Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

What does a PSP ISO's APK contain?

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
sneezer420plus9

What does a PSP ISO's APK contain?

Post by sneezer420plus9 »

I'm looking into trying to decompile a PSP ISO file (more about extracting assets from it), and when I unzip said file; The largest file can be narrowed down to an APK file where the directory is

Code: Select all

PSP_GAME/USRDIR/pack/alld1.apk
When I open the iso file up with OpenEmu (emulator), I now have a save file where the directory is

Code: Select all

PPSSPP/PSP/SAVEDATA/GAMEIDDATA/ALLD2.APK
Suspiciously enough, both files are APK files, large in size, and cannot be opened with your casual file extractor. So I have 3 questions:
- What is in there that makes it so big?
- How do I open/unzip it?
- Why an APK file?

I have taken a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=31832 but no ASM file is provided throughout the ISO. There are 2 PRX files: psmf.prx & libpsmfplayer.prx.
Advertising
Last edited by sneezer420plus9 on Sat May 29, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
d@rk51d3

Re: What does an APK file do?

Post by d@rk51d3 »

ISO has been compiled for Android perhaps?
Advertising
sneezer420plus9

d@rk51d3 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:22 pm ISO has been compiled for Android perhaps?
I don't think so? Because an ordinary APK file would be able to be unzipped, hence in my post I said 'cannot be opened with your casual file extractor.', if this different APK is an archive file...
d@rk51d3

Post by d@rk51d3 »

As far as I was aware, APK could only be opened by Android.

VPK on the other hand can be opened by a standard archiver.
sneezer420plus9

d@rk51d3 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:02 am As far as I was aware, APK could only be opened by Android.

Check https://fileinfo.com/extension/vpk and https://fileinfo.com/extension/apk
d@rk51d3

Post by d@rk51d3 »

sneezer420plus9 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:17 pm
d@rk51d3 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:02 am As far as I was aware, APK could only be opened by Android.

Check https://fileinfo.com/extension/vpk and https://fileinfo.com/extension/apk
No problem.

So, from your links provided:

What is a VPK file?
A VPK file is an application package used to install third-party apps on a Sony PlayStation Vita gaming console. It contains multiple folders and files that make up a game, which may include .BIN, .XML, and .PNG files, that are compressed with Zip compression.

More Information
VPK files can only be installed on PlayStation Vita consoles that have been "jailbroken," or "hacked," with Henkaku. This Homebrew enabler allows users to better customize the content that can be used or played on the console. You can install apps packaged in a VPK file using VitaShell, which is a file manager that can be installed on the PlayStation Vita console.

Since VPK files are compressed using Zip-compression, you can extract the contents of the files using a Zip decompression utility, such as WinZip or 7-Zip. You may want to rename the .vpk file extension to .zip first and then open it with the decompression utility.

and

What is an APK file?
An APK file is an app created for Android, Google's mobile operating system. Some apps come pre-installed on Android devices, while other apps can be downloaded from Google Play. Apps downloaded from Google Play are automatically installed on your device, while those downloaded from other sources must be installed manually.

How do I view the contents of an APK file?
APK files are saved in a compressed .ZIP format and can be opened by any Zip decompression tool. Therefore, if you would like to explore the contents of an APK file, you can rename the file extension to ".zip" and open the file, or you can open the file directly through a Zip application's open dialog box.

So, have you renamed the file extension from .APK to .ZIP?
Should open up easily then.
If not, then its not your average APK.

Return to “General”