Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Post by fate6 »

The GPU is taken care of by the CPU or the media engine iirc and VRAM and RAM are both in the PSP's general RAM, Also yep the Vita has the entire PSP in its silicon which is real nifty.

Either way you still assume far to much with no real knowledge to back you up so PS2 emulsion at any sort of playable framerate is still impossible.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
maciak

Post by maciak »

melterx12 wrote:I am aware the PSP's CPU is very similar to the PSOne's. However afaik the GPU, RAM, and the rest of the hardware is quite different and is emulated on the PSP.

Looking the PS2's CPU, the Emotion Engine looks to be a custom chip from Sony. However from what I can dig up on it it also looks like it uses the MIPS III instruction set (same as PS1/PSP).

The Vita uses an ARM Cortex A9 CPU which uses a different instruction set. However, since the Vita can play PSP and PS1 games as well I can only assume there is either a secondary co-processor for this purpose, or it is all done through software emulation now.

Either way, I still believe PS2 emulation is possible to achieve on the Vita. Whether or not we will ever see it is a completely different story.
Ehh as mentioned before ps3 has a ps2 emu and it was made by sony that most probably has all of both machines specs and know how they works and could not do a proper job at emulating ps2 on a ps3 that is a lot more powerful than vita so why you believe vita could do that? I would be amazed by 1fps that's all :)
Advertising
reprep

Post by reprep »

Vita has PSP hardware inside according to yifanlu. I also believe that, biggest proof for that is PSP kernel exploits work on Vita unless patched. Emulating PSP to the point that emulates every instruction in software looks impossible. PS3's PSP emulator is a joke compared to Vita for compatibility.

For PS2, i don't think it is possible or only a POC emulator would be possible. It is hard to emulate PS2 even on recent systems let alone on Vita.

Would Sony manage it? I don't know, they either couldn't manage it for a satisfactory experience or they just didn't care and find it profitable.
MooMooMan

Post by MooMooMan »

reprep wrote:Vita has PSP hardware inside according to yifanlu. I also believe that, biggest proof for that is PSP kernel exploits work on Vita unless patched. Emulating PSP to the point that emulates every instruction in software looks impossible. PS3's PSP emulator is a joke compared to Vita for compatibility.

For PS2, i don't think it is possible or only a POC emulator would be possible. It is hard to emulate PS2 even on recent systems let alone on Vita.

Would Sony manage it? I don't know, they either couldn't manage it for a satisfactory experience or they just didn't care and find it profitable.
The most recent systems can handle it no issue. Even older ones can handle it semi decently. My 2009 MacBook can emulate PS2 games pretty dang well, and GameCube even better.

I think there's something missing that has to be done to achieve proper PS2 emulation.. Why does the GameCube emulator run so much better than the PS2 emu? Is it because the software hasn't fully matured, many things need to be fixed? Or is there more?

My laptop shouldn't be able to handle GC games better than PS2 games.. The PS2 has inferior hardware, and that's a fact. Yet GameCube emulators like Dolphin outperform emulators designed to emulate inferior hardware...

I'm not saying we're going to get PS2 120FPS 32X antialisaing and tripple buffering 1080P or 4K HD resolutions. I just think it's possible to achieve PS2 emulation at playable speeds for most games.. And if not, what about GameCube?

The ARM CPU inside the Vita is not as weak as many are making it to be.

To be quite honest, we will only know when PS2 emulation is mastered, or at least close to it, and then some golden soul ports it over to ARM.
Ps Vita 1000 3.60 HenKaku
PSP 3000 03g 6.20 LME 2.3 Perm (Black)
PSP 3000 03g 6.20 LME 2.3 Perm (Silver)
SoraNoKuni

Post by SoraNoKuni »

The beginning of the end? It's exactly the opposite, Vita is dead and the scene can breathe some life to it.
I don't believe it could hurt the Japanese market as well, most of them will continue to buy the games as they did and won't bother to pirate even if it becomes possible.

If you are talking about the indies, which are mostly ports, I don't believe they will stop porting their games on vita also many big indie(contradiction here) releases have a lot of help from sony, I don't believe piracy will harm them, at least not greatly.
Rejuvenate will do as the word says, bring life to vita.
reprep

Post by reprep »

Just to contribute, Yifanlu explained Vita works at 333 MHZ CPU normally and it can go up to 444 MHZ. These numbers are much, much lower than expected and makes any emulation beyond N64 impossible. Even a good N64 emulation is questionable if you ask me.

Well, at least we can get perfect SNES/Mega Drive/CPS1-2/Neo Geo. 16 bit rules.
GeminiContractor

Post by GeminiContractor »

reprep wrote:Just to contribute, Yifanlu explained Vita works at 333 MHZ CPU normally and it can go up to 444 MHZ. These numbers are much, much lower than expected and makes any emulation beyond N64 impossible. Even a good N64 emulation is questionable if you ask me.

Well, at least we can get perfect SNES/Mega Drive/CPS1-2/Neo Geo. 16 bit rules.
"444 MHZ"

No...
No...
That's not true...
That's impossible!
No!

...There is no way that it can only go to 444 MHZ without causing battery/heat issues.
That must be a limit for PS Mobile games...
"People cannot change the past. All we can do is to accept our own actions.
If you still wish to be burdened by your sins, let it show in your future actions.
It is your choice how to perceive something that has already happened."
RDJ

Post by RDJ »

GeminiContractor wrote:
"444 MHZ"

No...
No...
That's not true...
That's impossible!
No!
I couldn't belive that when Yifanlu twitted it, too.

I mean, come on... all that multi-tasking, online capabilities and those graphics with 300MHz? You've gotta be fu**ing kidding me! :lol: Even the shi**iest phones reach at least 1GHz and you can't even run Angry Birds or sh** like that at 60 FPS.

But... well, "developers" have spoken so I assume that the information is correct and the only one who has no fu**ing idea about how the Vita can do such things with that clock is me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
d@rk51d3

Post by d@rk51d3 »

GeminiContractor wrote:
"444 MHZ"

No...
No...
That's not true...
That's impossible!
No!
Search your feelings.
You know it to be true......

8-)
GeminiContractor

Post by GeminiContractor »

RDJ wrote:I couldn't belive that when Yifanlu twitted it, too.

I mean, come on... all that multi-tasking, online capabilities and those graphics with 300MHz? You've gotta be fu**ing kidding me! :lol: Even the shi**iest phones reach at least 1GHz and you can't even run Angry Birds or sh** like that at 60 FPS.

But... well, "developers" have spoken so I assume that the information is correct and the only one who has no fu**ing idea about how the Vita can do such things with that clock is me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Yeah, all of the jargon with hardware confuses me, so I end up thinking that they are trying to say that 1+1=0 when they say things like "It's running at the same speed that the PSP ran at!".
d@rk51d3 wrote:Search your feelings.
You know it to be true......

8-)
Nooooo...!
Nooo...!
"People cannot change the past. All we can do is to accept our own actions.
If you still wish to be burdened by your sins, let it show in your future actions.
It is your choice how to perceive something that has already happened."

Return to “Programming and Security”