Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] PSPVice 3.2 (C64 emulator)

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
rsn8887

Re: [RELEASE] PSPVice 3.2 (C64 emulator)

Post by rsn8887 »

Some more thoughts on this version:

- Sam's Journey original rom loads fine (!). This didn't work on version 2.
- However, even for Vice version 2, the developers of Sam's Journey recently published an updated rom that uses a compatible module format for the C64-Mini. This version works fine on the old vice 2 psp also. It doesn't support saves, but the emulator has save states.
- The new default palette in Vice 3.2 is different, much worse. In version 2, the hard-coded default was pepto-pal, which is nice and saturated (deep red, deep blue etc.). Now the palette is washed out, too bright, almost looks like highlighter colors (neon yellow etc.). The palette cannot be changed in the psp port. There are several .vpl palette files in the C64 folder, but they are never loaded in.
- Otherwise it ran everything I threw at it.

I will use the older version for now because of the palette issue, but I am very happy that a new version exists now. Once I get the sdk setup again, I might be able to make some contributions (palette change, sid model selection etc.). The menu system seems very easy to understand and flexible, so adding many more options should not be a problem.
Advertising
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

To improve this emulator further, I added the palette option and the sound chip model option. I think it looks much better with the palette set to pepto-pal. Modern games like Sam's Journey that are designed for the newer SID chip sound better with the chip model set to 8580 and sound engine set to ReSID.

I bumped the version number to 3.2.4 to indicate the changes.

Download binary and source code:
https://github.com/rsn8887/pspvice/releases/latest

All the changes I made to DelayedQuasar's release are contained in this single commit on Github:
https://github.com/rsn8887/pspvice/comm ... f41e6e6a2c

Changelog:

- add SID model option with two choices: 6581, and 8580.
- add palette option with three choices: none (vice palette), pepto-pal, and colodore.

Advertising
Oldvic

Post by Oldvic »

rsn8887 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am To improve this emulator further, I added the palette option and the sound chip model option. I think it looks much better with the palette set to pepto-pal. Modern games like Sam's Journey that are designed for the newer SID chip sound better with the chip model set to 8580 and sound engine set to ReSID.

I bumped the version number to 3.2.4 to indicate the changes.

Download binary and source code:
https://github.com/rsn8887/pspvice/releases/latest

All the changes I made to DelayedQuasar's release are contained in this single commit on Github:
https://github.com/rsn8887/pspvice/comm ... f41e6e6a2c

Changelog:

- add SID model option with two choices: 6581, and 8580.
- add palette option with three choices: none (vice palette), pepto-pal, and colodore.

Firstly, thanks for your work on this rsn8887 and DelayedQuasar. rsn8887, I have found a bug with your palette option. When you first run the emulator, it does indeed default correctly to the 'colodore' palette, but if you change any other option, when the 'options.ini' file is written it will default to the awful bright 'vice' palette. So the next time you run the emulator, it will show 'none' as the palette option and the 'options.ini' will show 'Palette=0' instead of 'Palette=2'. I'm using your 'v3.2.5' release. Thanks for your time.
Oldvic

Post by Oldvic »

Rsn doesn't seem to be about so I stuck the SDK back on and had a quick look. I just did a quick 2 minute fix so at least the 'Colodore' palette saves properly (as this one looks great on the PSP screen thanks to Rsn's fixed version of it) as it was a bit of a pain having to keep reselecting it every time I started Vice. I've attached the Eboot, just drop it into your 'Vice' folder and overwrite the other. Version number will show '3.2.5r2':

Vice 3.2.5r2 EBOOT
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Weird I am pretty sure I tested this and options saving etc. and it worked for me. Anyways, cool thanks, can you make a PR with your code changes in my GitHub repo maybe? Then I can incorporate your fix.
sharklodon

Post by sharklodon »

Hi,
I'm testing releases from v3.2.3 to v3.2.5 on my PSP FAT with 6.61 ME-2.3 custom firmware and it doesn't run. It shows "game could not be launched" screen with error code 800200D9. Any idea? Do you know if it runs with another firmware?
Many thanks,
Black PS4 FAT | v7.50 (in Use)
Black PS3 FAT | v4.86 (in Use)
Black PSP E-1004 | v6.61 ME-2.3 CFW (in Use)
Silver PS2 FAT w/HDD (in Use)
Gray PS1 (in Use)
Dazman

