Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How to play games in TATE mode on a PSP Go with Dualshock 3

All the Help you need is here
reprep

How to play games in TATE mode on a PSP Go with Dualshock 3

Post by reprep »

I want to write about this but i am constantly delaying it because of laziness. Here is the beginning, hope it will give me enough motivation to go through the end. Here we go.

STATUS: NOT FINISHED YET. TO-DO: alternative solution for games which doesn't support DS3 remapper, settings for some PSP emulators.

I don't know if you noticed but PSP is a great little device for shooters. (or Shoot 'em ups or SHMUPs as i love to say.) It can emulate numerous consoles/arcades with great shooters and there are a lot of PSP shooter games. So you have many options to choose from.

Shooters can be vertical or horizontal. Some vertical shooters have a special TATE mode which you use the monitor/TV on its side to get the maximum view area. Here is a cool video that explains it better.[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

PSP has some games that use TATE mode like capcom collections, twinbee portable, space invaders pocket and so on. If you include the consoles/arcades PSP can emulate (PS1, neo-geo, CPS1, CPS2, PC Engine) this multiplies the total amount of TATE games. Also some PSP games like Pinball and Star Soldier has forced TATE mode which you HAVE TO flip your PSP/Vita to play it.

Yeah, you got it, TATE mode is cool, it is very close to arcade experience etc. etc. so what? The thing is even though TATE mode is cool, it is hard to play with the PSP/Vita when it is flipped 90 degrees. Even though you get the best use of the screen, you simply get tired after some time and have difficulty doing quick maneuvers necessary for shooters. The problem is much more severe on PSP Go. Because of the design, it is nearly impossible to play anything with PSP Go flipped to the side.

Well, we can connect a Dualshock 3 to the PSP Go, right? That should solve the problem. Unfortunately not. The thing is, when you choose TATE mode on PSP games (or when you are forced to it like Star Soldier) d-pad and analogs of PSP are flipped too to accommodate the flipped position of PSP. This includes the d-pad and analog of DS3 too. But the problem is, you don't hold your DS3 flipped like the PSP, you hold it straight. So your "up" on DS3 becomes "right" or "left" depending on which side your PSP screen is flipped and this makes the games unplayable.

Here is a simple solution to un-flip your Dualshock 3's analog and digital buttons to their original layout. Enable the DS3RemapperCW.prx plugin for the games which screen is flipped clockwise in TATE mode (Up in the game screen is directed towards face buttons of PSP) and DS3RemapperCCW.prx plugin for the games which screen is flipped counter-clockwise in TATE mode (Up in the game screen is directed toward d-pad of PSP). Remember to only enable it in PSP mode. It will disable the PSP buttons when it is enabled, only your Dualshock 3 buttons will work. Source of the plugin is included. Thanks to Total_Noob and Suloku.
DS3Remapperclockwiseandcounterclockwiseplugins.zip
Plugin
(20.9 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Hope this video makes it clear. Of course all games with TATE mode can be used, i used Star Soldier for this video.
Go here for the original DS3 remapper thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=39588

I will edit this post and include more goodies.
Advertising

Return to “Tutorials”