Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Security Flaws alerted. Wololo and Scene trash talked.

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Jd8531

Security Flaws alerted. Wololo and Scene trash talked.

Post by Jd8531 »

http://kotaku.com/5935263/ps-vita-is-fi ... rity-holes

This article has alot wrong with it.
Hot on the heels of the new firmware update, the hacker, wololo, who developed one of the first executable custom software (Vita Half Byte Loader or VHBL for short) for the Vita, has announced he will release a new VHBL on the same date as the firmware update release, or shortly after in September

Now with a major news site that sony watches, and sure to be article that will show up on others this could potientially alert sony to be really fast or even delay ps1 support but i doubt it. It would be awhile before we found any exploits in ps1 games and getting vhbl to run would be different to psp games. Still who knows with sony and how they think, they could delay to just be sure.

{Caution: Offensive language quoted below if you don't like that or if you are young}
And look at these absolutely insane comments that are offensive:
[spoiler]I am greatly offended, i know its the internet but the comments also are absoluetely urking; Calling all of us and even Wololo "**** heads who **** everything up and ***** like anonymous"

Just look how stupid this is:
Not impressed by this hacker guy's announcement. I understand that some people like to hack systems and that's all well and good, but it's apparent that PSX support on Vita was delayed because of security breaches. So now Sony has seemingly sorted them, and PSX support is finally coming, and this guy says "oh by the way, I'm going to have a hack ready on the day this is out."
It's great for the hacking community, but this **** only holds things up even more for people who just want to play the **** thing.
Hackers are *****.
The reason we don't have PS1 titles on Vita yet is specifically because of these hacker **** who are only hacking it "for the lulz" and ruining it for the rest of us.as many many other people pointed out in the comments here on this article, this guy is clearly doing it to be a ***, otherwise he wouldn't be making an announcement that he's going to be releasing what he is right around the time of the next Vita update. you can defend him all you want, but it's not going to change things.
hackers don't put games on the Vita they port old *** games that you can play on umpteen other already hacked systems. Getting a brand new console to play a compilation of old games on it is pretty dumb if you ask me. Pure laziness i don't even want to debate.
How about have some patience and earn something, THEN hack it after a good number of titles come out. How about a little respect for business it might go a long way.
[/spoiler]

thats just the tip of the iceberg. Im stunned. Maybey we should just stop doing the great things we are doing for everyone since they seem to not be appreciative of it.
Advertising
Last edited by Jd8531 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Salahkun

Re: Security Flaws alerted. Wololo and Scene trash talked.

Post by Salahkun »

Just f**k those guys...
Advertising
ImageImage
The Mana World Player Since 2005
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

Salahkun wrote:Just f**k those guys...
its just so irritating that they would say those things, i usually don't pay attention to internet comments but this is far beyond. We are not even anything near anonymous.
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

Most every site gets slander throw around in the comments section. Its nothing new. Talking about Homebrew/HENs/CFW in these places is a license to be thrashed.
These people think hacker == terrorist, yet far too many of these same users cheat online, demand features that only homebrew/HEN/CFW can provide, and turn a blind eye to corporate tactics to invade their privacy, control their devices, and rob them of what legal rights they have.

As for actual cyber-terrorists, they only play right into what corporations want, justifying the ever stronger laws and policies to control, monitor, and imprison.
By being unknown, those who commit such acts selfishly cause those who work openly to takes the full brunt of the peoples wrath, regardless of the validity to do so.

But after all these sad things, a few comments down, I see the light shine in someones eyes, as they first learn of the world where homebrew does so much good.
Though they are the same people who make it possible to patch PSP's Final Fantasy Tactic's slow-downs (including aspect ratio fix) for example which makes the game so much more playable. Square Enix said it was not possible to do so, and yet someone from the homebrew community made such wonderful patch. I believe Jason Schreier has reported that the iOS still has the slowdowns when you use specials/magic in FFT.
I had no idea there was a patch to fix that! Do you think you could PM me the info? I would love to pick up the PSP version again if it were actually made playable again.
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

jc_gargma wrote: These people think hacker == terrorist, yet far too many of these same users cheat online, demand features that only homebrew/HEN/CFW can provide, and turn a blind eye to corporate tactics to invade their privacy, control their devices, and rob them of what legal rights they have.
As for actual cyber-terrorists, they only play right into what corporations want, justifying the ever stronger laws and policies to control, monitor, and imprison.
By being unknown, those who commit such acts selfishly cause those who work openly to takes the full brunt of the peoples wrath, regardless of the validity to do so.
I could not have said this any better, people are close minded media sheep. I just wish everyone could be enlightened and enjoy the wonders of homebrew/hen/cfw instead of not investigating what it is and being so judgmental.

