Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

New Antispam mod, please report any issue

svenn

Re: New Antispam mod, please report any issue

Post by svenn »

Considering the traffic, this board draws close to no spambots, the "popular reg questions" have been "manually broken" some spambot created a database of questions, and since there are allot popular questions/google-able questions this method is "broken". (although some are broken using human answering, low-payed-jobs)

The last board I cleaned had over 150 registrations/12h using dutch language questions, we ended up adding a few mods/hacks and that solves it, pretty clean :) I'm against humans having to do the clean-up, cause there will be a time bots are so close humans can't predict if its bots or humans. WP does a great job filtering, to bad phpBB blaims their users for spam.
hgoel0974 wrote:And I thought there was a new Moderator :lol:
Mod and Moderator are two terms that always mix me up!
There also called Hacks, but that would mess up even more people :D "new Antispam hack", wut ? can it run ISO's ? :P
Advertising
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

hgoel0974 wrote:And I thought there was a new Moderator :lol:
Mod and Moderator are two terms that always mix me up!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by Nix50 »

svenn wrote:There also called Hacks, but that would mess up even more people :D "new Antispam hack", wut ? can it run ISO's ? :P
Hahaha! :lol:
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

svenn wrote:Considering the traffic, this board draws close to no spambots, the "popular reg questions" have been "manually broken" some spambot created a database of questions, and since there are allot popular questions/google-able questions this method is "broken". (although some are broken using human answering, low-payed-jobs)

The last board I cleaned had over 150 registrations/12h using dutch language questions, we ended up adding a few mods/hacks and that solves it, pretty clean :) I'm against humans having to do the clean-up, cause there will be a time bots are so close humans can't predict if its bots or humans.
We've had over 17,000 spambots/spammers register for this site in the last three months... Be it a bot or an actual person, they get all get banned, we don't tolerate spam here.
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
I AM A RETIRED MODERATOR!
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

svenn wrote: WP does a great job filtering, to bad phpBB blaims their users for spam.
QFT.
It baffles me that phpBB does not have integrated Aksimet support, which is what Wordpress has, and I have NO spam on the blog despite it not requiring any form of registration or captcha to post. Clearly, Akismet works (and that's what we added with this mod)
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
svenn

Post by svenn »

Disturbed0ne wrote:We've had over 17,000 spambots/spammers register for this site in the last three months... Be it a bot or an actual person, they get all get banned, we don't tolerate spam here.
Banning is not working, you are fighting an infinite loop, most bots are like viruses, they pass your system and inject there load. After that there is nothing to do for the body expect clean up. But the infection remains. I had great experiences with this mod : https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... ha_plugin/ , due to the effect of bots not beeing able to drag-and-drop and parse information, but again its only a mather of time.

But Aksimet is very good, it protects WP very well, I believe due to the high amount of data they get, the can actively filter out spammers based on content, ip, usernames. Its no rocket science. phpBB should have adapted the technology long ago, they are still stuck in denial.

Great job ;)
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

It works great for bots but we've also had a ton of actual people registering accounts to spam.

We're working on ways of preventing them from registering as well.
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
I AM A RETIRED MODERATOR!
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Maybe a limit on where you can post? or a certain number of posts per day, until maybe a month?
Such measures would surely slow the spammers.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
svenn

Post by svenn »

Disturbed0ne wrote:It works great for bots but we've also had a ton of actual people registering accounts to spam.
We're working on ways of preventing them from registering as well.
You can't stop people from spamming. :) I could start spamming right now :)
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

svenn wrote:You can't stop people from spamming. :) I could start spamming right now :)
and I could start banning you right now :lol:

Return to “Announcements”