Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Phantasy Star Online 2: read, you should know!

Discuss official PS Vita games here
wolframio

Phantasy Star Online 2: read, you should know!

Post by wolframio »

UPDATE: THE GAME IS OUT IN THE JP PSN, ITS FREE, YOU NEED ABOUT 5 GB TO DOWNLOAD IT, FOR A GAMEPLAY WATCH THE VIDEO ON THE LINK BELOW:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am_dieCJ2ms
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFSxQdXT0Y

LETS HOPE THEY BRING IT OUTSIDE JAPAN VERY SOON!

Because i think is gonna be a different type of big hit on the Vita, i open several topics about this game (3?) posting a lot info about it... some forum users fill those topics with questions that has been alredy answered in the others ones, so now i gonna try to clear up all the things about this game!

[ ] Warning: my English is very poor, i am from Chile so use your brain to read the post xD [ ]

Phantasy Star Online. i never hear about it... what is it?!

Phantasy Star Online ( ファンタシースターオンライン Fantashī sutā Onrain ?) is a series of online multiplayer action RPG video games released by Sega. It is a subset of Sega's Phantasy Star series of games that began in 1987.
The PSO series began with the release of Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast in 2000.

How many are out there?

PSO was followed in 2001 by Phantasy Star Online ver. 2, also initially released for the Dreamcast and later ported to Microsoft Windows. In 2002, Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II was released for the Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft Xbox. Subsequently, Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution was released for the GameCube in 2003, using gameplay mechanics that were different from the preceding titles. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, a port of the Xbox version of Episode I & II with the addition of a new Episode IV, was released for Microsoft Windows in 2004 through digital distribution.

Is there any previus Portable version of PSO?[

Phantasy Star Portable, Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Worldwide) and Phantasy Star Portable Infinity (only realsed in Japan)... all those are for the Sony PSP, each one with a Internet Multiplayer (most PSP just have Adhoc) and support Adhoc too...

Gameplay style:

With the exception of Episode III, the PSO games are hack and slash role-playing games in which the player slays monsters, levels up, buys new equipment, etc. The PSO games differ from earlier Phantasy Star titles by offering a real-time – rather than turn-based – approach to combat, seamlessly integrating this with exploration and plot developments.

Phantasy Star Online 2:

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a video game in the Phantasy Star series, published by Sega and released for Microsoft Windows on July 4, 2012. It is scheduled for release on iOS and Android in late 2012 and PlayStation Vita in 2013. It is currently released in Japan, with North American release scheduled for "early 2013".

PC and Vita Versions???!!!!

Llets say that the PC version is the Full game and the Vita version is "almost" the same, why i say "almost"... PC are designed to be a big non mobile device (yes i am talking about Notebooks too), they need good internet lines and good power sources to work fine, so we can say PC version run on a Stable Plataform and is the Big Brother... in the others hand, the Vita version have some little diferencies: the monster in the map are less that the PC version and Maybe missions/quests are more short, also the Game Interface is more "simple/easy to use", you must be thinking "!OH *** WE ARE BEING PUNISHED AGAIN GETTING ONLY THE HALF PART OF THE GAME!", not really, this have to be done in that way because Vita was designed to be a very mobile device, the best internet line that can have is a WiFi network and most part of the time runs on battery, so the logic say you have less time to play on the Vita than on the PC, this dont mean that the Vita version is like a incomplete PC game.

More details:
PSO2 Vita differences compared to PSO2 PC:

Less enemies at same time and fewer emergency missions
Fewer emergency trials
Maps will be smaller to allow for quicker completion
PSE Burst will last longer on Vita
Differences will also apply to PC players if playing in a Vita block

PSO2 Vita will include offline character creation
Playstation mascots Toro and Kuro will give out client orders on Vita

iOS and Android version... mmm...

I dont have to much info about this, i read somewhere they will like more an apps to manage your accounts/items/chars/stats or a really riped off version of the Game.

!!!Crossplay Multiplataform Multi Player!!!

Heres come the funny part!... we have clear that this game is a Multiplayer Action RPG, but there a thing that feels so GOOD! the PC and Vita players can play Online together! now you gonna think "O_o¿ THATS NICE, BUT THERE ARE DIFERENCIES BETWEEN EACH VERSIONS, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE", well the developers handle this too well, there will be PC side and Vita side, PC have the Big side and the Vita will be the Small side... "TWO SIDES? THEY PLAY TOGETHER?"... Yes! the PC side can "Come to play" to the Vita side, but they must play using the Vita rules(less monsters on map and more short missions/quest), this is like a Vita mode for the PC game.

UPDATE: Now i got the things more clear... There are 2 kinds of blocks, the big ones and the small ones, PC can play in Both, Vita can only play in the small ones.

Wow! all is so nice, how much i have pay to play???
Sega on Why Phantasy Star Online 2 Is Free To Play
In March, Sega announced that their upcoming MMORPG, Phantasy Star Online 2 will be smart phone compatible and free to play. In a recent interview with Weekly Famitsu, Phantasy Star series producer, Satoshi Sakai, talked about Sega's somewhat ballsy decision.

Apparently, the decision to make Phantasy Star Online 2 free to play came about very early in the game's production. With the increase of free to play online social games for smart phones, the developers were worried that the public perception of online games was becoming distorted. Most free to play online games are made so that the game's full potential cannot be tapped without some monetary investment. The developers at Sega found this trend of game development that favored players who would/could pay over players who wouldn't/couldn't to be troubling and unfavorable to the game market at a whole. Said Sakai, "By allowing a well made game like PSO to be accessible more people, we felt that we had a chance to teach people that 'This is what online RPGs are supposed to be like.'".