As for cyber terrorists, they don't see it as that. They believe the government is already doing that, as a product of that they "retaliate".
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Quite a fun article, and amusing comments to go with it. I guess I should make an account there just to troll people with the 'using devices that I own in a way that I want is actually legal and there's nothing you can do about it'. On the other hand, here's why not.
The first thing I don't like about it is that they put all of the responsibility on one guy. It is just not this way. If you are going to pretend you are some sort of journalist, at least get your facts right. Otherwise you're not worth my time. Yes, wololo is coordinating most of the effort put into vhbl. No, he did not write hbl, so he didn't write vhbl either. No, he did not find the exploits. Seems they never bothered checking if what they write is correct or not.
Reading the posts, here are the things that made me facepaw:
it's apparent that PSX support on Vita was delayed because of security breaches
Wait, what? Can you actually prove what you claim? Most likely not, since the PSX emulator doesn't have anything to do with the PSP emulator, most likely. On the other side, I can completely accept that writing an emulator is in fact a hard thing to do, and Sony cannot allow an unfinished or unstable product to be released. Which is why there was no PSX support on day one. heck, there was no vhbl when the Vita was released.
Meh, let's talk about how exploits in random games that allow you to run 528 different versions of pong and 20 year old games actually lead to piracy. Now, I should make myself some tea for reading all of this nonsense.
Hackers opening up the system and 'improving sales' means jack all to Sony, because it takes years before they make any money off of hardware sales and even then, you want the money from SOFTWARE sales, rolling in, you don't want bunch of people walking around with your system and not buying software, which if hackers get their way, that will happen. You know what happens when your software sales are in the tank buddy? Third parties don't develop for your system. That means no new software. But hey, you've got all of those OLD games, which is far better, right?
Point one: nobody can pirate Vita games. We just don't know how.
Point two: (v)hbl cannot run ISOs, some of which are pirated games.
Point three: even if vhbl were able to run ISOs, you would be able to only play PSP games on it, not Vita games
But hurray, glory to the brilliant strategy Sony has of never updating prices of games on PSN and reselling games to you over and over and over again. You buy a PSP, you buy a game. You buy a PSP Go, you have to buy it again. You buy a Vita, buy it a third time. Why not? *shrugs* Oh, and full price too.
Next thing I read across a few posts: the vhbl exploits caused games to be pulled down. Again false. Sony takes them down as soon as they see the announcement of a random guy on the Internet. But yeah, blaming a random guy on the Internet seems better.
Which is where I decide to stop. No point in reading on when they all repeat the same thing. Now I can go on about Sony's brilliant business strategies, but it's pointless. I won't change them, so I've made my choice.
If any of the people who posted there is actually reading this, here's what I would like to tell you:
Coldbird
Guru

Post by Coldbird »

Jd8531 wrote:I could not have said this any better, people are close minded media sheep. I just wish everyone could be enlightened and enjoy the wonders of homebrew/hen/cfw instead of not investigating what it is and being so judgmental.
Amen to that.

PS. I've laughed at the top comments, their ignorance always brings a smile to my face.
Ignorance is bliss - or so they say. :twisted:
PSP N-1000 ✔ / 6.20 PRO NIGHTLY ✔ / PRO ONLINE ✔
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

Xian Nox wrote: The first thing I don't like about it is that they put all of the responsibility on one guy. It is just not this way.

Exactly, and the way they attacked just him and the way Kotaku singled out Wololo and his website as where it all comes from is absurd.
Now, I should make myself some tea for reading all of this nonsense.

haha i need some advil, my head is killing me from the stupidity.
But hurray, glory to the brilliant strategy Sony has of never updating prices of games on PSN

I agree with this, psp games i've seen that over 7 years old are like $40 on psn and the fact is they still don't have the full catalog is just sad. (ahhh i want Kingdom Hearts) But at-least they're trying (so far) with the vita, they dropped the MSRP on a bunch of vita games already.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Hey guys, one thing I want to emphasize is that Toshi Nakamura is the journalist who interviewed me in this article. He is an extremely nice person, and I remember he warned me several times about the reactions/comments any article about hacking would get on kotaku. He was also extremely professional in his interview, coming back and asking for precisions when he needed them, and at the time he made a great summary of my answers.
So, I really think this writer is absolutely not to blame, and as far as mainstream gaming websites are concerned, Kotaku is so far the only site that has done their work well enough that they did more than copy/pasting Sony's Press Release about 1.80, since they did the connection with us.

Now, regarding the comments... well, we have to face it, some people seriously believe that hacking is evil. Believe me or not, the people with the hardest comments about hacking are (in real life) also the first ones who have come to me to see if I could "explain to them how to copy games". You will also not be surprised to find pirated copies of Windows, movies, mp3s, on these people's computers. I actually wrote an entire article about that (http://wololo.net/2012/03/28/its-not-co ... videogame/ ), although at the time it was about some people on the neogaf community.

But I Digress. Some hacking sites, especially us on this community, try to stay as far away as possible from piracy and online cheating (we even have a rule on the forum to NOT talk about online cheating software here) because we respect gamers. But we can't expect everybody on the kotaku community to check all hacking websites in the world to see if they have good standard or not.

Of course, I am sad that some people believe most hackers only like to do "ports" of old games (I built Wagic from the ground up for the PSP... yes, it's a ripoff of a famous game, but no, it is not a mere port...), but again, you can't expect random people on the internet to double-check their facts before they post a comment, now, can you?

So well, commenters on kotaku have their opinion on the subject, I have my personal opinion about brainless gamers who will spend their life on a couch, fed with preprocessed entertainment, and will never in their life produce anything remotely as creative as the hacks and homebrews I've seen since I've been on the scene... but let's leave it at that, opinions of various people on the internet.

We just have to live with the fact that there will always be some people who think any form of hacking, even VHBL, is not acceptable.
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
nCadeRegal

Post by nCadeRegal »

wololo boy they sure got some friggin nerve. screw kotaku. you da man and everyone who contributes. how about this I worked days to pay for MY VITA! ITS MINE I BOUGHT IT SO I WILL DO WHAT I dang WELL PLEASE WITH MY SYSTEM. cry all u want kotaku but u didnt break a sweat or contribute a dime to my purchase. Sony only has themselves to Blame for missed opportunitys and non existant features that i shouldve had from day one on my vita!!!!!!!!!
[spoiler]Ps3 Phat 80gb 4.65 Ferrox, Ps3 Slim 120gb 4.65 Darknet, Ps3 Slim 320gb 4.66 OFW, Ps4 Destiny Bundle, Vita 1K OFW, Vita 1K TN-v, to many PSP's to list, Vita TV OFW, Collector of consoles[/spoiler]

Return to “General”