Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Gateway 3DS

Everything that is 3DS related but doesn't go in any other subforum
wraddek

Gateway 3DS

Post by wraddek »

So guys, I want to hear what your thoughts and opinions on the gateway 3DS are. I know there are reported bricked devices that some respected devs believe were bricked due to the implementation of malicious code by the gateway team in order to stop people from using gateway clones... Or something along those lines. So what do you guys think, is the Gateway 3DS worth the risk and the $$$ ? :)
Advertising
Wradical ;)
Blaze

Re: Gateway 3DS

Post by Blaze »

wraddek wrote:So guys, I want to hear what your thoughts and opinions on the gateway 3DS are. I know there are reported bricked devices that some respected devs believe were bricked due to the implementation of malicious code by the gateway team in order to stop people from using gateway clones... Or something along those lines. So what do you guys think, is the Gateway 3DS worth the risk and the $$$ ? :)
With the new 2.1 Update there are no brick reports and I definitely recommend it as I am using it.
If you are going to buy look at the trusted resellers on the gateway site so you won't be getting a clone.
And most of the games so far are working perfectly.
Advertising
hudavendigar

Post by hudavendigar »

I got one as soon as the 2.1 update was released. Though Wololo pointed out they are making a hefty profit, it does what it says on the tin.
wraddek

Post by wraddek »

With the new 2.1 Update there are no brick reports and I definitely recommend it
Oh, well that's awesome.
So are there any known negative consequences to using the Gateway 3ds? Such as nintendo somehow finding out or anything at all like that. Also, does gateway run many emulators well?
Thanks for the replies
Wradical ;)
Alpmaster

Post by Alpmaster »

I prefer the MT CARD myself they have every game working and keep us updated.
Game On!
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

xprxbatmanxprx
Location: Batcave ... .. Searching ... .. Searching ... Unknown Location

Post by xprxbatmanxprx »

SMOKE wrote:I'll just leave this here...
http://wololo.net/2014/01/19/nintendo-3 ... -practice/
It has been know for years that cheap Chinese cards/chips/tablets/smartphones/etc clones will fail to operate as the "Original" ones, and because of that I believe that these clones are the main reason why gateway cards are bricking. (Google is my friend)(Not trying to be rude) ;)
PSP-1001 - 6.60 ME-1.8 _____ BATMAN _____ PSV-1101 - 1.81 Urbanix + Mad Blocker CEF 6.60 TN-V
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

You do know they are all cheap chinese tat right? even your precious "original" one
The fact remains that brick code was placed and even if its been removed it still was there, How anyone can support this is just astonishing but hey as long as you can have your 1$0z right?
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
mlc

Post by mlc »

It appears that the brick code does still exist in the latest firmware, but evidently is safer than before.

But they never intended to brick their legitimate customers in the first place, and did accidentally. Also they acted maliciously by inserting that code; it was quite immoral and probably illegal.

I wouldn't personally advise that anyone use Gateway's firmware until the brick code is definitively gone. That hardware mod to allow reflashing the 3DS plus a backup of the device's NAND might be sufficient to make using a Gateway essentially safe, though. And maybe they did a "good" job with the brick code this time and it won't trigger on anyone unintentionally. But, of course, if you buy a clone unintentionally that is marketed as a Gateway 3DS (or if their code malfunctions again) then Gateway will break your relatively rare 4.1-4.5 3DS and cost you two hundred+ dollars.

Regardless of your feelings on the morality of piracy, I really don't think it's a good idea to support a company that was willing to do what Gateway did. It would have been absurd for them to merely brick the cloned cards; bricking the actual 3DSes of "clone users" (and oops other people too! oh wellll) makes them a very scummy company. It's just sad that they are operating a "grey market" kind of business and will never answer legally for the harm they have done.

So, TL;DR
MT-Card is much more trustworthy, but for all I know the Gateway hardware may be a lot better. Gateway isn't trustworthy at all, and their initial brick code showed that it is entirely possible they will break your device accidentally, even if you didn't intentionally use a clone.
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

Question: If there's still the possibility that this can brick your device AND it was intentionally coded, why use it?

Return to “General”