Post by Dazman »

Only just found this. I love the the menu for this emulator, Can you please make a VIC 20 version.
Jryvn

Post by Jryvn »

There is a bug that still persists. If I try to go into the System>Peripherals>Drive 8 option and try to load a disk that has an empty directory (i.e. a blank disk or a data disk) the psp crashes.
Oldvic

Post by Oldvic »

rsn8887 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:01 pm Weird I am pretty sure I tested this and options saving etc. and it worked for me. Anyways, cool thanks, can you make a PR with your code changes in my GitHub repo maybe? Then I can incorporate your fix.
Sorry about the delay in replying rsn. It's the first time I've logged in a year. As shortly after I posted the Eboot, we went into a national lockdown and I got distracted by other things. I did actually fix it properly a few days later so that all 3 palettes saved correctly rather than just the 'Internal' and 'Colodore' palettes. I've pulled the Eboot off my memory card and linked it below. The source I've got for 3.2.5 is kind of half done and doesn't compile at the moment as I went back to it last summer and started fixing some bugs and making some new additions. I abandoned it shortly after when I realised that Vice 2.x.x actually works a lot better on the PSP. It is faster, has less input lag and also works on Phat PSP's. For instance, it's impossible to run Cauldron II on Vice 3.x.x without it glitching/slowing down, even at 333mhz. Whereas it will run at full speed on Vice 2.x.x. So I transferred what work I'd done thus far to Vice 2.x.x as you can see in some of the pics below. Unfortunately my PSP battery went pop when I was charging my PSP via the USB socket rather than the main charge socket. So I stopped working on it again. I've recently found an old Sony battery, so I'll sort out what I've done so far and release an updated Vice 2.x.x along with the source code. I used your routine for loading the palettes (as it works well and is very quick), but just did a new routine so they saved correctly. The SID modes I did slightly differently and I've added the 'digi boost' mode for the '8580' chip (which boosts the low volume on digital samples for the '8580' chip). It only works (and is only required) on the 'ReSid' engine. I've combined the 'SID Engine' and 'SID Model' and put them all under one option where you choose the combination you require (a total of 5 different sound modes) as shown in the pic below.
Link:
Vice 3.2.5r3 EBOOT
sharklodon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am Hi,
I'm testing releases from v3.2.3 to v3.2.5 on my PSP FAT with 6.61 ME-2.3 custom firmware and it doesn't run. It shows "game could not be launched" screen with error code 800200D9. Any idea? Do you know if it runs with another firmware?
Many thanks,
Vice 3.x.x doesn't work on the Phat PSP due to memory constraints. I'm going to release an updated Vice 2.x.x which will work on your Phat.
Jryvn wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:07 pm There is a bug that still persists. If I try to go into the System>Peripherals>Drive 8 option and try to load a disk that has an empty directory (i.e. a blank disk or a data disk) the psp crashes.
I've fixed this bug (see pic). I first noticed this bug when I tried to load 'Alice in Wonderland' (disk 2) and it completely crashed the PSP. It does it on Vice v2 and v3. It is do with a bug in the image contents to string with diskcontents_read and tapecontents_read. The title of the inserted disk/tape also doesn't get read which triggers another bug in that whatever file you select from the disk/tape directory, it will always load the file above it. This means you cannot select the last file on the disk/tape. Well, unless you manually do it in the C64 OS using 'LOAD"$",8', then typing the file-name. But you couldn't do it from the 'Drive 8' directory in the menu, which could be a real annoyance if the docs were the last file on the disk and you couldn't load them. This is fixed now, and the file you select in the disk/tape directory is the one that loads. Also, selecting the disk title just does a standard 'LOAD"*",8,1' load. 'Blocks free' on the disk is also displayed. Blank disks/tapes also mount fine and no longer crash the emulator. I've formatted blank disks in the emulator and used them as quest storage disks in 'Below the Root' and 'Alice in Wonderland' and they work just fine. I've fixed another bug in the system tab for the Cartridge, Drive 8, Tape browsers so that they now behave the same as the 'Game browser.' Whatever game you mount, it will remember you have that game mounted when you go back to mount something else from the directory, rather than just returning the selector bar to the top of the directory where the game is located. I fixed this because, say you had a 2 disk game, you would have to scroll from the top all the way down the current directory to get to disk 2 when it needed mounting. Now the selector bar will still be on Disk 1 when you open the 'Drive 8' browser. Same applies to the Tape and Cartridge browsers too.

