Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How are Development Kits for portables made?

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
10$man

Re: How are Development Kits for portables made?

Post by 10$man »

------

I understand what you mean, but I still am sure that I said it exactly how I meant it.
I am not talking about C.
I am talking about a language that is based of C.
Thus the Compiler would not a be a C compiler.
Since we don't know what language it is, we only know that it's based of C, it would be logical to say a C based compiler.
A Compiler based of C would be just as acceptable because we're not talking about a specific compiler.

I know your a smart person, and I don't think this argument is of much use to either of us. I feel like your just misunderstanding what I am trying to say.
Advertising
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

10$man wrote:Since we don't know what language it is, we only know that it's based of C, it would be logical to say a C based compiler.
I got what you mean, but I think it would be more accurate to call it an unknown C-based language compiler.
Advertising
Nickolas

Post by Nickolas »

This thread is becoming a bit funny :lol: I think he means a language with the same syntax/grammar with C. A brand new language.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Oh ok, I understand now. You should have said it like Xian Nox points out.

Why would you invent a new language based on C? What are the benefits, aka, why would you do so? And anyway, you would have to translate it into machine code at the end, no matter what intermediate language(s) you're using.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
10$man

Post by 10$man »

Xian Nox wrote:
10$man wrote:Since we don't know what language it is, we only know that it's based of C, it would be logical to say a C based compiler.
I got what you mean, but I think it would be more accurate to call it an unknown C-based language compiler.
Alright, I understand know :P
Nickolas wrote:This thread is becoming a bit funny :lol: I think he means a language with the same syntax/grammar with C. A brand new language.
I think he already explained that :|
m0skit0 wrote:Oh ok, I understand now. You should have said it like Xian Nox points out.

Why would you invent a new language based on C? What are the benefits, aka, why would you do so? And anyway, you would have to translate it into machine code at the end, no matter what intermediate language(s) you're using.
I wouldn't, I don't have that kind of time. If somebody did that, it would be so that when it was broken down to machine code it could be more optimized for the system itself (Gameboy or PSP).
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

I'm not talking about you. When you say "why would you do X" it actually means "why would someone do X". It's an impersonal "you".
10$man wrote:If somebody did that, it would be so that when it was broken down to machine code it could be more optimized for the system itself (Gameboy or PSP).
If so, then it makes no sense since it's very hard to find a language which compilers are as optimized in generating assembly (and thus machine code) than C. Thus trying to write a language for a specific platform/architecture is a waste of time. For that you already have assembly ;)
10$man

Post by 10$man »

m0skit0 wrote:I'm not talking about you. When you say "why would you do X" it actually means "why would someone do X". It's an impersonal "you".
10$man wrote:If somebody did that, it would be so that when it was broken down to machine code it could be more optimized for the system itself (Gameboy or PSP).
If so, then it makes no sense since it's very hard to find a language which compilers are as optimized in generating assembly (and thus machine code) than C. Thus trying to write a language for a specific platform/architecture is a waste of time. For that you already have assembly ;)
I understand ;)

Well, if you where making it for a public release so that anyone can code in C and have it run faster then the already out GBDK, then it could be not a waste of time. Also, I mean Gameboy specific optimization. But, I understand what your saying.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

GB specific optimization could be included in a custom C compiler as well. Since all architectures are based on the same universal Von Neumann design, it's easier to optimize the C compiler rather than creating a whole new language for each architecture. That's a waste of time, money and effort for really very little benefit. It's not a good engineering idea.
10$man

Post by 10$man »

m0skit0 wrote:GB specific optimization could be included in a custom C compiler as well. Since all architectures are based on the same universal Von Neumann design, it's easier to optimize the C compiler rather than creating a whole new language for each architecture. That's a waste of time, money and effort for really very little benefit. It's not a good engineering idea.
Alright, I wasn't planning on it. I was just asking. Thank you for your time!

Return to “Programming and Security”