Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Most of the homebrews discussed in this forum can be downloaded here
ponpon

Re: [RELEASE] Learn Japanese v0.9 (signed)

Post by ponpon »

Theredbaron wrote:
ponpon wrote:man i've been gone for over 2 years, i need to catch up on a lot of things. Is that for the PSP Vita? I'm thinking about picking up a PSP Vita for myself. Thanks for giving it a try
Yeah. The vita has a kernel hack (for the PSP EMU) for up to vita firmware 2.02 ala Uno, and a usermode hack up the 2.06 (latest) with Apache Overkill.

The Vita's PSP emu is based on a psp phat with firmware 6.60. However, it does not have the media engine. That, I would guess, is why this is crashing. I assume you access the ME for the video playback?

I have been sorta trying to learn Japanese for a while now. Would love to be able to keep up with gaming news by watching direct feeds from japan. Also I would love to be able to go to Akihabara :). Would have loved to been able to use this, but alas, no go.
ohh so does that mean that it's a permanent cfw? i just might have to get a vita now afterall haha i hope this will revive the psp programming community a bit. A lot of psp sites that i used to visit in the past are now either gone or inactive :(

As for the media engine, you know I'm not really sure what that is. I remember reading the Lua Player functions and they have something called Mp3me.load() and Mp3.load() and im sitting there trying to figure what's the difference. I assume the media engine is what the psp use to decode music and video, does it run faster if i use the media engine or something? These are the type of idiotic questions that i used to post at psp-hacks and other places XD it's no wonder they never feature my app.

As for the video playback, I use Lua Player Plus r142, and I believe they use flash0:/kd/mpeg_vsh.prx
I couldn't get video playback to work on any of the later revisions. Oh and for my app you can skip the intro by holding onto the R button while it's starting up. I probably should have mentioned that somewhere in the game.

My initial intention wasn't to learn Japanese actually, it was to learn how to program. As I was following some psp programming tutorials online (whatever happened to psp-programming anyways?), I've gotten to a button testing portion and I thought maybe I can make a multi-tap key press function similar to how classic flip phones work except with the text mapped onto the psp buttons. So I ventured off and started doing my own thang. Then I started thinking about making something that was useful rather than a boring button tester app. And I always wanted to learn Japanese, growing up I went through a weeaboo phase XD so I thought I'll use Japanese as something to work with. Originally I didn't have a menu, it was just that first level of the game, I was just tossing in any random Japanese words and phrases in there, but as I got deeper into the project, I really tried to construct the stages in a way that it'll make sense and give people a sense of gradual self improvement, opposed to just tossing in any random words. So if anybody happened to look into my source code and noticed how sloppy it is, that's the reason why XD

DS_Marine wrote:oh man! I was pulling my hair out with that keyboard for the first minutes, then I opened the png file with the info in my computer :D
but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty good. Maybe you could make a key combination (if you can spare one) to show the key help file.
Am I rusty, or the program is too unforgiving? I took like 45 minutes to clear lv2 (started there), and anytime a new word appeared, I typed in fear that there could be a slight difference an my streak would be lost!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But since I'm also a coder/tester I can't help it :lol:
for "but..." I typed でも。。。 busted!
I learned Japanese for the 2004 world cup (but couldn't get the money to go in the end. ah, the highschool days,,,) so yes, I'm rusty.
the xmb video...loool.
ponpon wrote:That's Nurse Joy from Pokemon lol it's actually the icon for my alternative version, v0.9B which is switchable in the options menu. that version doesn't have MP4 playback, but it has Japanese text input.
Oh right, now that you say it, I see... I didn't recognized her, umm.. face.

looking forward to unlock all levels...
keep the good work!

lol I know at first I was beginning to have doubts about the system I created. But I played on it so much that I've just gotten used to button placement where I don't have to look anymore when I type. Often ties I visualize how I want something to work, but once i get it to materialize, it doesn't work exactly how I had envisioned. Like with the Karaoke game, in my head I'm thinking Parappa the Rapper, and it's going to be simplistic. But once I tried it, I'm like OMG this is way too difficult for the causal player. You would need to be a stepmania expert to play that. I was able to score a 92% only because I memorized it, there's no way I can just play it from the start. But then again maybe it'll help people with memory, it did help me memorize the entire Hare Hare Yukai (TVsize) song XD

Yes that's a great idea, I should implement a Help Screen during gameplay. Speaking of which, I really need to reorder some of the locations in the menu. I should put the How to Play and Options menu in the 1st menu. Those features I've added along the way in later versions and I never gotten around to revamping the menu.

