Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Vita POPS, PSP POPS differences?

Total_Noob's PSP Emulator Custom Firmware for the Vita. CEF can be downloaded here.
reprep

Vita POPS, PSP POPS differences?

Post by reprep »

Please correct me if i am wrong, but i assume we are using Vita POPS when we are booting PS1 games under PS1 Loader and PSP POPS when we are booting PS1 games under TN-V10. even though they are nearly the same, they have differences too. also PSP POPS we are using is 6.60 version for non-go psps as we are using 660.PBP for non-go PSPs when installing tn-v. VITA POPS we are using should be dependent on Vita Firmware.

If you are using PS1 Loader, you can reach the options menu via holding down the PS button and choosing settings next to your launcher game.

If you booting your PS1 games from withing TN-V, you can reach the options menu via pressing down the defined PS button on your tn-v settings. It's Select and Start combo as default.

Vita POPS has a custom screen mode which lets you resize the images via finger which i find very difficult. it is much easier to resize game screen in custom mode in PSP POPS via buttons. You have more buttons (all buttons of the dualshock including both analog sticks and R2/L2, R3/L3) to assign to front and back touch screens in Vita POPS than PSP POPS. You have to rely on button combos on PSP POPS to define all buttons as PSP does have less buttons than a DualShock. Also you cannot assign any button to back touch screen.

i haven't found any game spesific differences yet, but i believe there should be some too. This thread will be edited and include more info later hopefully with everybody's contributions.

EDIT: qwikrazor87 said there is no difference between what i called PSP POPS and Vita POPS mistakenly, only loaded modules differ. (read EDIT 2) Still GUI options for POPS differ in PS1 Loader and tn-v10. Main differences of GUI options:

PS1 Loader version is much more efficient in button remapping
TN-V10 Version it is easier to custom resize the screen since it doesn't rely on your fingers on touch screen.

EDIT 2: PSP POPS and VITA POPS are different. in VITA POPS, vita side takes care of SPU/GPU while PSP side takes care of CPU. VITA POPS is superior in rendering and compatibility.

EDIT 3: 1st scenario: We are booting a PS1 game within TN-V10. We are using what we call PSP POPS. PSP emulation of Vita takes care of PS1 CPU and GPU. as there is no SPU emulation, it is handled by the PEOPS Plugin.

2nd scenario: We are booting a PS1 game within PS1 Loader (aka TN-X beta). We are using what we call VITA POPS. PSP emulation of Vita takes care of PS1 CPU. The rest (SPU and GPU) is handled natively by Vita.
Advertising
Last edited by reprep on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tinostar91

Re: Vita POPS, PSP POPS differences?

Post by tinostar91 »

reprep wrote:Please correct me if i am wrong, but i assume we are using Vita POPS when we are booting PS1 games under PS1 Loader and PSP POPS when we are booting PS1 games under TN-V10
PS1 emulation from ePSP is almost the same as PS1 emulation from Vita with the only difference being that there is no Media Engine emulation in ePSP mode with no sound being produced as a result. When PS1 game is launched from Vita UI, it boots into limited PSP mode and uses PSP POPS emulator with activated Media Engine to play those games.
Advertising
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

^ as tinostar91 said.
PSP and PS1 games are run on the exact same emulator on the Vita, when a PSP game is launched you don't have access to the media engine, and when PS1 games are launched you don't have access to wlan or normal audio functions, and the video ram under PS1 is in the main ram instead of the usual address at 0x04000000.
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
reprep

Post by reprep »

qwikrazor87 wrote:^ as tinostar91 said.
PSP and PS1 games are run on the exact same emulator on the Vita, when a PSP game is launched you don't have access to the media engine, and when PS1 games are launched you don't have access to wlan or normal audio functions, and the video ram under PS1 is in the main ram instead of the usual address at 0x04000000.
thanks for making it clear. Still the Vita Gui for POPS options is much better than PSP Gui and i really like extra options such as bilinear filtering. and of course sound emulation through ME is unbeatable.

i got a question though, Total_Noob said he would include Popsloader in tn-v11. is it possible to reach POPSLOADER via PS1 loader too since they essentially use the same emulator? this would solve some problematic games which only could work via Popsloader in PSP. though i don't know if PS1 Loader has enough resources to load another POPS.
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

Yeah, it's possible, but I don't know whether or not there is any progress on it.
reprep

Post by reprep »

qwikrazor87 wrote:Yeah, it's possible, but I don't know whether or not there is any progress on it.
thanks for the answer.

EDIT: Has anyone noticed this?

There isn't a screenshot option normally on PS1 Loader or any ps1 game booted from Vita LiveArea. I am really puzzled.

EDIT 2: Appearantly some PS1 games has a Screenshot option, it is game-spesific and afaik not available on Tekken 2 or XS Moto.
Total-Noob
Guru

Post by Total-Noob »

It's TN-X with TN Menu, homebrews support, screenshot feature, buttons remap for every game, no games limit. But will never be released.
reprep

Post by reprep »

Total-Noob wrote:It's TN-X with TN Menu, homebrews support, screenshot feature, buttons remap for every game, no games limit. But will never be released.
Thanks for the info.

I really would like to see TN-X, but as it is your work, it is your decision to release it or not. Thanks for what you have already done.
evonture

Post by evonture »

Since I've thoroughly tested both POPS, I can confirm that Vita POPS runs smoother than PSP POPS and at a higher resolution (image much more clear and sharp).
It seems that the upscale in the Vita POPS use every display's pixel, while the PSP POPS is locked at 480x272. So it result in a double upscaling process which worsens the image quality blurring and stretching. Also, in PSP POPS, sometimes appear a weird horizontal tearing effect (more often during fast camera movements).
In short: Vita POPS and you're not wrong.

PS.: The Vita POPS has the analog digital\digital setting to set game-by-game, so, if you don't get any control working, just hold Home button, go to game's settings and, in the pad section, choose how to control the game (Analog or Digital).
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

@evonture
Yeah, PS1 games on the Vita have a higher resolution than 480 x 272, probably the main reason why the vram buffer was moved to the main ram.

Return to “TN CEF”