Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Self-made PSX games have strange behavior on PSP-3000

Discuss here techniques/plugins/etc... related to ISO Loading and PSX Games
Forum rules
No Piracy Talk allowed here! Any post containing illegal contents and/or contents that is against the forum rules (including but not limited to links for illegal iso downloads) will be deleted, and the poster will be warned.
Elaugaufein

Self-made PSX games have strange behavior on PSP-3000

Post by Elaugaufein »

So this is an odd one:

I have a pretty old PSP-2000 (like from 2007) and the power switch has long since broken so it automatically powers on at random and drains the battery. I also have a PSP-3000.

The PSP2000 is a Magic MS / Battery setup that was running permanent 6.61 ME, and I have several PSX games on it I converted to run on it myself. They all work etc.

SO I got the new PSP, switched the Memory Card over to it, updated it to 6.61, registered it to run my owned games on my PS3, installed LME / PRO, installed Infinity 2.0. Updated the popsloader plugin to 4i (with CDDA) (I have the various POPS dumps required) and got the latest categories lite plugin to be safe.

My issue is that nearly all the PSX games no longer work. They boot to a black screen and hang, though sometimes the POPS menu can be accessed to eg Quit the Game. The exception is Lunar 2 Eternal Blue which works (however it is set to use the original from Flash POPS) . This is true both on PRO and LME,

However this story gets weirder:
I have the PSN version so Suikoden and Suikoden 2, both work without problems on either system.
Furthermore I swapped the card back to the old PSP-2000 to try and troubleshoot. I changed absolutely nothing and the games work on it (so it's even the same POPSLoader plugin and dumps I was using on the PSP-3000)

Does anyone have any insight on what's happening here and what I need to do to get these games to work.

The games in question are:
Legend of Legaia
Ogre Battle
Brigandine
Tales of Destiny
Thousand Arms
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II

I have tried these games on the PSP-3000 without POPSLoader / CDDA enabled to check if it was a problem with the POPSLoader versions not working on the PSP-3000

Lunar 2 does successfully boot

but

Legend of Legaia
Ogre Battle
Brigandine
Tales of Destiny
Thousand Arms
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II

All hang on a black screen without access to the POPs menu if that is attempted. So the same thing as they do if I set the POPsloader to boot them from the original on Flash), the Memory card read light blinks slowly.

I haven't tried repacking them (since I just transferred them and they worked on the PSP-2000). I might try that tomorrow. (All the Reddit threads I can find suggest that most games should do more than these are so it's possible they just aren't packaged right for any POPS that actually runs on a PSP-3000)

Anyone have any insights / ways to get these to work ? Or even what the earliest POPs that should work on a PSP3000 is ?

ETA
So I found a thread on a different website that suggests that most POPs versions do not work on PSP-3000 4gs (like mine)
Only 3.02 - 3.52 , and 6.20+

3.52 actually crashes the system to the point of power off when tried with Legend of Legaia, though it does get to the PS logo first, which is an improvement.

ETA2
Yes, this appears to be the problem. All of these games don't work on the 6.61 POPs and they are all set to a POPS version that doesn't work on the 4g PSP3000, because that was what was recommend for maximum compatabiity. I got Legend of Legaia to start by setting it to 3.02 but it's got graphics glitches. Guess I need to mess around and find out what the best compatibility is from the limited range available.

ETA3
After some futzing around none of the problematic ones run on 6.20+ POPS (which is odd because there's reports of at least Thousand Arms running on a 6.35 CFW without POPSloader but maybe that was on a PSP-2000, I did launch Lunar 2 on the 6.35 POPs successfully so it's not a matter of that being busted) but they all at least boot to the title screen on 3.52 (mostly) or 3.51 (legend of legaia) though they may have other issues.

ETA4
Well this was "fun" but I seem to have accounted for everything now. Perhaps this well help someone in the future.
Advertising
rsn8887

Re: Self-made PSX games have strange behavior on PSP-3000

Post by rsn8887 »

My suggestion is to always use the latest "pops from flash" (e.g. pops v6.61) with all games, together with the cdda_enabler plugin, see here for more info: viewtopic.php?p=377419#p377419
plugin download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fvlwo ... jZfEeGzvZO .

With that plugin, all games work for me apart from 2 or so that still require a switch to pops 3.52.
Advertising
Elaugaufein

Post by Elaugaufein »

I tried a couple of these with that setup as a quick test while I was investigating to no success but I'll make a more thorough investigation and see if it helps.

I suspect that a lot of these are being hindered by the same underlying issue (many of them are Atlus published games from around the same time period)

Edit - Ahhh, I see. I'd probably have to rerip and repackage these too, I don't think my original dumps are in the right format and probably aren't using the right eboot creator. I'll look into it and see if that helps.
aricjoshua

Post by aricjoshua »

Suikoden and Suikoden 2 both run flawlessly on either system because I have the PSN version.
In order to troubleshoot, I also changed the card back to the original PSP-2000 cookie clicker. I didn't make any changes, and the games still function (I'm using the same POPSLoader plugin and dumps as on the PSP-3000).

Return to “ISO/PSX Games Loading”