The questions/answers remain the same it's just early on in the development, I was still learning myself so if there's some inaccuracies or confusing parts, um my apologies i'll try to simplify it later XD i'm going to try and follow a text book from now on to make sure everything is legit. But you know, it's beneficial to spot errors and question some of the confusing bits. it helps your mind be more aware and adapted to the language.

I never took a Japanese course But I have been to Japan before :D
Hehe since my nickname is Pon, i thought it'll be fitting to use that video. Thanks for the words of encouragement, there's so many ideas I want to add in there. I even want to include a dating sim or a RPG.
Advertising
Theredbaron

Post by Theredbaron »

Not "exactly". Every time you start the PSPemu it copies over stock flash0-1 files. You still have to start a game, in my case Uno, and load up a save. However once you load up TN-V, you get the normal PSP menu. Pressing select+start emu's the home menu, to return to the XMB. Lets you use almost all homebrew (that don't depend on ME), ISO's, and PSX games (without audio since no ME). You can press the home menu on the vita, and do thinks like internet, music, ect as well. Running other games, youtube, netflix, or anything "big" will need to close Uno, thus stop the hack.

Also, no USB. Kinda of hard to get stuff on, you have to zip a file (in all caps), in your save, and use a stupid sony program called CMA. Or do as I do and use VitaFTP.

I too hope for a revival. Would love to see Filer updated to use the newly found move function, instead of just copying and removing.

As for MP3me.load vs MP3.load, yeah, the ME would mean the media engine. It is both faster, as well as better on battery life, as it is much more streamlined. Bear in mind I am not a coder, just some of the stuff I have learned over the years.

By holding R it did start. And I have no idea what I am doing :). Going to have to try and figger this out. O, and by changing the settings to the "b" version, it starts fine. As well as playing the video start up with music.

As for the keyboard stuff, look up Danzeff psp keyboard. Might be a cool thing for you to look into. My prefered keymaping "thing".
Advertising
Vita 3G - 4GB/8GB - 3.00 TN-V
GrimFandango
Banned

Post by GrimFandango »

OH MY GAWD. They have Pon Pon Pon song. :D
ponpon

Post by ponpon »

Theredbaron wrote:Not "exactly". Every time you start the PSPemu it copies over stock flash0-1 files. You still have to start a game, in my case Uno, and load up a save. However once you load up TN-V, you get the normal PSP menu. Pressing select+start emu's the home menu, to return to the XMB. Lets you use almost all homebrew (that don't depend on ME), ISO's, and PSX games (without audio since no ME). You can press the home menu on the vita, and do thinks like internet, music, ect as well. Running other games, youtube, netflix, or anything "big" will need to close Uno, thus stop the hack.

Also, no USB. Kinda of hard to get stuff on, you have to zip a file (in all caps), in your save, and use a stupid sony program called CMA. Or do as I do and use VitaFTP.

I too hope for a revival. Would love to see Filer updated to use the newly found move function, instead of just copying and removing.

As for MP3me.load vs MP3.load, yeah, the ME would mean the media engine. It is both faster, as well as better on battery life, as it is much more streamlined. Bear in mind I am not a coder, just some of the stuff I have learned over the years.

By holding R it did start. And I have no idea what I am doing :). Going to have to try and figger this out. O, and by changing the settings to the "b" version, it starts fine. As well as playing the video start up with music.

