Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Tutorials] PS2 Thread: Softmod, game backups, homebrew

Vagosdj

Re: [Tutorials] PS2 Thread: Softmod, game backups, homebrew

Post by Vagosdj »

I don't have 007.If i use swap magic it will work?
Advertising
grantf28

Post by grantf28 »

General Jewel wrote:Can someone please tell me how to exactly put over 4gb ps2 games on a external fat32 hdd. all games under 4gb are fine but trouble getting I.e gta3 on my hdd cos of the limit! All I see is usbutil but never in what to do or how to use :/
U must format external hardrive to nfts and then copy the games I have seen a slim ps2 read games frm an ntfs eternal hardrive and usb... bt havet done it kyself still struggling to get my fat ntsc ps2 or slim pal ps2 softkodded 007 games are immposible to find ere in south africa. Since need for speed ug2 does not work for the modd
Advertising
GhettoBeta59

Post by GhettoBeta59 »

Vagosdj wrote:I don't have 007.If i use swap magic it will work?
I believe Swap Magic will work fine! How do you intend to use it though? I know you can load ELFs from USB devices with a certain command so you could just plop the Free McBoot installation ELF on a USB and run it just like that.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
grantf28

Post by grantf28 »

Hay threads been helpfull. Can anyone help me I hav two ps2 fats pal both broken lenses and a fullyworking ntsc ps2 fat. Just installed fmcb on two memory cards with my ps2 slim pal and I want to gt it on my fat ntsc bt apparently thats imposible since I dont have compateble games to do disc swap on my ntsc fat ps2. Bt since I hav parts of two old pal fat ps2 cant I use my ntsc disc box thing on my pal ps2 fat that has a broken lense and then install fmcb on that frankanstein ps2 fat.lol plz
Vagosdj

Post by Vagosdj »

I would run the swap magic and when it was ok to place the disc i would place the free mc boot cd.
Thanks GhettoBeta59
GhettoBeta59

Post by GhettoBeta59 »

grantf28 wrote:Hay threads been helpfull. Can anyone help me I hav two ps2 fats pal both broken lenses and a fullyworking ntsc ps2 fat. Just installed fmcb on two memory cards with my ps2 slim pal and I want to gt it on my fat ntsc bt apparently thats imposible since I dont have compateble games to do disc swap on my ntsc fat ps2. Bt since I hav parts of two old pal fat ps2 cant I use my ntsc disc box thing on my pal ps2 fat that has a broken lense and then install fmcb on that frankanstein ps2 fat.lol plz
Since you have it on your memory card, just use the card on the fat. Easy as that!
Vagosdj wrote:I would run the swap magic and when it was ok to place the disc i would place the free mc boot cd.
Thanks GhettoBeta59
Welcome. :)
frenchkitten

Post by frenchkitten »

I used a different way of installing Free McBoot WITHOUT using 007: Agent Under Fire, which I couldn't find. I used Cogswap to run a uLaunch DVD, then ran the FreeMcBoot installer from a USB stick. The game I used to launch Cogswap was FIFA2003 PAL Platinum Edition. My PS2 is a Slim SCPH-77002, and I had covered the sensors for my swapping. I guess this could work for any game really, as all you are using is the games disc verification, but I have only tried this one. The guide I looked at recommended that the game you use have an LBA of over 1000000, check this using Apache. I couldn't get the standard disk swap + ELF replacement to work, but this did the trick.

The process was to change the filesize of SLES5911.97 on my ripped ISO to match that of cogswap.elf(or driving.elf if you use my dl link), then rename cogswap.elf to SLES5911.97 and update the files on the ISO, all using Apache. I then burnt the updated ISO to a DVD-R.

I then downloaded a uLaunch 4.12 DVD iso, and burnt that to a DVD.

The last thing to prepare is a USB stick, formatted it to FAT32. I copied the necessary FreeMcBoot files to the USB drive, resulting in freemcboot.elf and an INSTALL folder in the root.

It took me a while to figure out, but you only need to swap TWICE to get this working. Thats original CD > Cogswap > original CD. I guess other people knew that already, but it was hard to glean from various tutorials.

Put the original disk in the PS2, then wait until AFTER the Playstation2 screen comes up. The laser should be towards the centre of the disk here- IMMEDIATELY when it moves to the outer rim, swap to the Cogswap disk, then IMMEDIATELY when it goes back to the centre, change to the original disk. I tried swapping so many times before I tried this, now I can get it straight away. Your original disk should be in there at the end with cogswap on the screen. The timing is sticky with this, practice for a while and you should get it.

Press X in Cogswap to run your original disk, then when is says USE COGSWAP, put your uLaunch DVD in. Navigate through the file browser to MASS which is your USB stick, and run freemcboot.elf. In the McBoot UI, select install. Now you can turn off your PS2, take the disk out, and turn it on...there should be some nice extra menu options there for you! Now any time you want to play a burnt game, just put it in and turn on the PS2, and Mcboot will run it for you!

Remember, burnt games must be patched using ESF patcher, it is included in the package.

I used most stuff from this pack
EXCEPT uLaunch, I used 4.12, which you can get here.
rainof89

Post by rainof89 »

I exchange my ps2 slim (0C) for a phat that can install mcboot

I tried the disc swapping method using fifa 2005 for hours without success. So frustrating :x

Eventually my ps2 dvd drive broke and now, the game spins very slowly with the ps2 saying disc read error :cry:

Anyone know what happen to my ps2? I googled around with ppl saying to either clean or replace the lens. Any advice would be nice
GhettoBeta59

Post by GhettoBeta59 »

rainof89 wrote:I exchange my ps2 slim (0C) for a phat that can install mcboot

I tried the disc swapping method using fifa 2005 for hours without success. So frustrating :x

Eventually my ps2 dvd drive broke and now, the game spins very slowly with the ps2 saying disc read error :cry:

Anyone know what happen to my ps2? I googled around with ppl saying to either clean or replace the lens. Any advice would be nice
Do any of your other games work?

Return to “Tutorials”