Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

A great year for programmer?

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

A great year for programmer?

Post by asgard20032 »

Hi, is it me, or this year will be a great year for programmer? So many new technology, tool, library...

- SDL 2.0 A.K.A SDL 1.3 has been approved, and now is in finalizing part, doing the last major bug.(Surely by the end of the year, or in the beginning of 2013, it has been developed since many year...) See here for any news about the release of SDL 2.0 : SDL 2.0 release thread
- A new version of Eclipse recently, codename Juno. Was released during the beginning of summer.
- A new version of Netbean: Netbean 7.2 In few week, it will be finally released after a release candidate that lasted like 1 month (Edit: Just released)
- Steam coming to Linux, will help indie programmer to release more game to Linux more easily. (Im talking about commercial game, its sure it won't help open-source game to be released...) By the end of the year.
- GTK 3 get more update, and now is viable (last year, GTK 2 was still the standard, but now, GTK 3 is the new standard)
- Kernel 3.x is now the standard for Linux
- HTML5

What else should we watch for this year/next year??

(What about the new specification of C and C++??)
Advertising
Last edited by asgard20032 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m0skit0
Guru

Re: A great year for programmer?

Post by m0skit0 »

Every year is a good year for programming. Computer technology advances really fast!

C++11 is a nice new set of features ;) Although C++ is so flawed from its inception that no revision is going to save it anyway...
Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

asgard20032 wrote:What else should we watch for this year/next year??
Might be just me, but Qt5 is expected in September this year.
From what it looks, it now has slightly higher requirements (namely Open GL (ES) 2.0 to run), but the API changes are minor compared to the jump from Qt3 to Qt4.
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Post by asgard20032 »

Also, feel free to talk about new thing not related to C or C++, as long as it related to computer, and it can help programmer. (Any language)

And I also think that soon, there should be a compiler that implement most of the new C11 standard. Clang, a compiler that most people are not aware of, is already supporting over 90% of C++11 specification, so they are surely also working on C11. Although not a well know compiler, its still one of three major C compiler at the moment: GCC, Clang, Microsoft's compiler

Also, I read somewhere that Clang is currently working for PyPy support (Python) and also Java. Maybe a better alternative than GCJ for native compilation.

Also, there was a new version of Unbuntu with long time support, considiring that lot of programmer work on Ubuntu because its the most popular platform, a new long time support is always useful. Its the time for old Ubuntu user to upgrade, and user newer version of their library.

KDE in version 5 soon, currently, they are finalizing 4.8 or 4.9
Davee
Guru

Post by Davee »

Xian Nox wrote:
asgard20032 wrote:What else should we watch for this year/next year??
Might be just me, but Qt5 is expected in September this year.
From what it looks, it now has slightly higher requirements (namely Open GL (ES) 2.0 to run), but the API changes are minor compared to the jump from Qt3 to Qt4.
Mostly pointless if you're working on desktop. Can welcome the extended C++11 support though !
Follow me on twitter: @DaveeFTW
SHA-1

Post by SHA-1 »

Cool!!!

I'd like to have SDL 2.0, as I use for small games I make in my spare time.
(I don't and NEVER had a computer in my life, always went to the local library/school library :shock: ).

As for C++11, I've read about it in various websites and have getting really excited about it's new features.
I use Qt alot, so the new release may help me.

BTW, I heard that Nokia is selling Qt and all of the Qt assets... :o :shock:
Hoping the person who buys Qt is as good as Nokia was.
Languages, I know:
C++, C, Perl, Bash.

Languages I'm learning:
Assembly, Python, Java.
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Qt has two versions, an open-source one, and an enterprise one.
You can freely use the open-source one, and it doesn't matter who the owner is. Of course it would be a pain if they decide not to implement patches to it, but a community-driven project can be started as well, and it won't be fatal.
The enterprise one is paid anyways, so it's none of my concern if it gets support or not.
Davee
Guru

Post by Davee »

Nokia... heh.
They've not sold Qt (and hopefully wont), just killed a lot of development... It'll be interesting to see what happens, since they are the largest contributor.
Follow me on twitter: @DaveeFTW
garrei

Post by garrei »

Code: Select all

print = "hello world"
well thats about to my extent of programming.

Im a website developer not a programmer... but yay for HTML5!
My PC: AMD FX 8-core 4.2Ghz, 16gb RAM, GTX 580, 60gb SSD, Blu-ray Burner, WiFi, 1.5TB HDD, 1000W PSU, 27" Full HD Monitor
My PSP Slim 2002 - TA-085
My PS3 Slim 160GB 4.25 OFW
My Vita: WiFi only :(
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

garrei wrote:print = "hello world"
That's not even correct... ;)
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"

Return to “Programming”