Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Stable GB/C emulator with cheats?

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
Rydian

Stable GB/C emulator with cheats?

Post by Rydian »

Slim on 6.60 PRO-C.

So I usually use Emumaster for my GB/C stuff and it works wonderfully, but it has no cheat support. I had a gameshark when I was a kid and had a ****-ton of fun with lots of codes (dark link, fight wild mew, etc.) and want to use codes, but I'm having various troubles.

A main issue is finding a stable emulator version that supports codes. RIN (and all the variants) seems to be the option, but I have all sorts of trouble with it (depending on the version and mod). Anything from not starting up (locking up the PSP) if I have it in a category/folder (via a plugin), to crashing on exit, to crashing when I try to load a second ROM after loading a first one... even with all plugins disabled (globally via the recovery menu).

The version I've found that's the most stable is RIN 1.32 RM Mod, but that still crashes on exit or when loading a second/third game from time to time.

Anybody know what's up or have a solution?

EDIT: Hm, it seems Homer's RIN 3.2 works (minus saving settings), opposed to 3.3 which freezes on startup, but I'd still like a second opinion.
Advertising
Harakiri_Robot12

Re: Stable GB/C emulator with cheats?

Post by Harakiri_Robot12 »

[spoiler]
Rydian wrote:Slim on 6.60 PRO-C.

So I usually use Emumaster for my GB/C stuff and it works wonderfully, but it has no cheat support. I had a gameshark when I was a kid and had a ****-ton of fun with lots of codes (dark link, fight wild mew, etc.) and want to use codes, but I'm having various troubles.

A main issue is finding a stable emulator version that supports codes. RIN (and all the variants) seems to be the option, but I have all sorts of trouble with it (depending on the version and mod). Anything from not starting up (locking up the PSP) if I have it in a category/folder (via a plugin), to crashing on exit, to crashing when I try to load a second ROM after loading a first one... even with all plugins disabled (globally via the recovery menu).

The version I've found that's the most stable is RIN 1.32 RM Mod, but that still crashes on exit or when loading a second/third game from time to time.

EDIT: Hm, it seems Homer's RIN 3.2 works (minus saving settings), opposed to 3.3 which freezes on startup, but I'd still like a second opinion.
[/spoiler]

Their is no such thing as an "stable" emulator, all emulators are imperfect in every detail, for example say I tell you their was a perfect msx emulator "seems ideal to get right?" Wrong, the msx emulator I told you cannot and never will support the psp (psp does not have the same commands as the msx, and does not nearly have enough buttons as an msx), because of this flaw you will be tempted to change keys during gameplay thus (games like Metal Gear 2).

However you can still play the MSX emulator, but you must remember it will always be flawed on your psp thus you have to get used to it...

As far as cheat codes "some" emulators support them, I suggest you play games without cheats anyways (unless on some rare cases were games are unplayable on the psp).

By the way, why not just use "Master boy" its a very good gbc emulator (but I don't remember if it has cheats or not)...
Advertising
This is my signature ---->Below this line <----
[spoiler]I'm Simply God, no one can defy me ^-^
〜 はらきりかみ 〜
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
naki-the-curious

Post by naki-the-curious »

You can probably call gPSP a stable emulator, I've been using it for 2 years and not a single crash! (If you mean 'incomplete', then I guess gPSP doesn't have multiplayer support, but I don't need it anyway). Also the SNES emulators are generally stable aswell.

(sorry for the offtopic! :lol:)
my stuff
  • PSP 3000 White (03g) - Dual Boot (6.60 Pro-C2 and LME 1.8)
  • PSP 2000 Simpsons Ed. - 6.60 ME 1.8
  • PS Vita Cosmic Red - FW3.01
  • Sony Vaio E-Series Laptop White
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 International (Rooted)
Rydian

Post by Rydian »

1 - There's a difference between imperfect emulation, and emulators that crash the PSP on startup or upon loading a ROM either 100% of the time, or on a regular basis.

2 - Masterboy does not support cheats.
TragicTheBlubbering

Post by TragicTheBlubbering »

Homer's Rin 3.3 works fine for me on both 6.60 PROMOD and 6.60 ME on PSP fat so you might give those a try.
R.I.P Leonard Nimoy, the original Mr. Spock. He lived long and prospered. :cry:
---------------
[spoiler]Paridae or gtfo! 8-)
---------------
i was wondering if there anyway to mod the ps3 so i can play ps3 game ??
[/spoiler]
---------------
Papiex

Post by Papiex »

Rydian wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am The version I've found that's the most stable is RIN 1.32 RM Mod, but that still crashes on exit or when loading a second/third game from time to time.
Sorry for digging up an old post, but I had precisely this problem. I love this emulator so much, that I've decided to fix it :) I've taken the old source code , fixed the issue you mentioned and added couple of features in the "rewind" area (like progress bar, and support for more memory in Slim/Andrenaline). It can be downloaded here : https://github.com/mbarczak/psp_rin/releases

Return to “Emulators”