As for the keyboard stuff, look up Danzeff psp keyboard. Might be a cool thing for you to look into. My prefered keymaping "thing".
Ahh okay, like HBL. I still use HBL for my PSP Go. MP4 Doesn't work on the PSP Go either unless I enable homebrew. I wonder if there's a way around that? The TN-V sounds great, if I become persistent in coding again I'll probably purchase a Vita. I have 3 PSPs and I rarely play games on there. I just like to experiment. I even placed an order for a Open Pandora back in 2010, and I'm sitll waiting on that thing! I know those guys are honest or whatever, but come on, 3 years is just inexcusable. My interest in programming isn't even that high anymore, so if it arrives now I'm probably just going to let it sit for months. It's very difficult for me to get started on something, even if it's just starting a new game. That's my problem haha it took me 5 years to finally sit down and mess with a PSP. I took a interest in it when I fixed a computer for a family friend, and he asked me if I know how to hack a PSP. I said I didn't but I bet I can figure it out. So I took his PSP and experiment with it and that's when I started to get immersed in homebrew, I didn't even know what a homebrew was at that time haha but after I installed a cfw on his, I had to get a PSP of my own. I'm a retro gamer so I really like running emulators and playing old school style games.

There's no USB on the Vita? man oh man. I actually know about the .zip method, I used to upload my homebrew to this one guy's homebrew store, gah i forgot his name. But I had to put the full directory path in the zip so it will let users download the homebrew online directly from their psp. It was a bit tedious, but I'm glad there's a way around it.

It seems kind rather odd that they would have both functions with or without the media engine lol but I guess it's needed for compatibility purposes.

The controls for my app is a bit confusing at first, but if you're familiar with text messaging on flip phones, it's pretty much like that. The championship mode is something I came up with which caters to users who are already familiar with the Japanese writing system. It works surprisingly well, I never switched back to Normal mode. I probably still type slow on Normal mode, but using the Championship / 日本語 mode I can type effortlessly.

I experimented with a lot of different OSK before I went into creating mines. The Danzeff one was cool and comprehensive, I even used it to edit .lua scripts. But I just couldn't type fast enough on it. I wanted to create something stripped down and simple that the average user can pick up quick so that's why I wanted to design my own OSK. If you haven't seen my YT demonstration video, check it out, I can type pretty fast on it >:D
GrimFandango wrote:OH MY GAWD. They have Pon Pon Pon song. :D
Ahh I see you're a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu fan hehe
I want to add that song into the Karaoke library. Since I had to design the karaoke game from scratch, I wanted to use a short song first in order to get the mechanics down. It took me a while to develop something that was playable. Doing the timecode was such a headache, if anybody ever mess with fansubbing before you know what I mean. But I think I figured out a workable solution to speed up the process in the future. Another thing I dislike doing is the animation sequences, it's so repetitive. I was planning on adding a lot of animation during the Haruhi dance but I got too lazy. I'll continuously add more frames after each update.

I should probably post shorter replies, I notice my post needs to be approved by a mod when I type long messages :lol:
Theredbaron

Post by Theredbaron »

God, I want an Open Pandora. Just an awesome device.

And it does have a port, that you connect to usb for the CMA, but it doesn't give access to the flash like a normal memory card. They only way to use it is with CMA.
ponpon

Post by ponpon »

Theredbaron wrote:God, I want an Open Pandora. Just an awesome device.

And it does have a port, that you connect to usb for the CMA, but it doesn't give access to the flash like a normal memory card. They only way to use it is with CMA.

I ordered the original version before they started having issues with their PCB manufacturer and almost went bankrupt. I nearly forgot about it until they emailed me an update back in December to notify me of what's going on, which is another gripe that i had with them, not everybody go to the forums and read up on the latest happenings, they should better inform people on what's going on because some folks like me, I just purchased it on a whim and didn't put much thought into it. They offered me upgrade to the Pandora 2.0 for a extra $350, and I'm like.. that kinda defeats the purpose of me waiting 3 years at the original price doesn't it? I mean the Pandora 2.0 currently available in stock right now So that means I basically invested 3 years for nothing lol and honestly, I dont see much difference from a Vita but that's just me and my lack of understanding/interest in benchmarks and specs. Im old school XD I just wanted to to experiment with homebrews and emulators. but now i feel like i kinda have to upgrade or i'll left with something inferior.

Oh okay, i really should research things before I open my mouth lol in my mind im thinking I don't want to spoil it for myself because I do enjoy to research things, Its just I like to either fully indulge myself in the subject, or I dont even glance at it at all. i'll check it out eventually.

