Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
DrROBschiz

Re: Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Post by DrROBschiz »

If anything this will breath new life into the system and likely make it my go to legacy and fan game hub

I hope we DO have a way for the hacks to exist next to PSN access so that I can still buy new games as they come out
Advertising
samsara

Post by samsara »

Download trick still works, although there are limitations(restrictions) on when it does (hint, auto-update). As far as I know, it worked for me yesterday and I'm on 3.50.
Advertising
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

MooMooMan wrote:Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?
No, it isn't. Firmware 3.52 is.
Sony makes every effort to choke Vita any time it shows signs of life in the West, and they don't even need to use piracy excuse for doing that.
Besides, any westerner interested in (a very few) Vita titles worth pirating has already bought them (years ago) or played/pirated multiplatform titles on other systems.
The Japanese may have some real lost sales if Vita piracy happens in the near future, but since almost none of Japanese titles make it over here in the first place (let alone uncensored), it makes no difference to the rest of the world. Vita, being "legacy platform" (they explicitly said "platform", not "model" or whatever that damage control attempt implied) is all but officially dead in the West already anyway. It's a beautiful device with a lot of unused potential, and homebrew is the way to go regardless of whether it enables piracy or not. At least for those staying on firmware 3.51 (would be nicer if it was 3.55 though) and below.

Edit: it would be even nicer it was "Revitalise" instead of "Rejuvenate", but we can't have too many nice things at once.
Kyouma

Post by Kyouma »

Cyber wrote:
Sony makes every effort to choke Vita any time it shows signs of life in the West, and they don't even need to use piracy excuse for doing that.
Besides, any westerner interested in (a very few) Vita titles worth pirating has already bought them (years ago) or played/pirated multiplatform titles on other systems.
The Japanese may have some real lost sales if Vita piracy happens in the near future, but since almost none of Japanese titles make it over here in the first place (let alone uncensored), it makes no difference to the rest of the world. Vita, being "legacy platform" (they explicitly said "platform", not "model" or whatever that damage control attempt implied) is all but officially dead in the West already anyway. It's a beautiful device with a lot of unused potential, and homebrew is the way to go regardless of whether it enables piracy or not. At least for those staying on firmware 3.51 (would be nicer if it was 3.55 though) and below.

Edit: it would be even nicer it was "Revitalise" instead of "Rejuvenate", but we can't have too many nice things at once.
I guess Rivatalise would be a bit too much of a 'punny' name.

I agree that the Vita had both a slow start that's still ongoing and a lack of attention from sony. It's a great platform with some wonderful specs, but nobody really seems to care. From my experience the vita has three types of games:

Remakes, indie stuff and RPGs. I'm glad I'm interested in RPGs, but even then a lot of them don't make it to the west as you said. Unfortunately most playtime I had with the vita was using ePSP stuff and if I'm totally honest I could've done all of that in the haydays of the PSP.

OFW 3.52 I believe is not the end though. It might disable this hack, but I'm fairly certain there is a way into the kernel floating around. It might take a year or two to surface, but we waited long enough for this hack to be released too.

However, it does ponder the question. Obviously Sony has had less success thus far with the Vita compared to the PSP. Are they going to release another handheld in the future or give it up entirely?
RDJ

Post by RDJ »

Cyber wrote:

This man speaks the TRUTH.

In fact, the only place where having a Vita makes sense (Japan) is the the less prone to pirate games so yeah, feel free to pirate everything you want here because basically is the only thing $ony deserves :lol: .
reprep

Post by reprep »

Well, Vita failed (i am not saying it will fail, it already failed) without piracy. Also, i am really amazed at people asking for piracy. There are only a handful of good games on Vita and they are mostly super cheap as cartridges. So there is no need for piracy. But thanks to rejuvenate vita might be a super emulation machine and this aspect will make the Vita live imho.
Kyouma

Post by Kyouma »

reprep wrote:Well, Vita failed (i am not saying it will fail, it already failed) without piracy. Also, i am really amazed at people asking for piracy. There are only a handful of good games on Vita and they are mostly super cheap as cartridges. So there is no need for piracy. But thanks to rejuvenate vita might be a super emulation machine and this aspect will make the Vita live imho.
Agreed. I think the only handheld that is more powerful specwise would be the Nvidea Shield, but I could be mistaken. Having the entire emulator library from the PSP + more would definitely be a good thing. For now, I would suggest that somebody gets in contact with the folks from Deadalusx64 to port it over.

It's of course hard to estimate what it will be able to do, but I'm sure lots of other things will be able to run. I would be personally interested in seeing good MsDos and Nintendo DS emulators. But in theory people could also get to work on porting some open source versions of famous games to the Vita as homebrew. I think OpenRA, OpenTTD, OpenRCT and others would be a good incentive. There's a list of such games here: http://osgameclones.com/
Melon Bread

Post by Melon Bread »

Call me a pirate, but I would l just like to see some translations projects. :?
konit_oo

Post by konit_oo »

My friend, Vita is dead and it's because of Sony and their policy to release one or just two AAA games for that console a year. It's unserious, isn't it? Actually, in my opinion, the only thing which could probably save vita as a console, as a product which people to buy is the piracy. As I see it, a probable start of a hacking scene may boost the sales of the platform because people would know that there are much more things to do on it and that the whole thing will get much more affordable. Don't get me wrong, piracy is illegal, bad and so on but in terms of the lifespan of Vita it may be beneficial, as it was with DS, PSP etc, agree that after those consoles were hacked, nothing negative happened with them even the reverse - they had their great time. So, the only one to blame is Sony and their strategy not to put effort and to wait for bucks. Excuse me, but they have turned PSV into a Atari device, the most widespread game style is the pixelised retro one, which we know from old gaming stations. Of course, I've nothing against this but when sb. talks about NEXT GEN, he/she or they should bring it and maintain it, not to step back for decades. However, I like my Vita and I had it from day one and I also use it often but for 3 or 4 years of existance we to have 5-6 big titles seems absolutely abnormal and I'm super disappointed of Sony this time. I think they need new managers or sth, because those things can't just go on that way. So... don't blame the hackers, they do what they do for people and in the particular situation Sony is the biggest enemy of their own products until sth is changed. ;)
P.S. A super short revision - > EA Sports started to cut off functions of FIfa and from year to year it's getting worse, we still don't have and won't ever have a NBA game, COD was a fail, Mortal combat got it's online capabilities shut down, alongside with this you're expected to pay 25 pounds/euro/dollars(i guess) for a Angry Birds Trilogy and generally for quad core CPU you get 2D games. Really idk whether to cry or laugh :D :D :D :D :D
Stiffeno

Post by Stiffeno »

Vita sales would go way up if it had the following games:

Grand Theft Auto (port or otherwise)
Gran Turismo
Fight Night

Just 3 games that come to mind that would boost Vita sales!

Edit: If I walked into my local EBGames store and seen Fight Night or even GTA sitting in the Vita section, even if it cost 100 Aussie bux! I would buy it ON THE SPOT!

Return to “Programming and Security”