Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[HELP] Semi-bricked my 2000.

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Ethene

[HELP] Semi-bricked my 2000.

Post by Ethene »

So I'm gonna preface this with this here for everyone who has a fully modded PSP.
BACKUP YOUR GORRAM NAND.
AS SOON AS YOU READ THIS SENTENCE.

Backed up yet?

No, seriously. Do it.

So I somehow managed to semi-brick my PSP-2000 (NOT v3).

I'm impatient but I understand you all have lives, so I'll be frequently updating this thread with my progress.
Hopefully anyone else with the same problems will find this thread.

This happened directly after installing a new screen, however it was collecting dust for the last month due to the last screen being broken.
Was originally running Pro-C2.
Model: 02g (Slim)
Mobo: TA-85 v2
Nand size: 64MB

Symptoms:
I can access the VSH.
Whenever running something from GAME, the power indicator blinks and the PSP shuts down.
Whenever entering sleep mode, the power indicator blinks and the PSP shuts down.
Whenever exiting from the CFW recovery menu the power indicator blinks and the PSP shuts down.

I managed to load up RAIN's MMS Maker Lite for 5.00 and install 5.00 OFW with a Pandora battery. Unfortunately, that didn't help, I have the same issues. It's seeming more and more like a physical defect, however I came across a wololo thread and figured it's a bricking problem.

Unfortunately I do not have a backup of the NAND. I understand that can seriously complicate issues, however I was unaware at the time that it was important. I have two other PSP 2000s that I could steal a NAND off of, but I don't understand what that is, so it's likely that it's device-specific.

Any help is appreciated.

Currently running 5.00 OFW.

UPDATE: sleep mode worked at one point. I tried running the 6.60 update, but it showed the psp game start logo and froze on it. I reset and sleep mode just caused it to blink and crash again. PSP 6.60 OFW update causes it to freeze up on the PSP logo screen now.

UPDATE 2: After running Rain's MMS lite to make a MMS for 5.00 (With the battery removed- only on AC), the psp went into sleep mode without crashing. Tried twice, didn't break.
I threw 6.60 OFW on the memstick and it didn't crash!
Got to 99% and got the error:
The update failed.
Contact technical support for assistance.
(LPTFFFFFFFE)
...And somehow I updated to 6.60.
I'm scared, guys.
Attempting to update to pro-c2.

UPDATE 3: I've managed to run the PRO update, however the VSH upon restart did not give menu options, just the wavy background.
But the second time I tried it worked like a charm.
CIPL flasher attempt 1: Success! upon reboot I got blank waves again, but I powered down and rebooted and it was fine.

Battery is still not plugged in.
MMS is still rain's, just with pro-c on it.
dumped nand via memstick. got the following message:

Dump completed.
The following bad blocks were found:

Not sure what to do, why not create new IDstorage?
That worked. Looks like it's time to format flash1 (according to a few things I've seen so far).
Welp, now it's fully bricked.

UPDATE 4:
Reinstalled M33 from the MMS and pandora battery.
WOOT! It booted!
installing 6.60 again...

UPDATE 5:
Screw it. I'm formatting all flashes.
Installing 5.00 M33 again.
Pulled NAND dump off of broken psp.

Pulling NAND off of my other PSPs while I can.
Working PSP (We'll call is PSP2): TA-85, 02g (Slim, Vader edition): Dump completed, bad block 1004 found.
Personal PSP (Calling is PSP3): TA-88, 02g (Slim, God of War) Dump completed, bad blocks 2776, 3297 found.

Putting NAND from PSP2 on the broken psp. Stop me if this is truly a terrible idea.

UPDATE 6:
...BAD IDEA.
Restoring old NAND.
Worked.
Phew.

Uh. Ran FF-Type 0.
Like, ran it.
Apparently it's fixed.
For now.

More as this develops, but... uh... follow my steps and maybe it'll unbrick your PSP?

Somebody tell me what I did right/wrong please, and give any suggestions you can!

So, for everyone out there, this is the save-all memory stick:
First make sure you have a pandora battery spare.
Run Rain's MMS maker Lite (for 5.00 firmware) on it, formatting and doing a full creation.
Then drag and drop 6.60 OFW into ms0:/PSP/Game/Update
also, get PRO-C2 update (should consist of update, CIPL flasher, and fast recovery. You won't need the latter).

Other than that, read what I did and figure the best course of action. GOOD LUCK ALL.

Nope. Booted it up this morning. Still broke. Help?

--> Turns out it works fine with a MMS inserted. Why is that? Maybe just luck on this boot-up?
Testing with resets and the like. Looks like creating an MMS while connected to the broken psp caused it to unbrick again? Even when I shut down and remove all media from it, it will still function just fine.

It seems to be alternating between working and not.
This is really confusing.
Advertising
The Z
VIP

Re: [HELP] Semi-bricked my 2000.

Post by The Z »

Create a new IDStorage via the DDCv8 tool (the one that installs 5.00 M33-4 via pandora battery).

Then flash the 5.00 M33-4 CFW via the very same tool.
Advertising
White PSV TV - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
White PSV 1000 - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
2x PSV 2000 - 32/64GB - 3.65 CFW
PSP Fat 1000 - TA-081 - 6.61 ME-2.3
PSP Slim 2000 - TA-085¹ - 6.61 ME-2.3
4x PSPgo & 1x PSP 3kº⁴ᶢ - 6.61 LME-2.3∞
Ethene

Post by Ethene »

The Z wrote:Create a new IDStorage via the DDCv8 tool (the one that installs 5.00 M33-4 via pandora battery).

Then flash the 5.00 M33-4 CFW via the very same tool.
Already did (as per the above update).
Wolfmade wrote:Are you absolutely sure that it isn't a hardware defect?
It's looking more like it. What kind of hardware defect can cause this? I went through and unplugged the visible ribbon connectors one by one while testing it, but sleep mode would always cause it to crash.
It may be due to the replacement screen, but that's doubtful.
Ombra91

Post by Ombra91 »

Broken NAND, seems some of psp slim are most likel prone to premature damage of nand...
I see some psp in this situation (i've repaired one of them making a reflow on the chip)
Sorry for my horrible engrish ;P
The Z
VIP

Post by The Z »

If format Lflash, recreate IDStorage and reflashing the CFW does not help, then it is not a software issue.

That combination completely wipes the flashes and should be capable of properly setting up a working software/firmware.
White PSV TV - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
White PSV 1000 - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
2x PSV 2000 - 32/64GB - 3.65 CFW
PSP Fat 1000 - TA-081 - 6.61 ME-2.3
PSP Slim 2000 - TA-085¹ - 6.61 ME-2.3
4x PSPgo & 1x PSP 3kº⁴ᶢ - 6.61 LME-2.3∞
satan89

Post by satan89 »

You have not mentioned if your PSP has the same symptoms on 5.00 m33 as well (or I missed it, I'm quite drunk atm)
I'm thinking you may have a bad 6.60 OFW update file. Redownload it and try.
Edit- oops sorry, you have mentioned it. My bad :oops:
Ethene

Post by Ethene »

Thank you all for the replies, now I know it's a hardware issue. Maybe I'll write a tutorial on fixing software issues by a factory reset some time.

Again, thanks!

EDIT: Also, if anyone has experienced this issue before and identified the broken hardware, what is it?
Ombra91

Post by Ombra91 »

Read my post, the only ,maybe, solution it's a reflow on chip...
Hopefully nand have a cracked joint, otherwise you can trash the modbo...
Sorry for my horrible engrish ;P

Return to “General”