Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

QWERTY Keyboards

Everything related to computers that doesn't go in other categories
frank

QWERTY Keyboards

Post by frank »

i dont know about you but i think this is wierd
i was reading a book bout computers
it said that the qwerty layout was actually designed to make you type slower
because it was originally made for typewriters and if you typed too fast it would jam
so what i dont understand is why do we still mostly use this layout?
the DVORAK layout was designed for speed
i think that the whole world should switch to it cuz its kinda dumb to keep using qwerty
in fact...i have an idea
although this isnt computer related but...im gonna take apart my g1 and rearrange the keyboard buttons to dvorak
then im gonna remap em so they work right
and yes i have taken apart my g1 and had it work fine, no not fine but same as it did before(cuz it was already messed up), later...but i just realized...i bought a new g1...and idk if im gonna wanna rip the keyboard apart
cuz its all one rubber thing connected
itll work but they might be a bit loose
and yep i know how to remap keys too, in fact im gonna post a tutorial in the android section soon as i get time

anyways what do you guys think of this keyboard stuff?
Advertising
Sig shrink!
PSP 2000 6.60 ME-1.8
G1 - Super D 1.11
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P5113 - CyanogenMod 10
PC - Windows 7 - P4 3.20ghz HT - 3 gb 756 mb RAM - ATI Radeon x600
Cardboard box server - Ubuntu Server :D - AMD Athlon XP 3000+ - 512mb RAM
waratte

Re: QWERTY Keyboards

Post by waratte »

frank wrote:i dont know about you but i think this is wierd
i was reading a book bout computers
it said that the qwerty layout was actually designed to make you type slower
because it was originally made for typewriters and if you typed too fast it would jam
so what i dont understand is why do we still mostly use this layout?
the DVORAK layout was designed for speed
i think that the whole world should switch to it cuz its kinda dumb to keep using qwerty
in fact...i have an idea
although this isnt computer related but...im gonna take apart my g1 and rearrange the keyboard buttons to dvorak
then im gonna remap em so they work right
and yes i have taken apart my g1 and had it work fine, no not fine but same as it did before(cuz it was already messed up), later...but i just realized...i bought a new g1...and idk if im gonna wanna rip the keyboard apart
cuz its all one rubber thing connected
itll work but they might be a bit loose
and yep i know how to remap keys too, in fact im gonna post a tutorial in the android section soon as i get time

anyways what do you guys think of this keyboard stuff?
It's been said that this layout was used to impress buyers because, you are able to type "typewriter" using only the first row of keys. It appeared fast to use because of how fast the salesman can type that word but, as you said, it was designed to slow you down. To stop jams. See how they trick us! :(

But, I'm too used to it, I won't ever change. Even if it did increase my productivity.
Advertising
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

Why QWERTY is still used:
It is costly to repurchase all computer components for companies, to retrain all staff, QWERTY's are buyable near everywhere, many systems/games/servers/etc are designed to only recognize QWERTY configuration, people are used to it, and, in most cases, it is the first keyboard a child uses.

Elimination of QWERTY keyboards would take several generations and a willingness of companies and governments to implement.
Regulations would have to standardize the new model as the only keyboard to produce, while barring imports, as other nations may not make such laws, and an influx of QWERTY's would hinder progress.
Also, for system/game/server/etc design regulations might need to be made, but, would likely follow the money. If new keyboards are what people have, they would make programs that work on that, or lose corporate sponsorship/profits.
New model keyboard could be placed in schools and other child facilities (cost being an issue again,) however, a child's first computer tends to be at their home, and replacement of these with new model would be hard to implement, short of paying people to trade in their old ones for new ones. (and watch the tech garbage depots be ransacked the following night by those looking to make some quick cash, xD)

It would be on the scope of switching from Imperial to Metric. Better without a doubt, but, takes alot of time, and many will find it difficult to switch after living a lifetime of such usage, even when they want make the change.

And, as for other language keyboards, well, that a whole other can of worms...
ASKidwai

Post by ASKidwai »

Thing is people have gotten used to it and a whole new keyboard layout is too hard for them.

I have UK keyboard at home and the people who use it always get frustrated because it different from the "normal" one i.e the USA one.

So, changing the QWERTY is nigh on impossible...
frank

Post by frank »

i wonder when we will uncover more stuff like this lol
i mean we could be designing computers very stupidly and we wont know it

ive always dreamed of reinventing computers, but not using old 'proven' ideas
who knows? maybe one day we wont use binary and look back thinking how unefficient it was
theres research with cpus using quantum physics
im not a pyshics knowall, but what if they find a way to not use base 2 but something higher
Sig shrink!
PSP 2000 6.60 ME-1.8
G1 - Super D 1.11
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P5113 - CyanogenMod 10
PC - Windows 7 - P4 3.20ghz HT - 3 gb 756 mb RAM - ATI Radeon x600
Cardboard box server - Ubuntu Server :D - AMD Athlon XP 3000+ - 512mb RAM
waratte

Post by waratte »

frank wrote:i wonder when we will uncover more stuff like this lol
i mean we could be designing computers very stupidly and we wont know it

ive always dreamed of reinventing computers, but not using old 'proven' ideas
who knows? maybe one day we wont use binary and look back thinking how unefficient it was
theres research with cpus using quantum physics
im not a pyshics knowall, but what if they find a way to not use base 2 but something higher
They also have other types of computers, binary was the most efficient, I believe.

Return to “General”