Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Question about Linux on PS4

Underground PS4 discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
romain337

Question about Linux on PS4

Post by romain337 »

Hi guys, I have some question about Linux. If you can enlight me ^^ This is just by curiosity, about 3d accel.

I've seen the article that claim that GPU driver work and SteamOS would be possible. I have absolutely no doubt about this, but that seem too easy.

I mean, on the screenshot we see that the driver used is the Gallium driver (the ati open source driver). The Gallium driver is not powerfull as the ATI one, it is ? There is certainly some benchmark over internet but I'm lazy to search for. Anyway, if the open source driver work does it will be possible to adapt the official ATI drivers to have better performances ? 3d accel is impressive but glxgears showing +/- 55 fps really is a very low score (vsync is activated and did not reach 60fps so I guess it's bad).

I don't ask if ATI will provide the drivers (of course not!) but as the GPU seem to share the same architecture at some point with the ATI's PC GPU (that's why the driver are compatible at some points I think) maybe it would be possible ?

The second and last question, is that we heard about console GPU that is sometime modified to have some more functionnalities. I have only one example in mind that is the PSVITA GPU. We see that the gpu comes with mysterious extra features. I don't know what it could be, I imagine that the GX TileMap functionnalities is one of the "extra feature" that a gpu can have (this one is for the Wii, it draws an entire tilemap on screen with the help of 2 texture binding, and that's not common in PC GPU with fixed pipeline).

Vita GPU : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#S ... 28SGXMP.29

So the question is how those extra features will be supported by the driver? In my opinion it's really not important if Linux comes with gpu accel and is compatible with OpenGL 3.3 or even 4+ but it's cool to have some advice/enlightement from people that know.

Thanks for reading
Advertising
nyx

Re: Question about Linux on PS4

Post by nyx »

It's not possible to "adapt" the propriety driver in any way.

Wii has a custom GPU, no mainstream computer used it afaik, so it doen't count as an "extra feature".
If one needs support for those features they'll have to add support for it in the free drivers.
Advertising

Return to “Programming and Security”