Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

A throw-back for all the Minecraft fans!

Discuss Windows, Mac, or Linux Gaming (or other types of applications) here
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

A throw-back for all the Minecraft fans!

Post by Disturbed0ne »

As of right this minute (1:29AM EST) 4,977,792 people have purchased the game Minecraft (the number grows every second :shock: ) which was created by the Indy game developer Markus Persson (known on the internet as Notch). What most people don't know is that he's been making video games since 1986 (he created his first game at age 7 on the Commodore64 [game name is unknown])

I'm sure most (if not all) of you have at least heard of Minecraft and love the game (probably not as much as I do :lol: ) but I've got something that most of you probably haven't heard of, it's called Minicraft, it's a "top down 2D game" similar to Legend of Zelda/Pokemon but based on Minecraft.

It's a neat little game that gets quite addictive, it would make an excellent PSP port (I really need to get off my **** and start to learn some more coding than the minuscule amount I know now :x )

Here's a trailer so everyone can get an idea of how fun the game actually is :
Enjoy. 8-)

~D1
Advertising
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
I AM A RETIRED MODERATOR!
nisarg_kolhe

Re: A throw-back for all the Minecraft fans!

Post by nisarg_kolhe »

Do we have the source code? o.O Its necessary for porting! :|
Advertising
Reality Sucks! :|
!~My Blog~!
[spoiler]Ultimate PS3 Theme Mod v2.1(For PSP)
Image[/spoiler]
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

nisarg_kolhe wrote:Do we have the source code? o.O Its necessary for porting! :|
I'm not sure, but I'll look for it and post it in this thread if I find it.
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
snailface

Post by snailface »

Disturbed0ne wrote:
nisarg_kolhe wrote:Do we have the source code? o.O Its necessary for porting! :|
Here is the direct link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/ld22/minicraft_source.zip

Bad news is that it's Java. :?
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

snailface wrote:
Disturbed0ne wrote:
Here is the direct link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/ld22/minicraft_source.zip

Bad news is that it's Java. :?
Maybe something can be done with PSPKVM (which if I'm not mistaken is a Java emulator) that will allow the game to be played (I'm sure there will have to be some "tweaking" somewhere though. :lol:

Edit : I'm too tired to look into it right now but I'd bet money that the game could be played through PSPKVM.

I'm off to bed now though.
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Have source code --> Recreate application logic in C --> ??? --> Profit
ultimakillz
Retired Mod

Post by ultimakillz »

be careful with what you do with that source. Notch himself has stated that minicraft is NOT open source, but only that the source had to be released in accordance with the rules of whatever competition it was he entered minicraft into. i can't find the exact tweet in which he stated it, but here is what he said:
"Minicraft, my Ludum Dare game, is not Open Source. It has the source available because of LD rules, but there is no license."

"Feel free to play around with it, but if you want to use if commercially, you need to talk to us at Mojang first."

"You also can't re-release the code as open source. So those github things are technically not legal. ;)"
~edit~
found part of the source:
https://twitter.com/#!/sneakin/status/1 ... 0554902528
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't no license mean no rights reserved?
Also, if you recreate the logic (I don't mean copy/paste, but make something similar in a completely different language), I don't see why they would have any rights on the new work, since it's not a derivative.
codestation
Big Beholder

Post by codestation »

This (@ultimakillz post), having no license is worst than having one since you have no legal rights to use the code and the author can demand to stop using his code when he wants.

The only thing that you can do is make the port to psp and ask notch if you can release it as a psp homebrew (not exactly in that order).
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..
ultimakillz
Retired Mod

Post by ultimakillz »

if you're serious about porting it, i would say contact notch first. if you just want to play around with it without actually planning on releasing anything officially i would say go ahead. basically repeating what notch said in his twitter posts.

Return to “Games/Applications”