And hey if anybody reaches stage 11 in my app, there's a easter egg in there to get Akuma to show up. After you clear the stage, perform a raging demon
(square, square, Right, Cross, R) and he'll show up ^__^
Last edited by ponpon on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS_Marine
Developer

Post by DS_Marine »

ponpon wrote:And hey if anybody reaches stage 11 in my app, there's a easter egg in there to get Akuma to show up. After you clear the stage, perform a raging demon
Good, I was just thinking if I was going to unlock something after beating all the levels :D (If I ever manage to that)
ImagePSP-Controlled drone
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" -Wololo
ponpon

Post by ponpon »

DS_Marine wrote:
ponpon wrote:And hey if anybody reaches stage 11 in my app, there's a easter egg in there to get Akuma to show up. After you clear the stage, perform a raging demon
Good, I was just thinking if I was going to unlock something after beating all the levels :D (If I ever manage to that)
If you manage to clear all the stages, then you just may very well be the only person (besides me) who actually completed the entire game XD I imagine the average person who isn't familiar with the Japanese language may take weeks to beat, but someone who is familiar with the culture may finish it in a few days. I was able to clear everything in under two hours but I already know all the answers lol

yes there is something unlockable if you clear the game. There are two endings, one on each version. The v0.9B ending is the old ending I had for my previous release, the one for v0.9A is entirely new. You can easily access the endings anytime after you beat the game so you can switch versions to check it out.

I'm kind of embarrassed that someone might see the alternate ending that i made for v0.9a XD im the type of person who loves to create things, but am shy when i see someone actually inspecting it. anyways... i got a idea for the game where players can get coins for answering questions correctly, then they can purchase new unlockable items in a store inside the game. Such as new characters, outfits, karaoke songs, new levels etc. So many ideas I want to incorporate D;
Theredbaron

Post by Theredbaron »

I have nothing really to say about your app, as I havn't had time to use it again, and I don't want to go off topic but...

What the heck? An OpenPandora 2? I havn't heard nor seen anything about that. Can you get me a link, as I can't seem to find anything about it except for a forum thread saying it would be cool
ponpon

Post by ponpon »

Theredbaron wrote:I have nothing really to say about your app, as I havn't had time to use it again, and I don't want to go off topic but...

What the heck? An OpenPandora 2? I havn't heard nor seen anything about that. Can you get me a link, as I can't seem to find anything about it except for a forum thread saying it would be cool

It's cool, i know my app is not really for everybody ^^
I hope it's decent enough to get accepted in the database though, maybe i should try submitting it again.

I didn't really look much into the Pandora 2.0 offer they gave me, but here's the email they sent me:
Craig here, from OpenPandora.

We want to give you an update about what's been happening.

Our first PCB manufacturer almost destroyed us by failing to produce over 1000 PCBs at an
acceptable quality - we lost over $250,000, this was a disaster for us.

We're asking you for your help. We have produced a Super-Pandora 2.0 in limited numbers.

We want to ask you to upgrade to this unit for Christmas.

New features include:
A 1Ghz CPU (overclockable to ~1.2Ghz), 512MB of RAM, A Substantially faster 3D chip,
a much more robust case, a new LCD cable & genuine 10-15 hours of full use battery life.

This makes the Pandora 2.0 about twice as fast as the previous model - it's also made
by a new manufacturer in Germany, we have these units ready to ship, but they have cost
us substantially more to manufacture.

The upgrade price is $350. We know you won't all want to do this, but if some of you do
it will help us survive - and help us ship out more orders.

Top level emulators really fly now - PSX, N64, PC (up to Pentium emulation), MAME,
Amiga1200 - as well as Android games (you can run Android now) such as GTA3 & Max Payne -
with real controls - the extra power of the new Pandora is superb.

Please reply if you want to upgrade to this unit. It will hugely help us in making the
Pandora a success and lead on to future developments.

Thanks,

Craig and the OpenPandora team.

shoot for a extra $350 they better give me a extra battery or something. making me wait that long. Judging from their store, they're most likely referring to the 1ghz Pandora version. They initially told me to expect the Pandora to arrive around October of 2010, here we are well into 2013 and the only update I've received was that email above haha.

Return to “Homebrews”