Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Xim4 Review

Everything that is PS4-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
tigahawk

Xim4 Review

Post by tigahawk »

I haven't seen any mention of this elsewhere so thought I'd do it as I don't believe that many people know about this device.

http://www.xim4.com

It's a hardware attachment that you connect to your PS4, then link to your controller, and hook up to your keyboard and mouse.

Essentially it's a translator - which converts keyboard and mouse input into controller input. It has NOT been declared illegal by Sony or Microsoft - people that use it are not targeted or banned as it does not modify or attempt to do anything dodgy.

As someone whom was raised on PC games - I've tried my hardest but being forced to use a controller to play games ends up with me not using the console. I forced myself to play The Last of Us and Destiny with a controller in hopes of adapting to it but in both games I got to a point where my aim just was not up to par and I was unable to progress in the game (taking too long to aim at something, in the mean time I am killed or the inability to aim quickly while moving when it's necessary became a brick wall for me) And I had actually given my first PS4 to my best mate as I had given up and thrown in the towel.

My mate got the Xim4 and introduced me to it. All I have to say is - OMG........ Godsend!!!

I was then able to finish Destiny and the Last of Us without issue. The game became a lot more fun because I did not feel like I had neurological damage and was trying to learn how to use my hands again via the controller. I'm now using it for playing Dying Light as again - when I tried with the console the requirement of looking directly at the thing you wanted to grab hold of was causing an issue as I could not look quick enough to pull it off which resulted in aggravation rather than enjoyment from the game.

How the thing works:

It just translates movement / keys you press on the keyboard into controller inputs which the console accepts. You use your PC or Android phone (not available on IPhone) to talk to the device and configure key bindings and sensitivity. Everything is re-bindable and you can change the sensitivity (for both movement and down scope) and you can store up to 4? game profiles on the device at one time (making it easy to configure then switch to the profile that relates to the game your playing) I highly recommend using an Android phone to tweak the settings as unless you have a KVM or 2x keyboards and mice you will find yourself having to unplug your keyboard and mouse from the PC and back into the Xim, testing the changes then repeating if it isn't to your liking.

The only issues I have had with the Xim is when my controller needs charging. Because my keyboard and mouse both are fully backlit with pretty lights - it increases the power draw on the device. Combine this with a controller that needs charging and it draws too much power for the xim to supply. the xim has a failsafe built in which kills all the USB ports and it flashes to notify you. The fix is to ensure the controller is fully charged or don't use a keyboard/mouse that draws as much power.

There may also be a learning curve if you use different bindings in different games as your brain needs to play connect the dots - you see Press O! and you need to link what you've bound that key too but it doesn't take too long to pick up. Having the Xim config manager on your phone is handy as you can see the key bindings easily through there to assist while you are learning.

I highly recommend this if you are in the same boat as me for absolutely sucking at using a controller but wanting to play on the console. Or If you enjoy PC games that are contaminated with hackers and wish to play in a hack free environment (IE - I'm waiting on H1Z1 to come out on PS4 as the PC alpha is absolutely filled with hackers. I will be able to enjoy a clean environment on the console in comparison...)

The price can seem a bit steep ($125? for the xim) but due to my controller "handicap" I am more than happy with the investment.

Note: The device also works with the PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One - so it has that utility as well!
Advertising
PS Vita 3.01 - PS4 - 1.61 - PS3 - 4.55

Return to “General”