Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How to speed up your PS4's internet connection

Post here your guides, tips, How-to, etc...
JMQMOfficials

How to speed up your PS4's internet connection

Post by JMQMOfficials »

In this tutorial, I will show you how to speed up your internet connection. You will need a computer and the credentials for your router.
STAticKY wrote:"DMZing" an ip address opens ALL ports that DONT have a current portforward rule.

this an extreme security risk and is why dmz's are used to catcah all "other" traffic and forward it to a server(the DMZ'd IP) that is isolated from the rest of your network.

problem is in these setups that you describe, there is no DMZ server, just a PS3 in its place. So sure, your opening it right up so i will most probably go faster, but depending on the rest of your network, that ps3 isnt safe from me...

EDIT: also if you have multiple consoles this wont work
If there is a breach of security in your router or anything else, I will not be held responsible. You are doing this at your own risk!

First off, go to your settings

Go to Network

Select Set Up Internet Connection

Choose WiFi or LAN, depending if you use a cable or not

Select Custom

Choose an internet connection (if you have a password, fill it in)

Now when it asks you about IP Address settings, choose manual

Go to your computer and open up your command prompt (search -> cmd)
Type in : ipconfig/all
Remember or write down your default gateway number

You will see this image after selecting manual
Type in the following :
IP Address - Your default gateway but the last numbers changed (ex. 192.168.0.111) (recommend 3 digits)
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - Default gateway
Primary DNS - Default gateway
Secondary DNS - Default gateway but last number increased by 1 (ex. 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.2)
Now select Next

Select Automatic for MTU

Select Do Not Use on Proxy Server

Do not test internet connected, just press O and turn off your PS4

Now you're done on your PS4 side, and onto the PC side again

Open your browser and type in your default gateway and press enter
Go to DMZ host or DMZ settings (might be in firewall settings)
Change your DMZ host address to the IP address from your PS4 (my example was 192.168.0.111)
Save settings and logout
Turn on your PS4 and test your internet connection

Complete! If this does not work, change it back to their defaults.

This worked for me greatly, I had 7.2mb/s before, and now I have 14.9mb/s. Very effective.
Advertising
Last edited by JMQMOfficials on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
vitalovesnintendo

Re: How to speed up your PS4's internet connection

Post by vitalovesnintendo »

I used a similar method on ps3 iirc I also changed the primary dns server. I did put my ps3 in DMZ after giving it a static ip adres.
But then I was told that if putting your device in a DMZ brings along considerable security risks. How much of that is true?
Also what are the MTU settings for?
Advertising
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
JMQMOfficials

Post by JMQMOfficials »

I never had any security breach the past 2 years using this method on other devices. I don't know any risk that comes with portforwarding.
MTU - Maximum Transmit Unit. It states the maximum size for internet transmission.
STAticKY

Post by STAticKY »

vitalovesnintendo wrote:I used a similar method on ps3 iirc I also changed the primary dns server. I did put my ps3 in DMZ after giving it a static ip adres.
But then I was told that if putting your device in a DMZ brings along considerable security risks. How much of that is true?
"DMZing" an ip address opens ALL ports that DONT have a current portforward rule.

this an extreme security risk and is why dmz's are used to catcah all "other" traffic and forward it to a server(the DMZ'd IP) that is isolated from the rest of your network.

problem is in these setups that you describe, there is no DMZ server, just a PS3 in its place. So sure, your opening it right up so i will most probably go faster, but depending on the rest of your network, that ps3 isnt safe from me...

Black PS3 2502 - 512GB SSD - 4.55 Cobra CFW
Black PS3 2102 - 120GB SSD - 4.55 OFW
Black PSV 1102 - 16GB - 3.12 OFW
Black PSV 1002 - 16GB - 3.01 TN-V8
Red PSP Slim 3002 - 128GB - 6.20 PRO-C2
JMQMOfficials

Post by JMQMOfficials »

STAticKY wrote:"DMZing" an ip address opens ALL ports that DONT have a current portforward rule.

Wow. Sure seems like a big risk, if you don't mind, I'll attach this to my thread.
vitalovesnintendo

Post by vitalovesnintendo »

STAticKY wrote:
vitalovesnintendo wrote:I used a similar method on ps3 iirc I also changed the primary dns server. I did put my ps3 in DMZ after giving it a static ip adres.
"DMZing" an ip address opens ALL ports that DONT have a current portforward rule.

Not to take away form JMQMofficials thread and tutorial but how would you advice getting the most out of your current internet connection on a PS4/PS Vita BUT in a secure way?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
JMQMOfficials

Post by JMQMOfficials »

Uhhh. Get a new router? Haha. This is the only way I know. Most routers right now are cheap (under $30) with a decent amount of download speed.

This is a good example : http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-l ... bfec06en02

That router was my previous one, it goes around 5mb/s.
My router is a smart gaming router so it goes to 10mb/s, then 4mb/s and it just jumps too much, but it doesn't slow down my gaming experience. The average for me is 7mb/s.
TheSpillmonkey

Post by TheSpillmonkey »

Setting up a DMZ to a device on the inside of the same lan segment as your other network devices is generally a terrible idea. Just get a new router.

UPnP is a great thing for home routers. It will open/auto-forward any and all ports that the ps4 asks of it while not leading to major security problems. It is just not a good idea to teach/instruct people who do not fully understand even basic networking to enable a DMZ in their household.
Winter Is Coming...

Return to “Tutorials”