Blank Disk (no crash):

Everyone's a Wally (disk title displayed correctly and you can now load the docs):

Current releases (no disk title, can't load docs as it actually loads the file above (the game itself) when you select them):

Another example (Fairlight):

Tape directory and loader now also work correctly (you can now load Exolon docs from the mounted tape, which was previously not possible due to them being the last file on the tape):

I've redone the screen modes and put them all under on option rather than having separate screen size and border options. I've also added a new mode, 'Scaled aspect (side borders)' (which is the new default). You can now see the loading lines, plus the game 'Beyond the Forbidden Forest' uses those side borders for targeting. Some demos too:

Use of side borders:

Added 16 selectable Colour Palettes ('Colodore' is the default) including a 'User' palette (if you want to make your own). I made one and I've added it to the list ('Oldvic'), for those that prefer a 'high colour' palette. If you want to make your own, just call it 'user.vpl' and add it to the 'C64' folder. (Thanks to rsn8887, I used his code to load the external palette files):

Added 5 Sound modes including 'ReSID 8580 + digi boost'. The 'ReSID 8580 + digi boost' mode corrects the low digital samples volume of the '8580' SID chip when using the 'ReSID' engine. Also added a SID Filters enabled/disabled option (some games sound better with filters enabled and some disabled. And it also depends on the SID engine used eg. Cauldron II sounds better using the 'ReSID' with filters disabled. Caren and the Tangled Tentacles sounds much better with filters enabled when using the 'ReSID' engine (specifically the 'ReSID 8580 + digi boost' option, but if using 'FastSID', sounds better with filters disabled. Lotus Turbo Esprit needs the ReSID engine selected for the race to start). Digital samples work best with the 'ReSID' engine and Filters 'enabled'. Also try try upping the CPU speed to '333mhz' for further improvement. The speech at the beginning of 'The Last V8' is a good example of this. It works best with the settings 'ReSID 6850' and '333mhz' as CPU speed.:

Moved the mini screen in the menu to the top right and also removed the top and bottom borders (whilst retaining aspect ratio) as it could obscure long file-names:

Improved Virtual Keyboard to make it easier to see on certain backgrounds It's more translucent now rather than transparent. Also, 'Sticky' keys (L-Shift, R-Shift, CTRL and C= are now highlighted in a clearer yellow).
Old keyboard:

Old Keyboard ('Sticky' keys):

New Keyboard:

New Keyboard ('Sticky' keys):

Added option to enable/disable Game Browser Screenshots (the first screenshot you capture of a game will be the one displayed in the 'Game Browser'):

I've added 'Warp Mode' control. 'Warp Mode' activates automatically when you load a game, and de-activates when the game has loaded, or at an intro screen. I've also fixed some bugs with 'Warp Mode'. It will now automatically disable after a save-state is loaded (if 'Warp Mode' is enabled eg. a game is loading when you load the save-state). I've also added code to disable it after a system reset. Plus, fixed a bug where 'Warp Mode' could stay enabled if you were in the middle of loading a game, then decide to load another one. Now the warp routine resets if you do this. I've made some other improvements too. Made Reset into 'Hard Reset' rather than ''Soft Reset', as a 'Soft Reset' wasn't enough to get you out of certain games and initialise the OS. 'Jonah Barrington's Squash' is an example of this. If you tried to reset during a match, the screen freezes. 'Hard reset' fixes this and only take about half a second longer to do. Fixed 'L' and 'R' keys depressing other keys when mapped and pressed. Automatically detach cartridge (crt) after loading disk or tape from image browser, as the cartridge would still boot otherwise. Made the Menu background a darker blue as I thought it was too bright.
TL;DR: I'll release an updated Vice 2.x.x soon.
Last edited by Oldvic on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bovirtual

Post by bovirtual »

Hi!!

I´ve installed on mi PSP 3000 the 3.2.5 version, with the 3.2.5r3 eboot mod, but i don´t see the changes you says in your post, for example, the new keyboard, the sid options or the new palets for de c64. Is possible that i need to install other eboot?

Thank you for your work!! It´s really incredible!

Return to “Emulators”