Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Wanting to have a go at creating an Emulator

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
Manix

Wanting to have a go at creating an Emulator

Post by Manix »

Folks,

I'd like to have a go at, and devote the time towards achieving, creating an emulator for the original XBox, but want to start small, something like an 8bit system or a Nintendo handheld early console.

I'm not sure where to start. I work in the I.T. industry and used to have a little programming experience (Pascal) back in the late 90's. My questions are:

1. Which language do I have to learn to program in? Is it C++ or Visual C++?
2. How long will I have to learn this language for and does it require you to have a lot of years experience in programming to be skilled in creating an emulator?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I have the desire to achieve my goal and just need to be pointed in the right direction. They say that hardest part of any project is how to get started.

Cheers for the advice.
Advertising
dmaskell92

Re: Wanting to have a go at creating an Emulator

Post by dmaskell92 »

It's been tried before by many talented people who have all failed. It's not an easy task I imagine.

I don't know the first thing about pointing you in the right direction, however I wanted to wish you good luck!
Advertising
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Wanting to have a go at creating an Emulator

Post by fate6 »

The OG Xbox is hard to emulate for a number of reasons that im in no way qualified to explain but here is the current XQEmu

https://github.com/espes/xqemu

Its afaik the current best emulator but even then it can't do much and is a tad on the buggy side.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

Return to “Programming and Security”