Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

ISO cache size/iso driver seting

Total_Noob's PSP Emulator Custom Firmware for the Vita. CEF can be downloaded here.
mastrez87

ISO cache size/iso driver seting

Post by mastrez87 »

where is this in either TN/ark I can't seem to find it and it's a kinda important issue/ideal as this is a huge deal when it comes to improving overall performance. As procfw defaults to I believe ~16MB for the isocache size instead of 24MB.
Advertising
jack52032

Re: ISO cache size/iso driver seting

Post by jack52032 »

dont think TN-V or Ark have it
Advertising
mastrez87

Post by mastrez87 »

do you hapen to know if they're actually using the exra memory for decreased load times? Because if they'renot, then I may have to dig out my old psp as load tiems are bad enough already with the iso cache, and lso considering they're most likely not using the better iso driver.
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

Isn't an ISO cache a feature exclusive to PSP-2000s and newer ones? If so, eCFW is incapable of using it because it's limited to PSP-1000 specifications (32MB of RAM in particular) by Vita side on all but some ancient (2.02?) Vita firmware version.
Try to (un-/re-)compress your games and do some benchmarks with a stopwatch/camera if it's THAT time critical. Also post the results, it will be interesting to see them.
mastrez87

Post by mastrez87 »

So what's teh point of making sure that the game isn't a mini then? The whole point was to make sure that there was enough ram on it, and yes this is very much a critical thing as the vita's memory cards barely do 4-5MB/s and that's ungodly slow compared to what they could be.

Also wy woudl sony do that? I thought that quite a few games wereunde rthe impression that they had the extra ram, and this makes a _huge_ difference in terms of load times especially the nwe iso driver. What's the whole point of it all when the damned memory cards are so damned slow. As I said they seem to be only ~4-5MB/s wih the 32gb ones are getting ~5-6MB/s in reads and I'm pretty sure thatthe 64gb one may be up to 7MB/s but still it's insane that sony wouldn't give the thing the extra ram of psp2k/3k as they give you the cpu unlock and basically everything else out there.
Conjo

Post by Conjo »

mastrez87 wrote:So what's teh point of making sure that the game isn't a mini then? The whole point was to make sure that there was enough ram on it
Not sure why are you suddenly talking about minis but after certain FW on Vita they could only load <1MB files or something like that.
mastrez87 wrote:the vita's memory cards barely do 4-5MB/s
sources????
mastrez87 wrote:Also wy woudl sony do that? I thought that quite a few games wereunde rthe impression that they had the extra ram, and this makes a _huge_ difference in terms of load times especially the nwe iso driver.
I'm not sure many official games use the 64mb of ram and certainly sony doesn't use drivers as m33/inferno/etc, just their np9660 they've been using for a while
mastrez87 wrote:What's the whole point of it all when the damned memory cards are so damned slow.As I said they seem to be only ~4-5MB/s wih the 32gb ones are getting ~5-6MB/s in reads and I'm pretty sure thatthe 64gb one may be up to 7MB/s but still it's insane that sony wouldn't give the thing the extra ram of psp2k/3k as they give you the cpu unlock and basically everything else out there.
again: sources??????
---------
If it helps to calm you a bit over an apparently, but not actually measured, worse performance overall, ARK is basically PRO cfw for PSPemu on Vita
Playstation Vita (PCH-1010) Firmware 3.60 + HENkaku
Xbox 360 Latest Firmware
Nintendo Wii 4.3U + HBC + USBLoader GX + Nintendont
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

mastrez87 wrote:So what's teh point of making sure that the game isn't a mini then?
Reducing the attack surface or, simply put, crippling the homebrew potentially possible by exploiting a Mini.
Which it does, see VHBL vs. eCFW limitations.
mastrez87 wrote:Also wy woudl sony do that? I thought that quite a few games wereunde rthe impression that they had the extra ram, and this makes a _huge_ difference in terms of load times especially the nwe iso driver.
[...]
it's insane that sony wouldn't give the thing the extra ram of psp2k/3k as they give you the cpu unlock and basically everything else out there.
I'm fairly sure that no official PSP game ever used the additional RAM on slims directly (firmware handles that instead). In fact, Sony explicitly forbids game devs from checking which model of the PS3 their game runs on (as written in PS3 SDK docs) for backwards compatibility reasons (unlike 3DS/n3DS split, "love" Nintendo very much for that), so it's expected to be the case for PSP games too.
32MB limit on the Vita makes sense if you recall what additional RAM on the PSP was supposed to be used for originally: to cache the data read from UMD in order to alleviate to some extent its godawful reading speed/drive noise, wear and tear/battery consumption problems. Any other use beyond that (such as caching the data read from the memstick) is performed by CFW ONLY, so it's stupid to expect support of eCFW on Vita from Sony.
As for the 333MHz CPU speed: there are legit games which use it (at least one of GTA titles IIRC God of War: Chains of Olympus), so backwards compatibility demands the availability of that speed on eCFW, which it naturally has.
mastrez87

Post by mastrez87 »

If you can find me a blackspeed like program I can povide you with the actual read speeds but I'm gonig by the following.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... mory-cards

Also by the way, the zso/improved cso driver development is a _huge_ thing about makign me even think about using zso/cso on the vita as befor ethe patch cso would lag constantly in gta, and after it's perfectly playable. Plus it also sped up iso loading by reading more data at one time each time it did read data, and zso gives you compression but also doesn't increase loading times by very much at all.

Return to “TN CEF”