Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Gateway 3DS

Everything that is 3DS related but doesn't go in any other subforum
tinostar91

Re: Gateway 3DS

Post by tinostar91 »

fate6 wrote:You do know they are all cheap chinese tat right? even your precious "original" one
The fact remains that brick code was placed and even if its been removed it still was there
Please tell me what nowadays isn't cheap chinese cr*p, difference is most of the time only in casing.

Those clones were doing 1 thing: changing name/logo shown in their software and claiming it as their own (I somehow remember community reaction to those CFWs which were completely same as ProCFW but renamed). Iirc the brick code got activated only if the hash of launcher wasn't equal to some calculation being done later in the bootchain and even that one was activated randomly, not always. They had made some safety measures so if the hash of the launcher wasn't the same comparing to the preconfigured one (file broke during transfer etc.) it would not start booting at all. That part of launcher got deleted by those clones in order to launch their modified one.
Why should they provide support to those ones who didn't even buy their product? If you want to have their software to run properly, you should also have their device which is the one they are making it for (like if I wanted iOS to run on my old Symbian s60v3 Nokia). I've read about some legit Gateways bricking consoles but most of the time it turned out that the launcher was modified (region-free patch) thus making the hash different and activating the brick code.

Something like this also used to happen with Matrix Infinity clones, modified FW to show their logo instead of original one (sometimes not even that) and completely cut functionality of the original one, for example if you tried to change something in settings or update FW the chip would render unusable because it did lack some vital parts like programmable EEPROM and I don't know what else. Some of them were making Matrix devices to look unreliable as they were labeled as one even if they were some cheap clone. Try to find the real Matrix Infinity modchip nowadays and try to find a really cheap clone of it, you'll see which one will show faster (like the ones with FW 1.99 even if the last original one was 1.93).

My take on that is somehow like this: It's their software, they can do whatever they want to do with it, no matter if their approach is moral or not.
If you are buying illegal accessories then it's only your failure if something goes wrong as you should not buy them in the first place.
Advertising
nightnero253

Post by nightnero253 »

mlc wrote:It appears that the brick code does still exist in the latest firmware, but evidently is safer than before.

But they never intended to brick their legitimate customers in the first place, and did accidentally. Also they acted maliciously by inserting that code; it was quite immoral and probably illegal.

I wouldn't personally advise that anyone use Gateway's firmware until the brick code is definitively gone. That hardware mod to allow reflashing the 3DS plus a backup of the device's NAND might be sufficient to make using a Gateway essentially safe, though. And maybe they did a "good" job with the brick code this time and it won't trigger on anyone unintentionally. But, of course, if you buy a clone unintentionally that is marketed as a Gateway 3DS (or if their code malfunctions again) then Gateway will break your relatively rare 4.1-4.5 3DS and cost you two hundred+ dollars.

Regardless of your feelings on the morality of piracy, I really don't think it's a good idea to support a company that was willing to do what Gateway did. It would have been absurd for them to merely brick the cloned cards; bricking the actual 3DSes of "clone users" (and oops other people too! oh wellll) makes them a very scummy company. It's just sad that they are operating a "grey market" kind of business and will never answer legally for the harm they have done.

So, TL;DR
MT-Card is much more trustworthy, but for all I know the Gateway hardware may be a lot better. Gateway isn't trustworthy at all, and their initial brick code showed that it is entirely possible they will break your device accidentally, even if you didn't intentionally use a clone.
MT card more trust worthy? They do nothing but steal gateways work.
Advertising
mlc

Post by mlc »

SMOKE wrote:Question: If there's still the possibility that this can brick your device AND it was intentionally coded, why use it?
Wishful thinking? The comparisons can be absurd, but it's basically the same as any other risky/dangerous behavior. Plenty of people risk their and other's safety with little prior thought, so it's not surprising that greed (for "free" games) and impatience would get many people to buy this product, even risking their expensive 3DS.

I just see Gateway as a bad bet. Best case, the brick code never fails and "hits" me, but I've financially supported a truly terrible company. Worst case, I have to spend two to three hundred dollars to replace my 3DS, just for the ability to play the games I do own. It would quickly become obvious that those hundreds would have been better spent on actual, physical, support-the-developer 3DS games. Even if I got a Gateway for free, I'd be very unlikely to risk my system to use it.

