Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Updating from an old CFW

Unleash the full power of your PSP with a Custom Firmware.
Download and installation tutorial at http://wololo.net/wagic/cfw4dummies
rpgfanatic808

Updating from an old CFW

Post by rpgfanatic808 »

Hey guys. I'm going to be upgrading my PSP. I'm currently running Dark Alex's old software,
5.00 M33-6, and am pretty sure I'll be moving up to 6.60 ME CFW.

I have a few questions though that I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer, or point me to a thread that has the answer I'm looking for.

1) Do I need to do anything special for my upgrade? I'm already running CFW, and I have a pandora battery. Should I just do an update to the 6.60 OFW, then run the CFW patch from XMB as I've seen so many tutorials suggest? Or is there a better way to do it for my particular case?

2) Which version of ME should I go with? I'm mainly going to be emulating old games. NES, SNES, GBA, N64, && PSX in particular. Is there a specific version of ME that is more stable/compatible with emulation?

3) And from what I've read, aside from preference, could someone explain to me the difference between ME, PRO, and HEN?

Thanks so much.
Advertising
Last edited by rpgfanatic808 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Updating from an old CFW

Post by fate6 »

6.61 ME is what I would recommend and you can just update stirght from 5.00 M33 just fine.
iirc simply place the 6.61 eboot with the eboot for the ME installer and it will update and install the CFW for you, You do have to rename the update eboot but I can't remember to what.

Check the readme.

Anywhoo ME and PRO might as well be the same by this point and a HEN just enables homebrew without installing itself.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
rpgfanatic808

Post by rpgfanatic808 »

Awesome. Any particular version of ME? I've read that the 6.60 ME 2.2 is more solid than the 2.3.
Like I said, I'm mainly just be emulating.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Just go with the latest? its what I do at least :/
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
rpgfanatic808

Post by rpgfanatic808 »

Right on. I actually think I downloaded 6.60 anyways, totally spaced haha. It seems permahacked, but I didn't do anything but run the launcher?
Last edited by rpgfanatic808 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpgfanatic808

Post by rpgfanatic808 »

Whoa. So I just almost just lost my...stuff. It was all working. I was in recovery startup. I turned one of my OG batteries into a "jigstick" battery. I wanted to test if it was permanent, so I unplugged and pulled the battery out. When I put the battery back, still unplugged, it wouldn't start. Freaked. Plugged it in. Didn't work. Freaked some more. Took out the battery, while still plugged in, turns on. Phew. Checked the system info, still running CFW. Sweet. The eff with my battery tho? So I tried it again. Same results, but this time, while both the battery and cord were plugged in, I pushed X, the power light blinked, so I took out the battery, turned it on, and when it started up, I was running OFW (O.o)

I'm assuming it has something to do with me turning it into a jigstick, but is there a way to "undo it"? The green light shows its charged up, but the psp won't turn on. Not even into recovery. I want that battery, man : (
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

That is very odd and it should boot OFW if you hold the Home button so IDK what up with holding X.
Anywhoo you can change the battery back to normal in the recovery menu if you have a 1k or early 2k PSP so try starting the PSP without the battery then put it in after.

And yes its a full cIPL Super Ultra Arcade 2016 Limited Edition install.
(It's a permanent install just like M33 is what im trying to say)
rpgfanatic808

Post by rpgfanatic808 »

Weird right? I just did it again. Pushed X and it swapped to OFW. Again. Back to CFW. Anywhoo, thanks for the help. Put the battery in after turning it on and ran recovery from VSH, was able to put it back to normal and it works fine now.

Haha ok. I constantly have read about it being (L)CFW and being able to dual (even triple) boot from the MS, so I figured I had to do something else to make ME permanent.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Guess X also lets you boot into OFW? IDK.

LCFW does need a perma patch but ME also comes in the full non "light" version which is what you installed so think of it as a much newer M33.
The Z
VIP

Post by The Z »

If you use a Pandora battery, your memory stick needs a specific IPL injected, so the PSP can boot despite having a pandora battery.

ME CFW = Always permanent (cIPL).

LME CFW = Temporary CFW, requires launcher. (can be made permanent via perma patch on 6.20 or via Infinity FW("6.61")).
White PSV TV - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
White PSV 1000 - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
2x PSV 2000 - 32/64GB - 3.65 CFW
PSP Fat 1000 - TA-081 - 6.61 ME-2.3
PSP Slim 2000 - TA-085¹ - 6.61 ME-2.3
4x PSPgo & 1x PSP 3kº⁴ᶢ - 6.61 LME-2.3∞

Return to “Custom Firmwares (HEN/CFW/LCFW)”