Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Rejuvenate running a PS2 Emulator

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
Mooliecool

Rejuvenate running a PS2 Emulator

Post by Mooliecool »

Now I know this is pretty much impossible... or is it, on yifan's blog he says the vita has 512MB Main Memory, 128MB Video RAM, CPU running at 1GHZ and GPU 200MHZ. So how about we look at the PS2's specs. The CPU runs at 300 MHZ, 32 MB of Memory, GPU at 150MHZ. So does that mean PS2 is actually possible?
Advertising
Vita FAT 3.50 EU 3G/WIFI PHP ARK-2 APE TN-V11
Vita Slim 3.36 HK WIFI OFW
[Traded]TV 3.15 TN-X Patched
PSP 3000 4G 6.20 PRO B8
link2sai

Re: Rejuvenate running a PS2 Emulator

Post by link2sai »

Dude I have gaming PC that run the latest games I mean GTA V without a glitch or a crash and iv got emulators(Dolphin and PCSX2) and there far from perfect even for my machine don't get me wrong it could work but it will take years and i remember someone saying the games needs to be converted or something in order play on the Vita
Advertising
PS3 Slim 3004 320GB-OFW
PSP 2000 96GB-6.60 ME-2.3
PS Vita 1104 3G/Wi-Fi 16GB-3.18 OFW(TN-V ,WebKit,PSM n Unity & TN-X)
PC:CPU-i5 3470 GPU-R9 290X RAM-GSKILL 2133 2x(4GB)1600MHz
HDD-500GB & 3TB
GeminiContractor

Post by GeminiContractor »

I have no idea who said it first or if there is a lot of validity to it, but, supposedly, emulators need to have 10x the hardware power of the console that is being emulated to run at a decent speed.

PS Vita:

Code: Select all

512MB RAM
128MB VRAM
<2GHz (normal) 2GHz (max) Quad-core CPU
200MHz GPU
[/b]

PS2:

32MB RDRAM
4MB eDRAM
299MHz CPU
147.456MHz GPU
[/b]

PS3:

256MB XDR DRAM
256MB GDDR3
3.2GHz CPU
500MHz GPU (I think)
[/b]

Also, the required hardware for PCSX2 (PC PS2 emulator):

Minimum

CPU that supports SSE2 (Pentium 4 and up, Athlon 64 and up)
GPU that supports Pixel Shaders 2.0
512MB RAM
[/b]

Recommended

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2GHz or better
GPU: 8600 GT or better
1GB RAM
[/b]

So, while I will not say that it is impossible (since I am not a programmer, and I do not know much about hardware), from what I see, I do not think that there will be a PS2 emulator on the PS Vita.

Also, while it did not run for too long before freezing, it may be worth mentioning that, when I tried running Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on my PS3 Slim (the PS3 without the PS2 hardware inside of it), it ran at a decent frame rate (may have been 30 FPS)
"People cannot change the past. All we can do is to accept our own actions.
If you still wish to be burdened by your sins, let it show in your future actions.
It is your choice how to perceive something that has already happened."
cryyifei

Post by cryyifei »

Why don't you directly ask Yifanlu? :)
psp_revival

Post by psp_revival »

PS2 on Vita hardware @ < 10fps. Cell is heck.

Other than a technical exercise.

No thanks.
PsP Go 6.61 - 2.3 LME
Vita TV 3.01 TN
PlayStation TV 3.60 HENkaku
PlayStation TV 3.63 ps+ Japan - USA
RPi2 Lakka
GhettoBeta59

Post by GhettoBeta59 »

The developer of the PS2 emulator "Purei (Play!)" could possibly port it to the Vita. He ported it to Android already and I don't know if it would be to much work or not to port it to a whole new platform. Maybe if someone can contact him about it then maybe he will think about doing it.

His contact info is on this page: http://purei.org/about.php
garrlker

Post by garrlker »

Well the best case would be if the Vita is running at 2ghz on each core and the programmer managed to utilize 3 cores.
One for cpu, one for gpu, and one for misc,I/O,etc.
Even with that I'm only seeing a PS2 emu running at 10fps at most, good enough for a proof of concept, but not playable.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

garrlker wrote:Well the best case would be if the Vita is running at 2ghz on each core and the programmer managed to utilize 3 cores.
One for cpu, one for gpu, and one for misc,I/O,etc.
Even with that I'm only seeing a PS2 emu running at 10fps at most, good enough for a proof of concept, but not playable.
Lets not forget that the system would melt with the heat generated, And if it does manage to survive then the battery would drain in like 5 minutes.

Anywhoo there is a good set of posts by m0skit0 around the forums somewhere that explain why PS2 emulation on the Vita simply will not happen, a PoC is possible sure but IMHO it will run worse than the PSP DS emu.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Rauliki

Post by Rauliki »

I think that emulatin Dreamcast is easier todoand possible. There isan emulator for Android which actually runs games.
SaltySticks

Post by SaltySticks »

Please read up a bit before saying anything stupid.

You are comparing x86(Computer) to ARM(Portable devices such as phones and the Ps Vita)
There is no way in heck you will get anything like the ps2 emu since ARM processors are not strong enough. They are made to have a very low voltage and power input, and low temperatures. Since ARM code is a lot different to x86, most (if not all) CPU instruction bits are not available on ARM meaning that software like this will never run(Like 2 fps maybe? ). Specs of the Ps Vita look beefy, but at this given moment in time, power wise, they are comparable to something like a mid 2004 gaming rig(I may be wrong here)

On the other hand, I would love to have a 'VNC Like' client to share desktop screens, or even the nvidia thing for game screen sharing ^^

Return to “Programming and Security”