Eventually there will be a better 3DS hack (or at least a better card from a better company), and that's what to wait for if you reeeally need the features a 3DS flash cart provides. (or MT-Card, I guess, but I know basically nothing about it other than that it probably doesn't have malicious code like Gateway does)

But this is almost inevitable when the goal is specifically piracy and the "scene" is entirely monetized. While clearly "there's no honor among thieves" isn't applicable in all situations, this is kind of a situation where a "turf war" between groups operating outside traditional laws has led to "civilian (3DS) casualties." (now authorities would probably care if Gateway was physically blowing up 3DSes, but I can't imagine "my device for copyright theft broke my electronics" is going to get much traction or legal interest)
nightnero253 wrote: MT card more trust worthy? They do nothing but steal gateways work.
I believe you're correct.(assuming MT-Card is still based on Gateway 1.2 from before the brick code) The difference is, Gateway tried (and is still trying) to harm people. And in doing so, they harmed both the innocent and less innocent. Until MT-Card attempts to harm customers to protect their business/(~monopoly), they are by definition more trustworthy. Who do you trust more, someone who copies or someone who is "violent" and scheming? MT-Card may be acting immorally, but certainly not "untrustworthy" to the extent of Gateway.
tinostar91 wrote: My take on that is somehow like this: It's their software, they can do whatever they want to do with it, no matter if their approach is moral or not.
If you are buying illegal accessories then it's only your failure if something goes wrong as you should not buy them in the first place.
Just because an illicit business can "do whatever it wants" doesn't mean it shouldn't be rightfully despised and blamed when it intentionally does something harmful. Your logic can easily be applied to things like illegally imported medication, illicit substances cut dangerously for profit, or material items imported that were produced without sufficient safety or quality standards. Now clearly the examples that risk life and limb are far more egregious, but you're still arguing that "since they aren't operating fully lawfully, they should not be criticized when they willfully do harm or act immorally."

Also Gateway bricked some of their own users, though supposedly the brick code has now been somewhat more refined. I read that it was taking some hash of memory values, so if you were unlucky and your card made a mistake (which was encouraged by using Gateway's own diagnostics utility), then Gateway would wipe and write/password protect your 3DS NAND. No, "you get what you deserve because they are selling a semi-illegal product" does not excuse their behavior at all. (but it does show that you shouldn't trust someone in a relatively "fly by night" business with your money or hardware)
Last edited by mlc on Thu May 01, 2014 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
nightnero253

Post by nightnero253 »

nightnero253 wrote:
MT card more trust worthy? They do nothing but steal gateways work.[/quote]

I believe you're correct.(assuming MT-Card is still based on Gateway 1.2 from before the brick code) The difference is, Gateway tried (and is still trying) to harm people. And in doing so, they harmed both the innocent and less innocent. Until MT-Card attempts to harm customers to protect their business/(~monopoly), they are by definition more trustworthy. Who do you trust more, someone who copies or someone who is "violent" and scheming? MT-Card may be acting immorally, but certainly not "untrustworthy" to the extent of Gateway.[/quote]
The only reason gateway has the brick code os because of MT, R4i, and a few others that are stealing their work.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

I will never understand people :/
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
RandQalan

Post by RandQalan »

fate6 wrote:I will never understand people :/

Have to agree with you their copy if bad code is likely to make you pay for a new 3DS
The original company has brick code is BS and stupid to use

I say like I say for the Vita wait for a good hack not a knockoff or a clone save you money in the long run ;)

Like with the dongle for PS3 had brick code in it once upon a time never really perm if you know what you are doing but a pain in the *ss :lol:
mlc

Post by mlc »

nightnero253 wrote: The only reason gateway has the brick code os because of MT, R4i, and a few others that are stealing their work.
Right, the only reason Gateway is willing to risk harming you is because they want to protect their business from competitors. I honestly can't see why anyone would want to defend their actions. And they still haven't even removed the brick code, they've only tried to make it "more safe!"

You can certainly argue that they make the "best" 3DS flash cart on the market, but you still have to acknowledge their massive and continuing flaws. "They're really pretty sure they won't accidentally break your stuff, this time" just doesn't seem like a great argument to me.
nightnero253

Post by nightnero253 »

mlc wrote:
nightnero253 wrote: The only reason gateway has the brick code os because of MT, R4i, and a few others that are stealing their work.
Right, the only reason Gateway is willing to risk harming you is because they want to protect their business from competitors. I honestly can't see why anyone would want to defend their actions. And they still haven't even removed the brick code, they've only tried to make it "more safe!"

You can certainly argue that they make the "best" 3DS flash cart on the market, but you still have to acknowledge their massive and continuing flaws. "They're really pretty sure they won't accidentally break your stuff, this time" just doesn't seem like a great argument to me.
I do not agree with the brick code they use. Honestly, they should just get rid of it and maybe make some kind of encryption in their exploit loader so it can't be modified by the "competitors". Sure MT was the first to support Multi-Rom, but they either stole GW's work, or they are GW under a different name. As for the bricking, I never had an issue after the 2.0 beta release.
wraddek

Post by wraddek »

I find it hilarious that Gateway put the brick code in to protect their company from clones... Or in other words, from piracy... The company that allows you to use piracy and rip off nintendo/game devs. work on your 3ds punishes you for using rip offs of their work. Wow, just wow :roll:
Wradical ;)
Freddy01

Post by Freddy01 »

I think that the easiest way to get a Gateway to work is using the Luigi´s Mansion 3DS Bundle. It comes already in 4.5 and it comes working out of the box.

Return to “General”