Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

which cfw? (running ofw 6.20 on psp-2000) help please!

Unleash the full power of your PSP with a Custom Firmware.
Download and installation tutorial at http://wololo.net/wagic/cfw4dummies
damien907

which cfw? (running ofw 6.20 on psp-2000) help please!

Post by damien907 »

hey everyone, im currently running ofw 6.20, but would like to upgrade to a cfw so i can play emulators (gameboy/gba/snes/sega genesis/gamegear), i will also be wanting to play orignial psx games and if possible sony umd's (specifically my breath of fire iii umd that i just bought, but then found out that all umds dont work with cfw) i would like to be able to play iso's of my UMDs if that were possible as well. i may even load up a movie or a few short clips and watch them from time to time, and it would be nice to be able to browse the internet as well.

so my question is: what cfw would be best for me and my needs? ive been searching and searching and it seems never ending, i was gonna get the m33 one but then i found out that it stopped having updates, so i found out about prometheus (is 5.50 the latest update for that?) would this work fine?

it seems the more i research the more questions i find, as this is totally new territory for me, but i am pretty tech savy so i think i can figure it out if i had a little help.

i see that most of the cfw files are .rar or .zip files, so do i just expand them then drag everything from them into my "game" folder when my psp is mounted to my computer?

im using a mac and most tutorials i have found are for windows, but im pretty confident that i can see the differences and take it from there, but the biggest question is, what cfw am i gonna use?

could i use the cfw (prometheus 5.50 at this link to do everything i wanted?

http://pspslimhacks.com/custom-firmware ... -released/

i noticed there was 2 files to download there, is the first one an upgrade from the previous version of prometheus and the second one the full cfw? would i download the second one to get it to work because im coming from factory firmware?

one last thing, i see a cfw called tn_hen this uses the ofw 6.20, would this be the best choice for me figuring what i want to use my psp for? isnt that better that it uses OFW, then i can run most UMD's right from it with no problems right?

sorry for the super long post, but i have alot of questions and not many answers that i can find, i also did a search so apologies if this has already been asked.
thanks in advance for your replies :D
Advertising
damien907

Re: which cfw? (running ofw 6.20 on psp-2000) help please!

Post by damien907 »

i have done some more research and found that all psp-2000s arent hackable, i found that the serial number is HU1......., is this psp gonna be hackable?
i read here that a hu2 is compeletely unhackable, but i still have hope because mine is an hu1.
Advertising
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

Since you're already on 6.20 you should just use 6.20PRO-Cf3 (found here - http://cf6d84fb.linkbucks.com/ [Coldbird's link, not mine])

You can find LME/ME 1.8 by Neur0n here - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7334#p81564

Why go through the trouble of downgrading to a CFW that hasn't been supported for a long time?

You could also update your PSP to 6.60 and use either PRO-C or LME (I don't know what motherboard your PSP has so until you find out you should stick with an (L)CFW. If you find that you have one of the 2000 motherboards that can run a full CFW then you can either cIPL flash PRO or use ME 1.8 for 6.39/6.60. Once you install either (L)CFW on 6.20-6.60 you can use PSPIdent or PSP Everest to find out if your 2000 is fully hackable)
Attachments
PSPident-075.zip
(61.53 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
PSP Everest 2.3.zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
I AM A RETIRED MODERATOR!
damien907

Post by damien907 »

thanks for your reply, im gonna try to install the pro cf3 you recomended, will post up again and see if it works.
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

It will work, it's one of the easiest to install (L)CFW's I've ever seen.

All you have to do is copy the PRO UPDATE and Fast Recovery folders into your Game folder, disconnect your PSP, run PRO UPDATE, follow the instructions on the screen and you're done.

After it's installed you can delete PRO UPDATE and just use Fast Recovery when you fully power off your PSP (or if it happens to crash, which can happen from time to time when running certain homebrews etc)
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
damien907

Post by damien907 »

ah, it worked! awesome! thanks alot!
so basically, every time i hard power off my psp, not put into sleep mode, ill just got to
game>pro fast recovery, hit x and it will execute?

does istalling a full cfw make it so i dont have to do this small step?
im gonna try to download pspident and see if i have a fully hackable one now.
will post back soon.

thanks alot for your help!
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

damien907 wrote:ah, it worked! awesome! thanks alot!
so basically, every time i hard power off my psp, not put into sleep mode, ill just got to
game>pro fast recovery, hit x and it will execute?
Exactly.
damien907 wrote:does istalling a full cfw make it so i dont have to do this small step?
Yes, a full CFW (if your PSP is fully hackable) will make it so you only have to install it once and it will load automatically when ever your turn your PSP on.
damien907 wrote:im gonna try to download pspident and see if i have a fully hackable one now.
will post back soon.

thanks alot for your help!
Good luck. Remember that PSPIdent is an app so it goes in the same Game folder that you put Fast Recovery in and it starts just like a game. When you run it you will see a lot of details on the screen (just like the "PSP 3001 4g 6.20PRO-Cf3" clickable link in my signature) that will tell you what motherboard your PSP has and suggest the best firmware etc.
damien907

Post by damien907 »

ok, so i just installed pspident and took a screenshot of it, from what i gather, my psp is hackable, but cant create a pandora, what does that mean?

here is a screenshot of my image

Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

That means that you can use the cIPL flasher for PRO CFW or you can install ME 1.8.

I suggest you update to 6.60 that way you can decide which of those you want to use.

PRO for the online functions or ME for the old homebrew support.

Personally I'd go with PRO for the online support, I think you'll get more use out of that but there are others (who will post in this thread later I'm sure) who can give a good argument as to why you should use ME 1.8.

The choice is really up to you though, you're the one that's going to be using your PSP all the time.
damien907

Post by damien907 »

dope, so pretty much i hit a homerun? i was worried for a minute about it not being hackable.

is the cipl flasher pretty much ah full version (as in i can power off my psp and it will still work upon power up) of the cfw that i just installed?

how would i go about reverting back to my earlier ofw? just delete the cfw files?

here is a list of what i want to do with my psp
1. play emulators of umd games, psx games, gb/gbc/gba, snes, sega genesis, and gamegear games <---- this is the reason i bought a psp again in the first place. sure it would be nice to have online features, but they take a backseat to the emulation aspect of this cfw. i really want to be able to play psx and gameboy advance games.
2. watch movies be them umd's or movies ive loaded onto my memory stick (i probably wont be doing this that much at all)
3. surf the internet

the online aspect of the PRO intrigues me though, what exactly does this mean for online-ness?

all in all if i mostly want to play emulators and watch movies, for various different systems do you think i should probabably go with the me 1.8?

and to be clear i would be dl the permanent version of either of these, not the (L)cfw version right?

**********edit
one last thing, i just put my breath of fire umd into the psp to see if it would work, and it did (im still running 6.20 pro-C) but it wouldent let me save; it said i didnt have enough space. is this because my memorycard isnt formatted? i should have plenty of space because i have an 8gb memory stick in there, i installed the cfw without formatting it and it worked fine, but maybe thats my problem? will it erase my cfw if i format my card?

Return to “Custom Firmwares (HEN/CFW/LCFW)”