Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Programming languages

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
m0skit0
Guru

Re: Programming languages

Post by m0skit0 »

@Nickolas: You see it's ARM.
Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Post by asgard20032 »

m0skit0 wrote:
Davee wrote:c++ ****
also a functional language

Code: Select all

if (you mean C++ is also a functional language)
{
} 
else if (you mean C++ to learn OOP)
{
	let me say C++ sucks at this so hard I can't even stand it. And a good way to confuse students about what OOP is
}
else if (you simply meant C++ is great)
{
	I do agree  :lol:
}

if (you meant him to study also a functional language)
{
	I agree too ^^ but probably functional programming is harder for a beginner unless he has some maths notions
}
mtb wrote:hack gba game engines
What you mean by this? Cheating?

So if C++ is a bad programming language for OOP, what is a good language for OOP?
Advertising
mtb

Post by mtb »

I meant taking a Gba game, reverse engineering it, and adding my own content. I can already make cheats in disassembler, decoder what ever you call it. I'm not a complete idiot lol.
"I do like god, its just as stable as pro. I have ran it on every psp without issue." -****
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

mtb wrote:I meant taking a Gba game, reverse engineering it, and adding my own content
m0skit0 wrote:I suggest him to read this: "After a long 5 years" and probably they already knew programming when they started...
mtb wrote:I'm not a complete idiot lol.
Well how should I know. Interwebs is full of complete idiots. Just ask the moderators here around.
asgard20032 wrote:So if C++ is a bad programming language for OOP, what is a good language for OOP?
I didn't say C++ is bad for OOP. I said it's bad for learning OOP. You already have to know OOP to do decent OOP with C++. Also C++ offers so many freedoms that beginners will make mistakes and bad practices using this freedoms incorrectly. If you're asking what I consider a good language to learn OOP, then I would say C if you don't know programming yet, and Java if you already know imperative programming. OOP is not a good paradigm to learn programming because it hides so much about how the computer really does the stuff, and also to fully understand OOP paradigm, you have to compare it with the imperative one, so you understand how things are done in an imperative way, why such changes were made, what problems they solve and how.

Anyway, this is my opinion based on my working/teaching experience.
ohrores

Post by ohrores »

I think the question is not what language should I learn,
but rather which languages.
Because every language gives you another perspective,
so I recommend to look at these paradigms :
  • Assembly/Machine Code
    OOP
    Functional
    Theorem Proving
Naturally it depends on the purpose and your favour.
I can particularly recommend Haskell. At least give it a look.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

I don't think people can properly learn many programming languages at once, specially if they don't know any, I tell you from experience. That ends with the student learning nothing but a big ball of confused terms and syntaxes. Usually we programmers (and humans in general) forget how hard it is to start learning something you have no idea about (it is for me anyway). I still make syntax/paradigm mistakes when programming in 2 different languages at the same time, and this having 15 years of programming behind me. Imagine for a beginner...

Haskell is functional programming, which also may seem hard to beginners, specially if they are not good at maths. Usually programming beginners have a lot of difficulty understanding recursion for example, which is more a functional-type algorithm. Now tell them they should program using only functions and this is enough to make people mad :lol:
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Post by asgard20032 »

Ok, normally, im very good at math. Already did some math contest, I was in the top every time, understand lot of math that at my scholar level, we should'nt know... But i just saw Haskell, erlang, common lisp... Functionnal language are really weird. If it were pure math, I would understand, maybe its math logic behind function and every thing, but the declaration of function, defenition of function and usage of function are strange. But I won't stop here.

What language do you guy recommend for functionnal? Im not asking for the easier, but for the most useful one, the most used by other (bigger community behind it), more library available...
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

I don't know why so many people think that knowing math helps programming. It simply doesn't, the two don't have enough in common. I also have to disagree that doing well on math contests means that you're good at maths. From my experience, maths helped me as much as learning languages did with programming. What I have found helping me most on programming is writing the code instead of copy/pasting it. I pay much more attention this way. Also, experimenting with something that already works, adding new features to it and such modding, can be quite useful to get you started once you know the basics.
asgard20032 wrote:What language do you guy recommend for functionnal? Im not asking for the easier, but for the most useful one, the most used by other (bigger community behind it), more library available...
C
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Xian Nox wrote:the two don't have enough in common
You're totally wrong. Maybe you're confusing maths with arithmetics, or some specific part of mathematics. Math and programming are like brothers, since programming is no more than implementing algorithms, and an algorithm is a mathematical procedure. Formal logic, also used a lot in programming, is a part of mathematics. Binary systems were invented by George Boole as a mathematical theory. And last but not least, what are computers but big calculators? I personally can't think of anything that they don't have in common.
Xian Nox wrote:What I have found helping me most on programming is writing the code instead of copy/pasting it. I pay much more attention this way.
I totally and absolutely agree here. In fact this is what I do when I learn a new language or library or whatever. Even if I can copy-paste it, I don't. I do it by hand because this way I pay attention (even subconsciously) at what's being done.
Xian Nox wrote:C
He said functional programming. C is nowhere close, although you can "emulate" functional programming with it (some functional languages are compiled to C first). One of oldest (if not the oldest) functional languages is LISP. There's only to stances with LISP: either love it, or hate it. I just loved it when I was taught it at university in Functional Programming and Artifical Intelligence courses. Loved both of those courses and I think this was due to the fact on how LISP makes those thing look so easy. Other people just puke at the very hearing of LISP pronounced. Haskell, Erlang, Scala are other popular choices nowadays.
ohrores

Post by ohrores »

m0skit0 wrote:I don't think people can properly learn many programming languages at once
Sorry I did not mean learning them simultaneous. My point was that you can extend your knowledge and perspective
with every new language you learn.
m0skit0 wrote:Haskell is functional programming, which also may seem hard to beginners, specially if they are not good at maths. Usually programming beginners have a lot of difficulty understanding recursion for example, which is more a functional-type algorithm. Now tell them they should program using only functions and this is enough to make people mad :lol:
I learned Haskell with the book / online tutorial "Learn you a haskell for great good".
And I thought that it is very intuitive to have "real" functions.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Return to “Programming”