Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

What is the general opinion on having roms for games you own

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
gmdfunk

What is the general opinion on having roms for games you own

Post by gmdfunk »

I really would like to play earthbound, but I don't pirate things because I don't feel good about it. I do however have roms to play older games on my emulators, but I have physical copies of each of those games. Earthbound is available on the wii U eshop, but I don't have a Wii U, I kind of want to pay for a legit version on the eshop (download code from gamestop or something), and then play it via an emulator on my PSP/Vita. Opinions? is this any different than having a rom for a game you have a physical copy of? because I sleep fine doing that.
Advertising
TecXero

Re: What is the general opinion on having roms for games you

Post by TecXero »

gmdfunk wrote:I really would like to play earthbound, but I don't pirate things because I don't feel good about it. I do however have roms to play older games on my emulators, but I have physical copies of each of those games. Earthbound is available on the wii U eshop, but I don't have a Wii U, I kind of want to pay for a legit version on the eshop (download code from gamestop or something), and then play it via an emulator on my PSP/Vita. Opinions? is this any different than having a rom for a game you have a physical copy of? because I sleep fine doing that.
Depends on your local laws. The safe way to do it would be to copy the Earthbound game from your Wii U, then see about extracting the ROM from it. Anything else, I don't feel comfortable talking about due to my limited knowledge of laws. This thread addresses questions you might have. It's good to see others respecting the work enough to not pirate it. My opinion on it is: if you own the game you should dump it yourself unless it's entirely unreasonable (like requiring an old piece of hardware that's so rare that it to goes for a couple hundred dollars whenever it does show up on eBay), then I can understand other means of getting the ROM, as long as it's the same version, but that's still entirely illegal.

Be careful, this could easily slip into something that's against forum rules.
Advertising
PSP Slim CFW 6.60 ME-2.2
Wii 4.3 d2x cIOS v10-alt Beta53 Base 56 & 57
Daniel_Davies85

Post by Daniel_Davies85 »

As the guy above says, tread carefully as this could breach forum rules quite easily.

But, what I will add is this; there is a device out there to allow you to rip your own SNES cartridges to your PC. It was advertised on NintendoLife website a few years back but cost a pretty penny.

It all depends on your morals (and your bank balance) really.

Earthbound is an expensive game for an original copy, so is the device to rip it to your PC.

There are a lot of people on here who talk about using SNES or GBA emulators and the like on their Vita/PSP's, barely any of which I can imagine own one of these devices to rip their own copies so make of it what you will.

Dan.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Honestly if you own it then go for it, just go with your plan on getting it from the eshop then run a rom on whatever device.
I have plenty of SNES games but no way of dumping them so I just grab a rom.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

Post by 007 »

If its a SQUARE ENIX release just do it spread it and make sure everyone gets a copy....
3 x PSP GO Pearl White 6.20 PRO-B10.fix1 PERMA + Langswapper 1.6 Plugin
1 x PSP GO Piano Black 6.20 PRO-C2-14-02-2015 qwikrazor87 Release PERMA + Langswapper 1.6 Plugin
1 x PSP 3000 Lilac 6.20 PRO-B10.fix1 PERMA + Langswapper 1.6 Plugin

Return to “Emulators”