Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Android VS iOS

Everything related to smartphones and tablets that doesn't fit in the other forums
TiPi
Retired Mod

Android VS iOS

Post by TiPi »

Who Wins? And why?
Advertising
Problems or questions? Feel free to contact me.
-My Blog-
Coldbird
Guru

Re: Android VS iOS

Post by Coldbird »

Android - no doubt about it.

1. Open Plattform
2. No SDK Ripoff Policy like with iOS Stuff
3. Free Distribution of your Coding on the Market or Outside of it... (The Outside of it is the interesting part here...)
4. Lots and lots of fanbased modifications to handcraft it to endusers likings... MIUI, CM7, etc.
5. Several Manufacturers to pick from, this competition allows endusers to pick a device they can actually AFFORD that actually does what they want (not some 800$ single-manufacturer *** like with Apple, and before someone tells me I got my iPhone for 0$ then that person plain and simple lies, there is always a contract with a devil bundled that rips you off your 800$ somewhere)
6. Java VM allows for X-Architecture Development, allowing manufacturers to use next-generation components way earlier than iOS as all they gotta do is port the Dalvik VM to the architecture... this is how we came to see several ARM-Arches aswell as MIPS-Arches being used in Android-Hardware
7. It's Linux-based and runs on a normal Linux-Architecture / Kernel on the bottom, allowing for several Chroot tricks to directly launch Desktop-Linux Applications

This list could go on and on... but you get my point I think. I'm still laughing every time some Apple Kiddy comes to me and wants me to open a Adhoc Network so they can SSH a file into their Phone because Apple decided to do some stupid USB Mass Storage Block...

Or when they cry because some Bluetooth Sound Adapter isn't working because it's not Apple certified... So much bollocks...

In the end, Open Plattforms will prevail simply because they ARE open. They are in a constant evolution and reviewing process, monitored and formed by thousands of people, while opening plattforms pose the risk of people easily finding flaws and exploits in them, those exploits are fixed just as fast as they are discovered... while on proprietary locked down plattforms... it's somewhat of a security by obscurity principal...

And well... we are on a mostly Sony-based HW forum here at Wololo's... we all know how security by obscurity turns out in the end... right Sony? :roll:
Advertising
PSP N-1000 ✔ / 6.20 PRO NIGHTLY ✔ / PRO ONLINE ✔
karkinissan

Post by karkinissan »

What he said.
Plus, WiFiKill !!! :twisted:
Sorry for my Awesome English.
hackerz

Post by hackerz »

coldbird said it all but, what does apple does better then android is the real question besides apps and the quality of music actually android even does that better u can take the mp3s on to any machine with androids musix with apple/ios u have to use it on apple only devices well besides ur pc
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Each has pros and cons. Even if iOS works better and faster on most devices I've seen, I choose Android because I'm an "advanced" user.

Why Android is better:
  • (Kind of) Open source vs "No peeking h4ck0rZ"
  • Fully customizable vs "I'm a**hole Jobs, I know what you need"
  • Supports Linux (biggest and most successful open-source project ever) vs "My treasure!"
  • No paying fee for developing vs "I want a penny for anything you do"
  • Runs on any device, thus not tied to any hardware vs "You need an iStuff to run this"
  • Java vs "Who the heck knows that Apple programming language (ObjectiveC)"
  • Develop on any platform you want vs "Get a Mac also you rich guy"
  • Lots of ROMs and living custom scene vs "I sue you h4ck0rZ"
Why iOS is better (and why I don't care):
  • Fashion vs "I'm a poor guy" -> I'm proud to not spend money on Apple over-priced devices. Eat your Turing's apple logo, who cares about it.
  • Objective-C is compiled vs "Java's slow a**" -> I'm not going to spend time learning a language that only Apple uses
  • More stable and faster vs "Android works on everything, but works slow/bad" -> I prefer an open platform than a software tied to a specific hardware (like Apple's)
  • (Probably) Better API design vs "Why do I need all this to do that" -> See point 2
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
fuzzy123

Post by fuzzy123 »

The only reason iOS is faster is because it is heavily optimized for overpriced idevices whereas android can't be optimized for each and every device because of varying hardware.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything worthwhile it's too late to stop reading it.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Already said that.
m0skit0 wrote:a software tied to a specific hardware (like Apple's)
And anyway: no, it's not the only reason. iOS apps are compiled and not interpreted like Android's.
frank

Post by frank »

m0skit0 wrote:Already said that.
m0skit0 wrote:a software tied to a specific hardware (like Apple's)
And anyway: no, it's not the only reason. iOS apps are compiled and not interpreted like Android's.
Not necassarily
You can run native code on Android devices :mrgreen:
Sig shrink!
PSP 2000 6.60 ME-1.8
G1 - Super D 1.11
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P5113 - CyanogenMod 10
PC - Windows 7 - P4 3.20ghz HT - 3 gb 756 mb RAM - ATI Radeon x600
Cardboard box server - Ubuntu Server :D - AMD Athlon XP 3000+ - 512mb RAM
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

frank wrote:You can run native code on Android devices :mrgreen:
Not only that, the 2.x Android version also introduced a JIT compiler for the Java VM.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

frank wrote:You can run native code on Android devices :mrgreen:
Using the NDK, I know, but this limits your app on running on a specific device architecture. Thus the ADK is still preferred for maximum compatibility.
JJS wrote:2.x Android version also introduced a JIT compiler for the Java VM.
JIT is still not native since you still need to do a translation (and thus slower than native).

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Return to “General”