Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Read This First: Learning How to Program

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Re: Read This First: Learning How to Program

Post by asgard20032 »

Before actually resolving bug and adding new feature, we need to be able to do what I described. If you can't even make a something as simple as a sorting algorithm, how would you resolve logical bug in a nested loop? If you have difficult making a swap function using pointer, how would you correct bug related to pointer? I never said to only do exercise, I just say that when starting out, when we learn new feature like loop or if...else and other, we should practice them. But once we got it, yeah, I agree that examining the source code and adding new feature of other people is a good thing to learn more. Also, yeah, I don't like forced exercise, this was just example of exercise. People can do whatever they want, but the more important, is to practice a little before moving on other feature, then once we got all the basic of the language, and practiced a little of all the feature by doing some exercise/test, then after its time to move on and try to examine bug in other people source, adding new feature, try to make our own software...

The exercise I proposed in the thread I made is only proposal of exercise, I force no one to do it.
Advertising
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

asgard20032 wrote:Before actually resolving bug and adding new feature, we need to be able to do what I described. If you can't even make a something as simple as a sorting algorithm, how would you resolve logical bug in a nested loop? If you have difficult making a swap function using pointer, how would you correct bug related to pointer?
I never said to start with bug fixing.
Xian Nox wrote:Studying other programs (examining the source code, modifying it, adding new features, removing bugs, reversing) is what I personally found more interesting than doing exercises like the ones you described, because I could see what my progress is, and there is a sense of achievement as well.
Understanding what's going on is the first part.
asgard20032 wrote:I never said to only do exercise, I just say that when starting out, when we learn new feature like loop or if...else and other, we should practice them. But once we got it, yeah, I agree that examining the source code and adding new feature of other people is a good thing to learn more. Also, yeah, I don't like forced exercise, this was just example of exercise. People can do whatever they want, but the more important, is to practice a little before moving on other feature, then once we got all the basic of the language, and practiced a little of all the feature by doing some exercise/test, then after its time to move on and try to examine bug in other people source, adding new feature, try to make our own software...
My point was, exercises are often either far from actual problems, or the person doing them can't link them to actual problems because they have never encountered them.
Advertising
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Xian Nox wrote:exercises are often either far from actual problems, or the person doing them can't link them to actual problems because they have never encountered them
This is not always true. I've been programming for about 15 years now, and I can assure you I try to propose exercises that are based on what you will face in real world.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

m0skit0 wrote:
Xian Nox wrote:exercises are often either far from actual problems, or the person doing them can't link them to actual problems because they have never encountered them
This is not always true. I've been programming for about 15 years now, and I can assure you I try to propose exercises that are based on what you will face in real world.
That's you, not most of the teachers at schools/universities.
Tikiko99

Post by Tikiko99 »

Great tutorial ultima ;) helped me alot :)
My Systems:

PSP GO OFW 6.60
PS Vita PCH-1004 : 3.60
PS Vita PCH-1101 : 1.50

PS3 OFW 4.25(dead)
0xB16B00B5

Post by 0xB16B00B5 »

I'm trying to get better at C. Can anyone point me toward a good place to exercise?
I can't learn anything unless I do hands-on work.. I've tried pretty much everything.

By the way, should I update Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04? I heard it installs unnecessary clutter, I dislike a waste of space. I'm greedy on the megabytes.
frostegater
Guru

Post by frostegater »

ultimakillz wrote: You should learn to program on the PC before learning how to program on the PSP.
hehe... strange, but I learn programming in PSP before PC and C is my first language.
Our hearts will beating on 333MHz 'till we die
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

0xB16B00B5 wrote:I'm trying to get better at C. Can anyone point me toward a good place to exercise?
I can't learn anything unless I do hands-on work.. I've tried pretty much everything.
Check this. Even if you feel like you already know this, try at least to make the proposed exercises. Most people find out they don't know as much as they think ;)
0xB16B00B5 wrote:should I update Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04?
I don't use Ubuntu personally, but I'm using 12.04 with GNOME 3 at work and I'm happy with it. I don't care about disk space, sorry.
Frostegater wrote:strange, but I learn programming in PSP before PC and C is my first language
Then your code will probably look horrible :mrgreen:
frostegater
Guru

Post by frostegater »

m0skit0 wrote:
Frostegater wrote:strange, but I learn programming in PSP before PC and C is my first language
Then your code will probably look horrible :mrgreen:
When I see code who I write some time ago I also think what its really horrible. I hope that this is a sign of evolution. :lol:
Our hearts will beating on 333MHz 'till we die
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

It is indeed ;)

Return to “Programming and Security”