Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Bash for Windows - anyone using it for compiling for vita?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
hyausv67

Bash for Windows - anyone using it for compiling for vita?

Post by hyausv67 »

At the moment I'm using windows - I had some problems with cygwin for compiling 3ds stuff, so I abandoned that idea and just set up a vm.

But since windows 10 'supports' bash/ubuntu, is anyone here using it to compile any homebrew for vita (and 3ds)?
It works fine? Or, there are errors and it's not usable?

I thought I should ask, just to see, so I don't waste some time setting it up, or if there is anything I should do to 'fix' it if broken a little.

Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Bash for Windows - anyone using it for compiling for vit

Post by fate6 »

its just Ubuntu running under Windows so it should work fine.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
hyausv67

Post by hyausv67 »

fate6 wrote:its just Ubuntu running under Windows so it should work fine.
Yeah but it's not as simple as you think (otherwise I wouldn't have asked ;))
It's like 'wine' - compatibility is not 100% and not every program works perfectly.

If no one can give input I will test it myself.
Thanks though
lNJx0oAH

Post by lNJx0oAH »

if you have a decent computer just setup a Linux VM, with Virtualbox or HYper-V if you have a pro licence of WIN10.

I tried the bash shell on windows insider (i **** it up doing apt-get install on non off repo to test) and basicly it didn't end well i had to reinstall (i had backup so no big deal). so i don't advice for it because you will need a lot of dependency.

so i recommend the VM more stable and manageable for ease of use and maintenance.
if you know ArchLinux and minGW you can use Msys2 on windows (pacman -syu will fail right now but easy to fix)
hyausv67

Post by hyausv67 »

lNJx0oAH wrote:if you have a decent computer just setup a Linux VM, with Virtualbox or HYper-V if you have a pro licence of WIN10.

I tried the bash shell on windows insider (i **** it up doing apt-get install on non off repo to test) and basicly it didn't end well i had to reinstall (i had backup so no big deal). so i don't advice for it because you will need a lot of dependency.

so i recommend the VM more stable and manageable for ease of use and maintenance.
if you know ArchLinux and minGW you can use Msys2 on windows (pacman -syu will fail right now but easy to fix)
I have a few vms set up, but it is is always easier if it would be 'natively' in windows itself without having to run a whole os in a vm. I'm happy with my vms but it is good to know other options.

You can wipe the ubuntu part of windows, without having to reinstall the whole windows - sorry if you didn't know that and wasted time!

Return to “Programming and Security”