Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Can't install Patapon VHBL Exploit

VHBL (Vita Half Byte Loader) is an open source tool to load PSP homebrews on the Playstation Vita.
VHBL can be downloaded at http://wololo.net/vhbl
sonofskywalker3

Can't install Patapon VHBL Exploit

Post by sonofskywalker3 »

I'm sure it's just something stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out what i'm doing wrong. I am in IT professionally, so I know computers, and I have done the Uno, Gladiator Begins, Urbanix and Monster Hunter exploits before, so I'm familiar with how exploits work and the tools they use, but I'm stumped. I read the tutorial post, watched The Zett's video, and still can't get anything but a red screen.

I downloaded the exploit version 3.2 and extracted the patapon 2 and vhbl save folders to my save directory on the computer. I moved the path.txt to my working directory. i changed the path.txt to the gameid of my base game (tried uno and locoroco midnight carnival demo per suggestions on the forum) and ran fake_np -b UNO.PBP VHBL.ISO EBOOT.PBP and got a successful EBOOT.PBP output. I copied that EBOOT.PBP to my Patapon save directory. I copied the savedata from the computer to my Vita with QCMA. I run patapon 2, it shows the loading messages, then I get a red screen and it drops to the homescreen. I even formatted my vita memory card and copied the games back over to the vita from my computer. Nothing works. I'm going to bed now, because I have to work in a few hours, but I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Advertising
xfullmetal17

Re: Can't install Patapon VHBL Exploit

Post by xfullmetal17 »

Random stupid question, but you do have the basegame installed that you're trying to use, right? Also double-check you're using the correct GameID for your region, I've seen a few cases come up where the wrong region's ID was used.
Also copy the VHBL folder to your Vita if you haven't.

Lastly, you say you "moved" the PATH.TXT file to your pwd... Did you remember to move it back to the Patapon 2 save folder after changing the GameID? That's how the exploit knows what folder to change on your Vita.
Advertising
Always follow *all* steps of the friendly tutorial. They aren't there just as 'guidelines.'
sonofskywalker3

Re: Can't install Patapon VHBL Exploit

Post by sonofskywalker3 »

Thank you so much. I knew it would be something stupid. Between my wife and kids, and whatever was on the TV, I missed fact that path.txt stays in the exploit directory. He said move the package and vhbl.iso right after he saved the path.txt file in the video, and i thought i had to move the path.txt file because the fake_np needed it for something... I'll do it right this time and see what happens. thanks.

Edit - After running through the process again from the beginning, with the path.txt in the correct directory it worked great! thanks so much!!

Return to “Vita Half Byte Loader”