouse support, i am not happy with the skilltree and how they are so heavily pushing you to spend $$ for gear and how they treat each "Drop suit" as an eve spaceship. If you do the math, 50 suits fully fitted is expensive. You'll go through that in 3hours play easy. the balance between newbies and long time players is huge. You wont understand untill you come across a dude with a laser rifle and fully upgraded shields/armor that can easily take down 3 people head on repeatidly untill you specifically gang up on the guy, and if it's an even game you cant afford to focus on one guy all the time as the rest of their team will **** you instead... so you're screwd unless you commit the time to get as many skillpoints as they have or like losing over and over whenever there's a huge skillpoint variation between the teams.

If they can follow through and introduce the planetary conquest it will be amazingly popular. Good coordinated teams can impact eve significantly...say faction A hires an elite group of Dust players to assault faction B's space, specifically some 0.0 corp renter space and take all the planets in a particular constellation. The renters will QQ to their hosts as they're paying $$ to live in the space and they can no longer do PI (one of the bonus's of 0.0, planets yeild great returns and there's money do be made manufacturing pos fuel and other items) and threaten to leave if the hosts do not do something about it. If the hosts are busy fighting a war elsewhere and tell them to get stuffed, the renters may up and leave, that takes a buffer away from the host's space making it easier for other eve players to invade , etc etc. That and it allows people playing FPS currently to actually fell like they make an impact and are important rather than just being top scorer of all the games they play.

As an aussie tho 300+ latency is a game killer, combined with graphical lag and the skillpoint inbalances.... i wont be playing :D Which is sad because i've been waiting for a FPS that isnt a *** clone of COD/BF and Dust genuinely feels different/more fun.

this game is definetly evolving way slower than i expected. i havent given up on it yet tho. now more than ever the skill gap is showing up. all the daily players are at prototype gear and just steamrolling the noobs in pub matches, i expect this to change when us daily players can spend our time in null-sec invading planets, playing against other prototype gear players. the next update is suppose to be a huge graphical overhaul, lets hope this fixes the awful framerate issues. overall i am still having fun with the game so i will continue playing.
ps3vaita

Post by ps3vaita »

ithink this is good game iwill soon come try

Return to “Games”