While Phantasy Star Online 2 does have some features that can be bought with money, the developers have restricted these to minor, non-essential areas, like upgrades for players' individual rooms, increased storage space, or trading features. "There is nothing that requires payment that will take away from the intrinsic game experience if they are not purchased." Sakai explained.

Sega has always been a game developer that mixes up the pot, and while not every attempt has been successful (some, like the Dreamcast, being ahead of their time), more often than not, they manage to leave their mark. With Phantasy Star Online 2, Sega is seeking to change the online game market itself. "We are seeking to create a business model that functions while still allowing PSO2 to remain as much of an enjoyable experience as possible." Sakai spoke, reflecting on the online gaming market. "I honestly think that Sega is the only maker that is willing to go this far. Even if we fail, if we can get people to say 'They were 5 years ahead of their time' then I'll have no regrets. I believe that there's meaning in the challenge itself."
There will be a Retail/Cadtrige payed version, this version will come with some bonus like Items, Costumes, etc.
PSO2 Vita's Special Package Clarifications:

Players can only choose TWO of the 8 default costumes from PSP2
Bonus mag device produces an angel that represents Emilia
Little Wing stickers can be placed on character's body to replace default Arks logo
Music disc allows players to listen to intro and ending themes from PSP in jukebox

Nice! Nice!! Nice!!!, i have some space to spare, so when the game comes in my country i gonna download it ASAP!

Heres another surprise!! the Vita version need at least 5 GB of Free space on your Memory Card to be installed, this is just the starting point, you need more space for future updates and DLC/add-ons.

PSO2 SEE IN ACTION!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX8zLSFhI0Q --> Vita Gameplay 1 at TGS 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-L2_cKMRw --> Vita and PC Multiplayer Crossplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsh8RseZx5Q --> Vita Opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkuwP7HyR-E --> PC Gameplay Force solo VS Snow banshee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3meId66-yw#! --> PSO2 Trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ivPbz9qOoU --> Vita game should look like this.

BE SURE TO CHECK MORE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE!
Advertising
Last edited by wolframio on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
GonnaGetPSVita

Re: Phantasy Star Online 2: read, you should know!

Post by GonnaGetPSVita »

>_> i'm playing it on PC.
i hope they allow me buy Ark Cash using PSN wallet when it's released for PSVita.
Advertising
- PSVita 3G / 32GB
- PSVita Wifi / 64GB
- Wacom Cintiq 13HD
- AKG K701
3rdroyd

Post by 3rdroyd »

Thanks great info there, i will be looking for this game :)
Any thoughts about why 5gb of space?

E:The physical copy will need the 5gb for installing?
dboyz

Post by dboyz »

3rdroyd wrote:Thanks great info there, i will be looking for this game :)

look at d graphic & d massive open world (at least for a handheld device)
we forgive but we never forget
wolframio

Post by wolframio »

3rdroyd wrote:Thanks great info there, i will be looking for this game :)

Thanks, its take me like 3 hrs. to write the post xDD...

about the size is a good think because most of the actual vita games are limited to 3 o 4 GB (Call of duty was designed to fit in a 4 GB MC, the game could be better when you use more space), i think if there gonna be a cartridge version, the base of the game will be there and you just need space for the updates, also i hope the cartridge have more space than 4 GB because Vita need more longer a heavy sized Games/big space cartridge...

Also previous Phantasy Star Online Games for the PSP were heavy too.
Syc

Post by Syc »

Thanks for the info thread. I'm not too familiar with vita game sizes but 5gb does seem like a lot for the base game alone especially considering how far along compression for files has come. Even with the graphics and open world I would assume with the right file compression it could be made smaller but maybe it needs to stream files seamlessly for use of online. Either way, thanks for the details. Been a pso fan since we paid on Dc and have been eagerly looking forward to this one.
wolframio

Post by wolframio »

Syc wrote:Thanks for the info thread. I'm not too familiar with vita game sizes but 5gb does seem like a lot for the base game alone especially considering how far along compression for files has come. Even with the graphics and open world I would assume with the right file compression it could be made smaller but maybe it needs to stream files seamlessly for use of online. Either way, thanks for the details. Been a pso fan since we paid on Dc and have been eagerly looking forward to this one.
yes, compression is the key, however they are still on what they call it "Debugging", maybe they can compress it more in the future or the game is alredy compressed, take in mind all modern games use a lot space like pc games are using at least 8 GB disk space and some big android games are using 1 or 2 GB from sdcard.
fatman01923

Post by fatman01923 »

Wow thank you so much for this thread. The info is concise and specific, "Tiki-taka" post (Hope I used Chilean slang correctly)! I will be getting the retail package most definitely, sorry but 5gb + 1-5 more gb in updates(GUESSING) in the years it is being supported is too much space on these expensive cards. If the price goes down in the future on memory cards like a 40 % drop then I could see myself migrating to play purely digital. This game will be an instant hit and could be an inspiration to other games in the same genre. :D
wolframio

Post by wolframio »

fatman01923 wrote:Wow thank you so much for this thread. The info is concise and specific, "Tiki-taka" post (Hope I used Chilean slang correctly)! I will be getting the retail package most definitely, sorry but 5gb + 1-5 more gb in updates(GUESSING) in the years it is being supported is too much space on these expensive cards. If the price goes down in the future on memory cards like a 40 % drop then I could see myself migrating to play purely digital. This game will be an instant hit and could be an inspiration to other games in the same genre. :D
Wow! long time that i dont hear that (tiki-taka), yep i agree Vita MC are too overpriced, but as you say i think theres gonna be a big price drop in the future.
DrROBschiz

Post by DrROBschiz »

It should be important to note that Sega has yet to confirm that they are localizing the Vita version for western release

Right now only the PC version is confirmed

I really hope they get on top of this though. Vita version sounds awesome.

Return to “Games”