Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

The Official Programming Dictionary

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
pspfanMOHH

Re: The Official Programming Dictionary

Post by pspfanMOHH »

Java doesn't have string class? That is pretty messed up since 90% of all the languages has string classes, and when you start them you will be confused, I love strings btw because they give so much headaches with warnings and errors, any of you?
Advertising
10 years young!
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

GBOT wrote:I started programming with VB6 and let me say it was a waste of time (FOR ME), When I considered I was experienced in VB6 I moved to C and it was totally a different thing; then I realised I didn't know much about programming. In VB6 you can leave a lot of stuff behind (or you don't know how it works) which you cant in C, and that's not a good way of learning imo.
I bet more than the half of java programmers don't know how a String class works (that's why they choose java in the end)

This is just my opinion, I don't want to hurt no one feelings :mrgreen:
I have no problem with people who start small (scripts and the such) if they later plan on moving to the big guns, scripting and small languages help learning the basic principles of programming languages without the hassle that C/C++ can give to newcomers (syntax, very bad debugging, etc). imo starting programming with scripts and easy languages is not a bad idea, and whenever I see an experienced dev criticizing anyone who is learning with scripts and calling them "script kiddies" just makes me ashamed of being a dev, and I have myself as an example, I started with python and now I can fully write code in C, C++, MIPS and 8086 assembly, and that's not even half the languages I will have to learn.
Advertising
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

pspfanMOHH wrote:Java doesn't have string class? That is pretty messed up since 90% of all the languages has string classes, and when you start them you will be confused, I love strings btw because they give so much headaches with warnings and errors, any of you?
It does but it doesn't have as many string manipulation routines as most languages
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
NightStar3
VIP

Post by NightStar3 »

pspfanMOHH wrote:That is pretty messed up since 90% of all the languages has string classes, and when you start them you will be confused, I love strings btw because they give so much headaches with warnings and errors, any of you?
I'm quite curious as to where you obtained that fact. May I have a link?
hgoel0974 wrote: It does but it doesn't have as many string manipulation routines as most languages
Exactly which string manipulation routines are you talking about?
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

pspfanMOHH wrote:Java doesn't have string class?
rofl. It has one... since it's first revision. Earliest documentation I could find on the String class:
http://web.mit.edu/java_v1.0.2/www/java ... tring.html
pspfanMOHH wrote:I love strings btw because they give so much headaches with warnings and errors, any of you?
Hallelujah, we have discovered the hot water of programming: reusing code.
hgoel0974 wrote:It does but it doesn't have as many string manipulation routines as most languages
Apache Commons StringUtils has pretty much anything I can think of.
Acid_Snake wrote:I have no problem with people who start small (scripts and the such) if they later plan on moving to the big guns, scripting and small languages help learning the basic principles of programming languages without the hassle that C/C++ can give to newcomers (syntax, very bad debugging, etc).
I cannot agree more here. I started with Logo, moved to JavaScript and ActionScript later on, had fun with C/C++, and now I'm into Java. All I can say is that learning how computers work and learning to read the documentation at your own pace are the best things you can do. For me, it was C that did that mostly; after that adapting to anything that comes up became trivial. Apart from that, a heck lot of practice on whatever you want to know, no matter how pointless it is to make.
GBOT
Developer

Post by GBOT »

pspfanMOHH wrote:Java doesn't have string class? That is pretty messed up since 90% of all the languages has string classes, and when you start them you will be confused, I love strings btw because they give so much headaches with warnings and errors, any of you?
Java does have the String class. I named it as an example, do you know how it works internally? Well, a good practice would be making your own string manipulation functions, or even better, your own string class replicating all the functions your own way. Thats learning programming for me :)
Xian Nox wrote:Why have it easy when you can have it difficult, right? :lol:
That's the way I like it, rough :mrgreen:
Github
Twitter

Can't give enough crepes
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

GBOT wrote:o you know how it works internally?
Don't know java, C#/C/C++ LUA and PYTHON also assembly/MIPS is all I know
10 years young!
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

NightStar3 wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote: It does but it doesn't have as many string manipulation routines as most languages
Exactly which string manipulation routines are you talking about?
Can't think of any off the top of my head but I remember that when I was learning Java in school, I felt that some really useful thing was missing.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

NightStar3 wrote:Exactly which string manipulation routines are you talking about?
take a look at what you can do with strings in python, then come back and tell me java doesn't miss any of that without some algorithm of some sorts.
NightStar3 wrote: I'm quite curious as to where you obtained that fact. May I have a link?
compare the number of high-level languages that have OOP to the ones that don't? although I personally don't think it's 90%
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

OP Updated
10 years young!

Return to “Programming and Security”