Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Question about PS4 backwards compatibility

Everything that is PS4-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
NinjaKakashi

Question about PS4 backwards compatibility

Post by NinjaKakashi »

After xbox announced in E3 that they would have backwards compatibility for xbox 360 games on the xbox one it made me jealous of xbox console owners as this is a feature I would enjoy in terms of a playstation 4 equivalent.

The question that I was wondering is just how possible is it for PS4 to support backwards compatibility with PS3 games?

(This has been frustrating for me to figure out as I have little knowledge of computing and everyone on the Internet is dishing out answers with little knowledge themselves)
Advertising
Cyber

Re: Question about PS4 backwards compatibility

Post by Cyber »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... h_Xbox_One
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... _Now_games

Microsoft wrote a 360 emulator for backwards compatibility while Sony streams games to PS4.
Sony can theoretically follow MS and write PS3 emulator for PS4, but that will cannibalize their own PS Now (and Gaikai purchase), so I wouldn't count on that. Especially if you compare Wikipedia lists above.
Advertising
NinjaKakashi

Post by NinjaKakashi »

Yes I understand that to be fair and how unlikely playstation are to do this due to their PS NOW service... PS NOW is a major rip off though from what I have seen as for a price to rent a game in the uk beta is the same price you could buy them on Playstation store. The service will be spread eventually on all sorts of devices such as tablets which makes me hope that they will still care a little for an emulation method of backwards compatibility for the PS4.

The question I meant to ask is if Sony wanted could they actually build an internal solution to backwards compatibility that requires no internet?

(Hope that makes sense)
Bert960

Post by Bert960 »

Cyber wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... h_Xbox_One
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... _Now_games

Microsoft wrote a 360 emulator for backwards compatibility while Sony streams games to PS4.
Sony can theoretically follow MS and write PS3 emulator for PS4, but that will cannibalize their own PS Now (and Gaikai purchase), so I wouldn't count on that. Especially if you compare Wikipedia lists above.
Bruh, who would waste money to stream classic/old gen games when a majority of them have crappy Internet? PS Now is the worst idea Sony ever came up with. I'm mad that they dropped the idea of Backwards Compatibility after they started making Second Gen PS3's. A streaming service doesn't even come close to B.C. They need to get their act together and bring that jawn back.
NinjaKakashi

Post by NinjaKakashi »

Bert960 I completely agree with everything you say there. I just wonder if the PS3's "complicated" architecture can be emulated by PS4's "simple pc" architecture.

I have no idea if this can be done and was hoping someone would know of a answer of just how possible backwards compatibility is...
Bert960

Post by Bert960 »

I'm not sure if the PS4 itself can emulate the PS3, but I know for a fact that the PS4 has enough power to enable Backwards Compatibility. Sony would have to compile and release a software in order for the PS4 to read PS3 discs. The problem with this is because of the release of PS NOW, Sony won't have any plans to enable this feature until everybody on this website go on their knees and pray that PS NOW sinks into the Abyss and Sony will finally wake up from their senses. With all jokes aside, there is a possibility for B.C., but that job will most likely be left for third-party developers. This could take years tho. Depending on how much time the scene invests on the console and the amount of information they can gain access to. Hopefully, they'll get there.
ruyor
Retired Mod

Post by ruyor »

The PS4 will not be able to support local PS3 backwards compatibility. The systems are way too different and emulation would be incredibly hard to pull off if at all. They COULD do software emulation for PS1 and possibly PS2 discs if they wanted to.

The only reason the early PS3s had PS2 backwards compatibility was they basically had a PS2 on the motherboard. They removed the PS2 chips to cut down on costs/heat production (but mostly costs). All PS3s can still play PS1 games as that is a software emulator.
PCH-1001 - 3.60 - VHBL+PBubbles+HENkaku
PCH-1001 - 3.60 - VHBL+PBubbles+HENkaku
VTE-1001 - 3.60 - VHBL+PBubbles+HENkaku
My PSPs
01g:TA-079v1
01g:TA-086
02g:TA-085v1
02g:TA-085v2
04g:TA-093
09g:TA-095
05g:TA-091
NinjaKakashi

Post by NinjaKakashi »

Interesting replies. Incredible really that with all the things they did right with the ps4 yet backwards compatibility with the PS3 was not implemented. I can only assume 2 things:
1. Obviously they want to take more money of us using the PS3 straming service.
2. Due to the complications associated with the ps3's hardware it would be near impossible for
PS4 to be Backwards compatible whilst being at a decent price point.

Thanks for the responses and wish I had a deeper understanding so I knew who's answer was right. One can only dream of b.c for the ps4 I guess...

Return to “General”