Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How to change your PS3 internal HDD

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
paulvita

How to change your PS3 internal HDD

Post by paulvita »

This tutorial explains how to change the internal hard drive of the PS3. The internal hard drive of a PS3 is a Serial ATA 5400 rpm.
Depending on your version, it may be useful to replace it for a size or with an additional 7200 rpm instead of 5400, especially for placing the backups of your games if you have a custom firmware.
Note that I done this tutorial on a slim PS3 but I don't think it will be very different with other models.

You will need :
- A hard drive 2.5 inch Serial ATA (=SATA ) no higher than 8 millimeters of 5400 or 7200 rpm (using one of 7200 rpm could increase the heat generated by the console, do not use a 7200 rpm on old consoles that are more sensitive to YLOD. Be careful if you have data in, everything will be deleted.
- A small Phillips screwdriver.
- A USB or external HDD formatted in FAT32 with enough space to copy the entire contents of your old hard drive (unless you do not care to lose all your saves / backups).
- A USB device to put the PS3UPDAT.PUP file.

Step 1 - Preparation

You should know that when changing the hard drive, you will need the update file of the current version of firmware you have installed on your PS3.
- Download PS3UPDAT.PUP file version the same of your PS3 (to know the version of your PS3, go to settings, system settings and system information).
If you don’t have the firmware file, you can find it easily by googling the firmwares even if it’s an OFW (I found a site than contains all CFWs and OFWs but I don’t know if can post it here).
- Take your external USB device, create a "PS3" folder to the root. Create there a "UPDATE" folder.
- Then copy in the "UPDATE" folder the file PS3UPDAT.PUP.

Step 2 - Back up files

- If you want to find all your backups done on the internal drive, your game saves, your homebrews installed, you must back up the content on an external USB device formatted in FAT32. The trophies are not saved, consider making a synchronization on the PSN server before the backup.
- Connect your USB device.
- Go to settings, then system settings.
-Go now to "Backup".
- Select "Save".
- The PS3 tells you that trophies will not be saved.
- Confirm and wait. Personally, it took me 9 hours! Think to facilitate aeration of your console to prevent it from overheating during this long time.

Step 3 - Disassembly

- Take your PS3, unplug all cables, and turn it.
- On the front of the PS3, you will see a small rectangle. Lift and turn. Unscrew the Phillips screw inside blue.
- There is an end of the detachable faceplate. Move it to the left to remove.
- Inside you will see your hard drive, and a handle. Pull it out.
- Remove the 4 Phillips screws that hold the hard drive case.
- Put your new hard drive to replace the old and screw it, then do the steps in reverse to put everything back in the PS3.
- Slide the housing in the PS3, put the façade, replace the blue screw, turn the PS3 and connect the cables.

Step 4 - Formatting

- Turn on your PS3.
- It asks you to plug in your controller via USB and press the PS button, do it.
- The PS3 tells you that it does not recognize the contents of the hard drive inserted, it is quite normal. She tells you to insert a device containing the update of the current version of your PS3. You've downloaded the file in step 1. Insert the USB where you have the PS3 UPDATE folder and contains the PS3UPDAT.PUP.
- Press START + SELECT button when done.
- The PS3 ask you to confirm the deletion of all data in the new hard drive. Confirm with START and SELECT for 5 seconds.
- Wait for formatting. Do not touch anything during this step.
- The PS3 will ask you to reconfirm that you have chosen to install the firmware used in the "UPDATE" folder earlier. Press the PS button.
- Accept the user agreement.
- Wait for the setup.
- Well, now your PS3 will ask you to reconfigure as when first used. Put quickly done anything because everything will be replaced by your backup.

Step 5 - Restoration

- Go to settings, system settings.
- Then in "Backup".
- Choose "restore".
- Confirm the restoration.
- Again, it's a long step because it took me 3 hours and 30 minutes to restore 100GB.
- Go to "System Information" admire the new size of your hard drive.

Now your PS3 contains your new hard drive!!

Enjoy.
Advertising
Last edited by paulvita on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: How to change your PS3 internal HDD

Post by fate6 »

You should point out what model PS3 these instruction are for.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
paulvita

Post by paulvita »

I added this info now, thanks for reminding me. I have done this on a slim PS3.
BlackRose13

Post by BlackRose13 »

Having only recently come on the PS3 scene, I found this tutorial really handy. I have one of the older fat models, so I had to cross-reference your guide with a couple others, but the majority of your steps are right on. Thanks for the great guide!
DarkDreamTCK

Post by DarkDreamTCK »

Is it at all possible to do this with a broken ps3? My 6th fat ylod on me and I'm trying to get the data off of it.

Return to “Tutorials”